+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Uruluuk -- purgable buffs is the new boss mechanic norm?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,062

    Default Uruluuk -- purgable buffs is the new boss mechanic norm?

    Can we get a dev. response to clarify whether or not these buffs being purgable was intended?

    I don't know of any other bosses where major abilities being purgable was intended (save things like reflect shields and HoTs that are re-applied quickly). Especially not when that purging makes the fight nigh trivial.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched chris051599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    265

    Default

    His buffs are clearly meant to be purged. If they were not meant to be purged than you would be able to strip the gold buff as well. Trion meant for you to purge the other 2.

    Removing buffs does nothing to make <30% easier.
    9/9

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    145

    Default

    why would trion design a boss that has so many different mechanics to have a buff that stacks 6%(1 from gold and 5 from the other) every 5s that wouldnt be purgable. In a matter of 30s of the shrine phase, you're already sitting on 36% more damage. If you can even manage to make it to the last 30% of the fight, having 36% - 72% increased damage will 1shot your raid. If the buffs were not purgable, they'd have to nerf the actual AoE raid damage.

    And why would you ask this saying that its trivial if your sig states you havent killed him? unless you havent updated your sig, the post is contradicting your progression.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris051599 View Post
    His buffs are clearly meant to be purged. If they were not meant to be purged than you would be able to strip the gold buff as well. Trion meant for you to purge the other 2.

    Removing buffs does nothing to make <30% easier.
    The issue here is that the others are timed and will eventually fall off. It may be because the gold one is a permanent buff that it is unpurgable, not necessarily because they intended you to be able to purge the other 2.

    And from what I've seen, <30% is pretty much a joke. Healing a tank through stacks of the other buff as well as keeping people alive during avalanches with +XX% damage up is actually challenging but not impossible. The videos I've seen with terribly poor execution, bad heals, and slow DPS have downed him INCREDIBLY EASILY because they purge his buffs. Further, if you don't time your DPS correctly to hit 30% just as the +% damage buffs fall off, you'll get people 1-shot in the last phase. So purging does actually influence that part of the fight. Doing it lets you just blindly dps him to 30% and then just go kill him.

    This honestly makes me think it wasn't intended.

    Quote Originally Posted by TenkenFlux View Post
    why would trion design a boss that has so many different mechanics to have a buff that stacks 6%(1 from gold and 5 from the other) every 5s that wouldnt be purgable. In a matter of 30s of the shrine phase, you're already sitting on 36% more damage. If you can even manage to make it to the last 30% of the fight, having 36% - 72% increased damage will 1shot your raid. If the buffs were not purgable, they'd have to nerf the actual AoE raid damage.

    And why would you ask this saying that its trivial if your sig states you havent killed him? unless you havent updated your sig, the post is contradicting your progression.
    The buffs fall off if you kill the shrine quickly enough after he drops them (before the next shrines spawn). This means you'd have to juggle which to kill first, second, and third based on what buffs are up and based on your speed. It's absolutely doable, and yes, the avalanche nearly 1-shots people at 6 stacks of +% damage buff, but it doesn't 1-shot them, and it can be quite easily healed through with competent healers and positional coordination. I see people throwing around this "must have 4 stacks or less gold on < 30%" but I see videos of people at 5-6 stacks taking what I'd call absolutely nothing for damage during that phase, you could easily do it at 15-20. Very easily.

    This post also has nothing to do with my progression. Had we purged his buffs, he would've gone down on the second pull. As it was, we were getting him to 35% after a few pulls while killing shrines in the wrong order (NOT PURGING) but people had other obligations and couldn't stay around to finish it up.
    Last edited by jMerliN; 05-31-2011 at 09:17 AM.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    145

    Default

    the reason i ask you about progression is because you claim its "trivial" but havent nailed the kill. And to your above statement, this dungeon is on the same level as GSB and RoS. People with full clear on GSB and RoS are definitely going to have it easier than people that havent. It was intended to go side by side judging from the gear equivalence. People that come in here T2 geared can definitely do this dungeon, but will not survive too many stacks of buffs hitting them with aoe damage.

    I would refrain saying things such as "easy" and "trivial" when you have yet to kill the boss.

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    I honestly don't see how it is not an intended aspect to the fight, using specs with certain tools available to them to assist in clearing it (Through the use of multiple souls having a purge shouldn't be an issue).

    It adds another aspect to the fight.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TenkenFlux View Post
    the reason i ask you about progression is because you claim its "trivial" but havent nailed the kill. And to your above statement, this dungeon is on the same level as GSB and RoS. People with full clear on GSB and RoS are definitely going to have it easier than people that havent. It was intended to go side by side judging from the gear equivalence. People that come in here T2 geared can definitely do this dungeon, but will not survive too many stacks of buffs hitting them with aoe damage.

    I would refrain saying things such as "easy" and "trivial" when you have yet to kill the boss.
    Because we nearly got the kill without purges in just a few attempts. That's +15-30% damage done to the raid for a large portion of the fight and -15-45% damage done to the boss for a large portion of the fight. Do you think those two facts suddenly being amiss from the equation that it wouldn't have been a trivial fight?

    Take the hardest encounter you've just barely been able to complete consistently, now cut the boss's damage by 30% and make your raid do 30% more damage. Is that encounter now trivial?

    And this place is much easier than GSB/RoS.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    Because we nearly got the kill without purges in just a few attempts. That's +15-30% damage done to the raid for a large portion of the fight and -15-45% damage done to the boss for a large portion of the fight. Do you think those two facts suddenly being amiss from the equation that it wouldn't have been a trivial fight?

    Take the hardest encounter you've just barely been able to complete consistently, now cut the boss's damage by 30% and make your raid do 30% more damage. Is that encounter now trivial?

    And this place is much easier than GSB/RoS.

    Get the kill, come back and say its trivial. I can say running a mile in 2min is easy, but until i do it, its just me boasting/rambling.

    And i do not think GP is easier than GSB / RoS.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Looks like another troll has been spotted. If anything is trivial its GSB/ROS, gilded prophecy is harder than both, down the boss before you talk about it being trivial.

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara Fiasco3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    It is intended. Your question has been answered.

  11. #11
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    604

    Default

    If the usage of purge and reflect were not intentional in that fight, they would have hotfixed it within the first dew days.

    Killing him without reflect is possible (we did it on our first kill) but I wouldn't try it without purge.
    If you don't feel like using purge because you just don't want to respecc or adapt to the mechanics of a boss fight (you know, those that vary a bit more or less for every boss fight), then just go on. But the way you are posting is absolutely the wrong way.
    It makes you sound more like you wiped a few nights on him and then realised that you could dispell it and now feel in some way cheated by the game.

  12. #12
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    915

    Default

    So... adding a mechanic other than Tank/Spank/Move out of aoe on the ground is considered to be unintentional? Purging is intentional, and if you think it makes it trivial then go kill it without purging (cause it sure is evident you haven't yet), and when you do please make sure to post a video of it to shut us all up. I don't know what other games you've played, but purging has always been a familiar tactic against high end mobs.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    145

    Default

    This thread is too serio..

    All of a sudden its people posting videos of them killing it are "less competent" than them doing it w/o purging and have yet to kill it.


    Please provide a live feed for this saturday as I would personally like to watch you go in and 1shot him. If you happen to do so, I will commend you. If you fail to 1 shot it, you will have humiliated yourself w/o me needing to say anything. justintv hosts live feed streaming as other websites. If your pc is too crappy to livestream while doing the fight, have someone else in your 10man do it.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vitto View Post
    So... adding a mechanic other than Tank/Spank/Move out of aoe on the ground is considered to be unintentional? Purging is intentional, and if you think it makes it trivial then go kill it without purging (cause it sure is evident you haven't yet), and when you do please make sure to post a video of it to shut us all up. I don't know what other games you've played, but purging has always been a familiar tactic against high end mobs.
    The mechanics of the fight contradict that it is indeed a purge-based mechanic.

    There are tons of cleanse-based mechanics that most of you never see, but those effects tend to be DISASTROUS if not dealt with very quickly and cleanly. These buffs can be influenced by kill order, they can be made to fall off naturally without intensifying the fight further, and they don't sufficiently increase the difficulty of the fight to be "completely unbeatable" if not purged. This is completely inconsistent.

    Even the first dude in ITx originally was guaranteed to kill your tank if you didn't cleanse his bleed. And in an attempt to FORCE you to cleanse it, void was put up that silenced you if you just tried to heal the tank. There are various damage-reflect shield mechanics on bosses that require a fast purge or someone will likely die if they nuke the boss at the right time (coupled with DPS-checks as people were originally under-geared for the content) required a purge or the fight became very difficult if you simply held DPS to wait for them to go away. Things like this are very obviously meant to be cleansed/purged. There is nothing indicating such a situation here, and in fact quite the opposite.

    What's the purpose of the shrines if 2 of them are completely meaningless because 1 person can spam purges?
    Last edited by jMerliN; 05-31-2011 at 11:00 AM.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker Vernal Equinox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I have been disappointed with the difficulty, or relative lack thereof, in most of the content I have done so far as well. I have been hoping as I progress that things would become "harder." It seems you are thinking along the same lines.

    I have been chalking this up to being a product of older or "real risk v. reward" MMORPGs. While Rift progress does seem saccharine at times, I do not have the time to play EQ circa 1999 anymore, so I suck it up and play. =/

    If most of the "boss buff" mechanics I have been purging were to become unpurgable tomorrow, I would be surprised, but probably applaud the change.
    Last edited by Vernal Equinox; 05-31-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    "The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."

    John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts