+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 67% of All Tanks Fail . So Why be a Tank?

Plane Walker

Default 67% of All Tanks Fail . So Why be a Tank?

Having tanked 100s of T1 and T2 dungeons , and 100s of dungeons before that Ive come to the conclusion im not going to ever tank a raid dungeon because every guild that raids doesnt need a tank because they already have 2 tanks .

So my advice would be to fellow pre raid tanks is to get dps gear not tank gear , don't waste your time with tanking , the future is dps .

20 man raid only needs 2 tanks at most .
    10 man raid needs 1 tank and 1 offtank
    5 man group needs 1 tank

After 5 man groups the offtank needs dps set
    After 10 man groups 50% of all thanks are out of a job .. in other words you arent needed anymore.

SO why be a tank ?

You can do both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    Your patience is completely unnecessary in this matter. You put a quarter in the machine and you need your gumball. It's cool.
    Your "Likes" fuel me.
    E . ` ' / . F
    Selling 1.4 Crafting Components. X-Shard Delivery Available.

Too bad I actually enjoy tanking when the people I queue with aren't freakin' derps.

You just have to show yourself to be a good tank. Get into a guild that has leftovers raiding. Obviously if a group of people already have their tanks and they know they're good at it, why are they going to take in a new tank that they know very little about?
    Last edited by AsphyxZero; 08-30-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Rift Master

i do agree their should be added reasons to have more tanks in a 20m raid, i do not agree that 67% of tanks fail. I see it as 67% of players are learning to tank. Players gotta learn to DPS right, so why not learn to Tank better? And if Dps can fail at hitting good numbers why dps? And if players suck at dps'ing why play a mmo at all?
    Its all about improving. Getting better. Tanking can be just as fun dps'ing, but the risk of learning to tank is greater than learning to dps. It is we as players that need to help guide and couch new tanks to becoming better tanks so we can build shorter que times for all.

I have just not long roled a warrior type toon to try and tank with, but im more a ranged dps player. But will try my hand at tanking and give it a go as well is nice to try the game from other perspectives.

Sadare of Icewatch - Elementlist
    Guardian alts: Kestra
    Defiant alts: Stone, Lyshia, Velvet, Tears

Telaran

103.8% of all statistics are made up.

Ascendant

Make this game require more tanks. Brilliant Idea

This thread fails to deliver why 67% of tanks "fail"
    Last edited by Swordfishy; 08-30-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Grailer View Post
    Having tanked 100s of T1 and T2 dungeons , and 100s of dungeons before that Ive come to the conclusion im not going to ever tank a raid dungeon because every guild that raids doesnt need a tank because they already have 2 tanks .

So my advice would be to fellow pre raid tanks is to get dps gear not tank gear , don't waste your time with tanking , the future is dps .

5 man group needs 1 tank

After 10 man groups 50% of all thanks are out of a job .. in other words you arent needed anymore.
    Hi, I'd like to introduce you to Hylas (3-4 tanks) Herald (3 tanks), Duke (3 tanks), Alsbeth (3 tanks) in 20 mans. Or to Anrak (2 tanks), Jobral (2 tanks), or Hydriss (2 tanks) in 10 mans. Not to mention specialty tanks.

You need at least 1 in 5 members to be able to tank when needed in raids too.

Lic
    Rift Disciple

I would not give up your quest trying to tank raids. Reason being, in my guild, we have at least 6 t3 geared tanks ready to go. BUT me and another person is always main tank until we declare something on "farm status". Expierence conquers gear in the long run. I've waited awhile to take the main role spot.
    Only advice I give you is to be in a guild that raids frequently. Observe and learn the encounters from the tanks point of view. Ask your leader if you can tank one boss you think ur ready for. If you wipe once or twice, go back to dps.
    There are plenty of guild looking for a good tank. Do not give up on your focus of being a main tank.

-Lic

Level up a level 50 Rogue, Mage, Cleric AND Warrior.

That way, you will have what every your Raid/Dungeon needs.

That's what I'm doing. I already T2/Raid ready Mage, Cleric, and Rogue. Couple more levels and my Warrior should be T2 ready.

/story
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Theres a reason why you have options outside of tanking. Every class/role has its limits and those limits change depending on the raid and fight. Very rarely do raids need more then 1 bard or 1 archon. Often there are fights that only require 2 healers total (1 usually being a mage), meaning other clerics must be able to dps or provide support well or be replaced. So its not like this type of thing is limited to "tanking" oriented roles. A great example is the difference in GSB between Infiltrator and Prince in terms of the healing required.

My guild has only 1 "perma" tank player in guild. In other words, only 1 player who tanks basically 24/7 and who devotes all his role slots to tanking. We have multiple other people who "can tank", but all of them have other options both in terms of roles and the gear to compliment those other roles.

There is a reason why each class has several roles it can play.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 08-30-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Grailer View Post

5 man group needs 1 tank

SO why be a tank ?
    I could have sworn my guild used 3 tanks on Matron last night. I must have been seeing things.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    Hi, I'd like to introduce you to Hylas (3-4 tanks) Herald (3 tanks), Duke (3 tanks), Alsbeth (3 tanks) in 20 mans. Or to Anrak (2 tanks), Jobral (2 tanks), or Hydriss (2 tanks) in 10 mans. Not to mention specialty tanks.

You need at least 1 in 5 members to be able to tank when needed in raids too.
    3 tanks on duke? Huh? Hydriss can also be done easily with 1 tank.

The OP has a point... guilds generally have 2 steady tanks and those are the ones who almost always tank. Tank gear usually goes directly to them which then solidifies their roles even more.

Of the 9 bosses pre-HK:

3 use 3 tanks (Hylas, Herald, Alsbeth)
    4 use 2 tank (Duke, Oracle, Greenscale, Warmaster)
    2 use 1 tank (Johlen, Plutonus)

That's hardly never using more than 2.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

Rift Chaser

As the "Main Tank" for all progression content from Duke Letareus to Soulrender Zilas of my guild, I'd like to point out to you, OP, that the purpose of rolling tank is so you can carry other players to victory.

Tanking is the most crucial role in the group; it is the foundation upon which group success is built. If your tank has superb awareness, good reactions, and does their job correctly, you're halfway to an easy win already; this goes for everything from 5 man content to raid bosses.

You should not be trying to look at it as you are a member of the school of fish. That's for dps, tunnel-visioners, etc. You, as a tank, especially if looking to participate in Raid content, need to be on the next step of understanding encounters and mechanics; regardless of your peers. That is the fun of tanking. You have a smaller margin of error, and much more is demanded of you; giving you more influence over the outcome of the encounter/s.

Get away from thinking "I need to gear up as a tank and apply somewhere and be accepted as a member"; run groups regularly with people you find competent, and start your own content. Every guild only really has room for 3 to 5 tanks (At most), and replacing a OT or MT (especially) can be very painful for a guild; you aren't likely to step into an established raiding environment as the new MT. This does happen, but it's not frequent.

*Shrug*
    Just some thoughts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast