+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need T2 Tank Advice

Plane Walker

Default Need T2 Tank Advice

I've recently started doing T2 with PUG's and guild and I'm finding it tough. Tough because I don't have enough toughness.

With 4 main pieces of T1 gear I get 100 Toughness, plus runes = 120. My health is around 8K.

How does everyone gear up for this? I know 100 is the minimum, that's fine if you're running with well geared guildies. But in a PUG, throw in bads and other min geared people and it's a wipe.

Do people just grind T1's for tokens, take their chances doing T2's with PUG's or get guildies together? Anyone got any good suggestions for getting tanking gear? I've been told to get crafted gear, but I don't have plat for that as I only play a few hours a week.

Ascendant

100 toughness. Anything after that is useless in expert dungeons. FACT.

You're thinking way too much about 'I have the toughness and lots of hitpoints' and not enough about 'my armor is **** and I can't dodge/block any attacks'. I grinded in T1s until I had T1 plaque gear in every slot for tanking, as well as 2 purple weapons with tanking stats and semi-good tanking jewelery. THEN I tried tanking T2s.

You can skip content if you're DPS. You can skip content if you're a healer. You CANNOT skip content as a tank unless the rest of the group is carrying your gimp arse through the dungeon.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Prophet of Telara

100 toughness is the max for T2s. Beyond 100 and it's useless. T1 raids are 150, T2 raids are 200, etc. etc.

The stats you should be shooting for after that are health and armor. 8k of each is a decent target to start T2s.
    Last edited by MrFunsocks; 09-01-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Soulwalker

which spec are you running?
    what's your block score (if you're warrior)

I didn't have issues running T2 as soon as I've had the gear for them, so asking, since there might be another issue

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    You can skip content if you're DPS. You can skip content if you're a healer. You CANNOT skip content as a tank unless the rest of the group is carrying your gimp arse through the dungeon.
    I didn't skip T1, I did as many runs as I needed to do to get all my T1 gear from the plaque vendor.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    100 toughness is the max for T2s. Beyond 100 and it's useless. T1 raids are 150, T2 raids are 200, etc. etc.

The stats you should be shooting for after that are health and armor. 8k of each is a decent target to start T2s.
    Ok, I thought toughness was the main stat to aim for, didn't know it did not count after 100.

So should I go for gear with Endurance, Armor and Block (in that order of importance)?

run another role in t2 dungeons. if i was in a t2 dungeon and i saw my tank had 8k health i would ask to be kicked just wait the 30 minutes to requeue.

you can also buy the new crafted gear to augment your current equipment as well. if you don't have any money then try to coordinate time for crfting with your guild or leech off of other groups.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xuni View Post
    which spec are you running?
    what's your block score (if you're warrior)

I didn't have issues running T2 as soon as I've had the gear for them, so asking, since there might be another issue
    I mainly run Reaver with some Pally or a heavy pally build.

I'm finding my health is spiking and quite hard for the healer to keep me alive. I think MrFunsocks is right, I've been concentrating too much on one stat and neglegting the rest.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Syxx573 View Post
    run another role in t2 dungeons. if i was in a t2 dungeon and i saw my tank had 8k health i would ask to be kicked just wait the 30 minutes to requeue.

you can also buy the new crafted gear to augment your current equipment as well. if you don't have any money then try to coordinate time for crfting with your guild or leech off of other groups.
    How much health should a tank have?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Behindya View Post
    How much health should a tank have?
    As a rogue I had about 10k when I started T2s.

I'm finding my health is spiking and quite hard for the healer to keep me alive. I think MrFunsocks is right, I've been concentrating too much on one stat and neglegting the rest.
    Void Knight(51)/Paladin(9)/Warlord(6)

You will literally be able to roll your face on the keyboard and hold agro (see my sig). At that point you can focus on not getting killed, by using your buffs etc.

I didn't skip T1, I did as many runs as I needed to do to get all my T1 gear from the plaque vendor.
    If you have full T1 plaque armor, then its a spec issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post

As a warrior tank, something like this is your stat priority:

STR > armour > Block > End > DEX > Dodge > Parry
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Void Knight(51)/Paladin(9)/Warlord(6)

You will literally be able to roll your face on the keyboard and hold agro (see my sig). At that point you can focus on not getting killed, by using your buffs etc.

STR > armour > Block > End > DEX > Dodge > Parry
    I have a void knight build that I dont use as last time I did I failed bad. My understanding is that VK was for casters, is that correct?

I'll have a go at it again this weekend.

Soulwalker

ok, please do yourslef a favor and go 51VK/9pala/6WL at your gearlevel, it's by far the best spec for your gearlevel (it offer 2 main things, 1st, impressive effective health, and second, tons of antimagic buttons) and focus on strength now for block. health will come.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xuni View Post
    ok, please do yourslef a favor and go 51VK/9pala/6WL at your gearlevel, it's by far the best spec for your gearlevel (it offer 2 main things, 1st, impressive effective health, and second, tons of antimagic buttons) and focus on strength now for block. health will come.
    Will do.

/10char

If you want some pretty good tanking info to get you going have a look at Ciderhelms guides. It is a heck of a lot easier starting point to look at these than try to explain it to you.

But for info, I run a 51VK build for specific bossess thet need purged or have huge magic attacks, plus a Warlord/Reaver/Pally build I use even at low gear levels for most content, as the call plus other support abilities are great for general play in t1 and t2s. Finally a heavy duty blocker 44 Pally/22 Reaver. This spec, whilst having no spotters orders, has great solo survivability and has a block everything talent for 10 seconds.

Those 3 are the tank specs I am running at the moment and they seem to fit every occasion in a t1 and t2 plus DH/GP which is where the tank is at, as it is my 3rd 50 I am gearing up. It has 2 DPS builds...51 RB/15 Para and 38 Para/22 Champ/6 RB so I have options when Off Tanking and no other tank is neaded. One of the DPS builds can always go should I need a special weird build in the future for tanking. Till then they will do.

Prophet of Telara

51 VK actually has some of the best physical mitigation as well as magic, what it lacks are any cooldowns to deal with physical damage. A 44 pally build is probably by far the best for dealing with T2 trash, you can rotate cooldowns and effectively always have some kind of mitigation going on you to make life very easy on your healer. Paladin's Reprisal to stun all mobs, Disarming Counterblow to disarm the biggest of a pack, Impenetrable Defense to block everything, Reverent Protection to shield a bit, maybe a potion occasionally, and a full heal if necessary. By the time you use a few of those, at least 1 will be off cooldown again. On bosses it's not as useful because they can't be stunned/disarmed, and other builds shine more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast