+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty of Endgame Content, ie raids

Default Difficulty of Endgame Content, ie raids

Just a question I would like to pose to the playerbase to see if it's actually worth levelling to 50...
    Does this game actually provide a good endgame challenge?

The reason I left the MMO that shall not be named is due to the constant nerfing of content to appease the entitled casuals. Just wanted to know, is Trion a company with the spine and backbone that I desire, a company that will actually keep the content challenging and not serve the best loot and epic moments to the crying casuals on a silver platter? I would very much appreciate some players telling me about this. Here's hoping Rift is free of content becoming obsolete, free of content being nerfed into the floor, and is not devoid of challenge.

Thanks a lot,

~Lasur Arkinshade

PS: I am not an elitist. It's great that casuals can play these games and have fun. But no, your subscription fee does not entitle you to beat every boss, have every bit of loot. And no, your lack of time does NOT disadvantage you. Lack of skill or lack of interest is the only thing that could prevent you from doing harder content.

Ascendant

They were before 1.2 dungeons are incredibly boring now. Raids are still fun at least for the time being.

General of Telara

Dungeons are a lot easier now, but I still find them fun. There are still boss mechanics that you need to follow which can determine whether you win or wipe. Raids offer a lot more challenge, especially for the first few runs. I think people are finding the 10 man to be a good challenge based on a lot of Q _ Q but it's a well setup instance imo.

Ascendant

Hardmode WoW encounters are still significantly more difficult than Rift.

Something tells me you weren't doing those to begin with though.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

All the above. Raids atm are easy (IMO, but they do have derp mechanics when some1 isn't paying attention it will wipe you).

Supposedly Hammerknell Fortress is going to be the "hard" raid, requiring a good chunk of t1 raid gear and (I can only hope) some form of challenge past "hit boss before boss get mad after 5m and hit you".

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Lasur Arkinshade View Post
    Just a question I would like to pose to the playerbase to see if it's actually worth levelling to 50...
    Does this game actually provide a good endgame challenge?

The reason I left the MMO that shall not be named is due to the constant nerfing of content to appease the entitled casuals. Just wanted to know, is Trion a company with the spine and backbone that I desire, a company that will actually keep the content challenging and not serve the best loot and epic moments to the crying casuals on a silver platter? I would very much appreciate some players telling me about this. Here's hoping Rift is free of content becoming obsolete, free of content being nerfed into the floor, and is not devoid of challenge.

Thanks a lot,

~Lasur Arkinshade

PS: I am not an elitist. It's great that casuals can play these games and have fun. But no, your subscription fee does not entitle you to beat every boss, have every bit of loot. And no, your lack of time does NOT disadvantage you. Lack of skill or lack of interest is the only thing that could prevent you from doing harder content.

I'm guessing you are talking about WoW. If you are then this will make sense to you. The top 20 guilds in Rift wouldn't even break top 200 in WoW progression wise. I'd even say they'd have trouble breaking top 500. If you weren't talking about WoW...

Current content is easy and many top raiders are most likely waiting to see how difficult Hammerknell is to see if they quit or not. Tier 2 dungeons were difficult when they were first released and in patch 1.2 they nerfed them so all the casuals could clear them with ease (and also reduced drop rates and amount of tokens you get making it a mindless grind). The 10 man that was released was cleared in 1-2 nights (4-8 hours) by the top guilds (top 20 or so). So no, the game does not provide a good end game challenge or competition atm. Will probably find out if it will get better or not in the next 1-2 major patches (probably about 1-2 months off).
    Last edited by Value; 06-01-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Hardmode WoW encounters are still significantly more difficult than Rift.

Something tells me you weren't doing those to begin with though.
    Hardmode Ulduar (When it was top content out) was more difficult then rift

Hardmodes in ICC / Cata are a joke compared to that on every level.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Exphryl View Post
    Hardmode Ulduar (When it was top content out) was more difficult then rift

Hardmodes in ICC / Cata are a joke compared to that on every level.
    Some fights were, some weren't.

Mimiron and 0-light were definitely at the top of the heap (for Wrath), but without looking it up I'm not comfortable commenting on the overall difficulty of Ulduar vs. ICC/Cata.

I liked Ulduar more, but that doesn't actually mean it was more challenging.

Regardless, ICC and Cata were/are still more difficult than Rift.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 06-01-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Rift is doing the same thing wow did, nerf the entry-level dungeons and leave the raids alone, there for there's a much larger gap in difficulty between t2's and raids atm. Needless to say, GSB is easy unless you screw up, boss mechanics are nothing special just the usual "**** of the room when your name is lit up on everyone's screen or were dead" I have only killed 3Rd boss in GSB and 1St boss in ROS due to guild fall outs and re rolling elsewhere to avoid the bs that is faemist guilds but that's another story.

Main point is. if your group doesn't have a mindless idiot/drunk/druggy you can clear it. Gear is pretty much a non issue because you clear t1's and t2's so fast now you can be raiding within a week of hitting 50.
    Last edited by Vandrin; 06-01-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Some fights were, some weren't.

Mimiron and 0-light were definitely at the top of the heap (for Wrath), but without looking it up I'm not comfortable commenting on the overall difficulty of Ulduar vs. ICC/Cata.

I liked Ulduar more, but that doesn't actually mean it was more challenging.

Regardless, ICC and Cata were/are still more difficult than Rift.
    ICC10 normal was actually a lot easier than Rift GP.
    Probably because of the addons :>

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Value View Post
    The 10 man that was released was cleared in 1-2 nights (4-8 hours) by the top guilds (top 20 or so). So no, the game does not provide a good end game challenge or competition atm. Will probably find out if it will get better or not in the next 1-2 major patches (probably about 1-2 months off).
    Keep in mind that the 10 man raid was designed on its own progression. It is designed for T2 gear. The top 20 guilds are already Raid geared out and some of them beta tested the raid.... giving them knowledge of the fights before hand.

This is not to say that the raid is challenging or not but it is to say that it would obviously not be challenging to players that are already raid geared. It would also be obviously easy for someone that already knew the strats. For guilds that dont have 20 people and have never step foot in a raid zone this would be and is a challenging raid to them. Just like anything though... once you learn the dance it becomes easy.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenArrow View Post
    ICC10 normal was actually a lot easier than Rift GP.
    Probably because of the addons :>
    I'm not talking about normal modes. Especially in ICC, normal modes were a complete joke.
    Cata Normal modes are probably close to Rift's difficulty honestly, with hardmodes being above that, obviously.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Value View Post
    The 10 man that was released was cleared in 1-2 nights (4-8 hours) by the top guilds (top 20 or so). So no, the game does not provide a good end game challenge or competition atm. Will probably find out if it will get better or not in the next 1-2 major patches (probably about 1-2 months off).
    That happens with any MMO anymore =/ Top guilds will clear the content in mere days once it's released. It's what they do.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by soluss View Post
    Keep in mind that the 10 man raid was designed on its own progression. It is designed for T2 gear. The top 20 guilds are already Raid geared out and some of them beta tested the raid.... giving them knowledge of the fights before hand.

This is not to say that the raid is challenging or not but it is to say that it would obviously not be challenging to players that are already raid geared. It would also be obviously easy for someone that already knew the strats. For guilds that dont have 20 people and have never step foot in a raid zone this would be and is a challenging raid to them. Just like anything though... once you learn the dance it becomes easy.
    Took our guild ~6 hours to clear it all walking in completely blind. A lot of players in the guild were running near full T2 gear because T2 gear was BiS for many pieces before that patch. I doubt the top 10-20 guilds who cleared GP first had a majority of raid gear on. They most likely had a majority of T2 drops which weren't anywhere near BiS after the patch hit because they were not buffed as much lol.
    Last edited by Value; 06-01-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Exphryl View Post
    That happens with any MMO anymore =/ Top guilds will clear the content in mere days once it's released. It's what they do.
    If you want to compare it to WoW, content is not cleared in <1 raid week lol. Other MMO's sure but thats not what the OP is asking. He is asking if the content is challenging and rewards those who try to defeat difficult content which will not be nerfed later on for less skilled players. Which currently is not the case in Rift so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast