+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tobiasfrost

Thread: 10 man Raid Composition Help

Default 10 man Raid Composition Help

Hi guys, im new to rift, and the guild myself and a few mates started has all new to rift members in it also.

Where currently on T2 dungeons and have almost all the gear we can get from them and we would like to progress into the 10 man content soon.

We are more a casual guild and i just wanted to ask in here for some general tips and advice on what is normally required for this kind of content. Ive looked up all the boss strats and thats not a problem but i cant seem to find any good info on what the team composition should be as a general rule i know some fights are different and require say more healers for example.

So if anyone could provide me some info on what 10mans are usually made up of and if we need to bring other things like pots and what not.. that would be greatly appreciated

Plane Touched

As you are first learning and progressing through the 10 man content I suggest you use all the consumables available to you. When you are confident you have learned a boss well enough and can down him repeatedly you can chose to save the more expensive consumables for fights you are still struggling with or have not attempted yet.

Armor plating made by armorsmiths. This is used on your chest piece and lasts 4 hours through deaths. I am unsure of how this works exactly as the tooltip says it increases your "physical resistance" but there is not a physical resistance stat in your stats screen. It also did not seem to be a direct boost to your armor stat. This is for tanks of course.

Razor thorns or something named like that for shields. It deals damage back when you block and I believe has the same duration as plating.

Whetstones and now oilstones for melee dps, for 1 hand and 2 hand weapons respectively. I do not know if these can be applied on ranged weapons or if there is something similar. There is a consumable for ranged weapons "noise canceling coating" that has a chance to silence a target.

Mages can get an item to use on a staff that gives a damage boost, I believe it is called a witchstone and is made by artificers.

Apothecaries can make potions that will buff either strength and dexterity, intelligence and wisdom, or endurance. The top ones last through death but they do not stack with each other. The recipes are from the vendors in sanctum purchased with artisan marks from crafting dailies.

You can purchase consumables that last 30 minutes, do not last through death, from the faction vendors in Iron Pine Peaks and Stillmoor, and I believe Shimmersand as well. They require some reputation but not the maximum. The Stillmoor one buffs endurance and Iron Pine is attack power, so I'd wager Shimmersand has a spell power one but I am not positive.

Apothecaries can make philters of power that provide a short duration but large buff to the entire raids attack power and spell power. The epic version can be costly to make but they are a great dps boost and the cooldown debuff when one is used is reasonable so you can use them multiple times.

Don't forget scrolls that are dropped by mobs.

As far as raid composition goes, try something like 2 cleric healers, a chloro raid healing, one tank, bard, archon, and 4 dps. This is of course a very general suggestion and you should work with what you have available in your guild. Some fights will require two tanks, either for picking up adds or due to a boss mechanic that requires tank swaps. Also do research online and look for strats and videos of the bosses before making attempts. There are a lot of good ones for Gilded Prophecy and ones for the new 10 man, Drowned Halls are starting to show up already.

On that note, from what I have heard, Drowned Halls is reportedly easier than Gilded Prophecy and would probably be a good start.

Sorry for the length but the servers are down and I'm bored.

Good luck with your progression.
    Last edited by tobiasfrost; 08-03-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RowShamBo View Post
    Hi guys, im new to rift, and the guild myself and a few mates started has all new to rift members in it also.

Where currently on T2 dungeons and have almost all the gear we can get from them and we would like to progress into the 10 man content soon.

We are more a casual guild and i just wanted to ask in here for some general tips and advice on what is normally required for this kind of content. Ive looked up all the boss strats and thats not a problem but i cant seem to find any good info on what the team composition should be as a general rule i know some fights are different and require say more healers for example.

So if anyone could provide me some info on what 10mans are usually made up of and if we need to bring other things like pots and what not.. that would be greatly appreciated
    I didn't actually run the new one today, but I was told the difficulty level was the same as 5 mans, with 10 people. As far as GP, there are some minor mechanics which are easily dealt with, with the extensive strategy postings. Uruluuk can pose a challenge for some guilds, shrug.
    Serashen - Warrior - Dayblind
    |GP - 4/4| |DH - 4/4| |GSB - 5/5| |RoS - 4/4| |HK - 10/11| |PvP - P8|
    Rift Junkies Moderator - Top Secret Warriors - Intelligent Warrior Discussion

Prophet of Telara

The new 10 man (Drowned Halls) is FAR easier than Gilded Prophecy. I highly recommend going there first now, GP isn't hard but takes significant coordination and has some decent gear checks.

As for raid comp, both GP and DH are gonna take 2 tanks, 2 tank healers, 1 raid healer, and 1 support at some point in 'em. Some fights are only gonna need 1 tank, and some will only need 1 tank healer, and support is sometimes not essential, but you want to make sure you have at least those roles in your bag.

Thanks heaps for that info it was exactly the info i was after

I think we will try to do the Drowned Halls first ive seen the vids on it and seems like a good place for new players to learn to get the hang of being in a larger group, working together and getting the basic raid awareness up a bit before tackling the harder bosses that seem like there alot of fun

As a general rule of thumb, bring:

3 tanks (two of which should have DPS specs and gear)
    3 healers (1-2 main healer specs, 1 raid healer)
    2 support (1 archon, 1 bard. The bard is optional, but why not get used to having one around?)
    2 dps of any sort

While learning fights, if the fight only requires 1 tank go with 2 (the latter being one of those half-tanky types who can still dish out dps) so that if the main tank goes splat for whatever reason you can have the second pick it up while rezzes go on and you can continue to practice. As time goes on, you will know when to use just one, just two, three, etc tanks.

As mentioned, Drowned Halls is a very easy starter raid (Judging from vids and strats I`ve seen) and should be a decent enough challenge for your team to learn the ropes.

Also remember that it is not always about gear (though that helps tons ofc) but about how raid aware your raid is. If your main tank healer is the kind who tunnel visions and will happily stand in the fire, you will need to have him fix this by either swapping him to raid heals or even having to remove (Although since you run with friends that is of course an impossibility.) Failing to be raid aware causes more wipes in the game than anything else and is an essential skill for your raiders to acquire, and fast.

Good luck!
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Prophet of Telara

What fight in GP or DH are you using 3 tanks on? First GP fight is 2 tanks, last 3 are 1 tank fights. First DH fight is 1 tank, 2nd is 2, 3rd is 1, and 4th is 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    What fight in GP or DH are you using 3 tanks on? First GP fight is 2 tanks, last 3 are 1 tank fights. First DH fight is 1 tank, 2nd is 2, 3rd is 1, and 4th is 2.
    I meant it more as a precautionary safety check since he states he is new. If he wishes to go with the min needed number of tanks, that`s fine too. But just in case someone goes kablammo~~
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

+ Reply to Thread