+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toughness and Lower Instances

Default Toughness and Lower Instances

Does toughness matter when in low level instances? Trying to determine why I get hit so hard in places like Darkening Depths when running people through. It's easy enough with a healer class, but rather not have to drink as often.

Maybe I just don't understand how elites deal their damage, because they seem to hit me a lot harder than I'd expect.

I am not an overly geared 50, but thought while wearing tank gear that I'd be getting slapped for little to nothing by low-mid 20 elites.
    Titanic- Level 50 Warrior - Gnarlwood

Guild Leader of <Element>

<Element> Casual/Friendly Guild is Looking for More. Apply here!

Telaran

as far as i remember for low levels everything above 25 tougth is overkill.

but if ur trying to run ppl through in your dps gear then it could also have something to do with reduced armor

Champion

if you mean normal dungeons, then you do not get crit in normal dungeons. toughness mitigates crits, you dont get crit.
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

Champion

Pretty sure most normal mobs can crit. A crit does 50% bonus damage from players and regular monsters, so 50 toughness would be of some benefit in normal dungeons and out in the world. The damage bonus they gain from crits isn't really serious (like ~5% chance for 50% bonus damage isn't a big gain in average damage), and you could probably get away with doing T1s without any toughness at all, much less normals. I'm actually curious if toughness reduces player crit though, would be interesting to see.
    Last edited by Doddler; 06-02-2011 at 06:53 AM.

If I remember right, Elite mobs of all levels do scaling damage based on level. Even as a 50 tank you will take a decent amount of damage from any elite hit.

until AP/CC i don't believe there is any toughness on gear. so it really is a non issue until 50.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondRhino View Post
    Does toughness matter when in low level instances? Trying to determine why I get hit so hard in places like Darkening Depths when running people through. It's easy enough with a healer class, but rather not have to drink as often.

Maybe I just don't understand how elites deal their damage, because they seem to hit me a lot harder than I'd expect.

I am not an overly geared 50, but thought while wearing tank gear that I'd be getting slapped for little to nothing by low-mid 20 elites.
    Look at their damage type. Not familiar with DD as I levelled up Defiant side, but for example in IT - there are several types of mobs which only deal death damage as opposed to physical, so you're essentially naked against them without any resist.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Rift Disciple

I know in CC there are mobs that do Fire and Air damage, which armor does nothing to mitigate. That's probably why you're getting hit so hard.

+ Reply to Thread