+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric Tank!

Telaran

Default Cleric Tank!

Good morning Rifters!

Couple of days ago I started playing an healer, but wanted to fill up more roles so I payed that cheap 30g :P gathered all the souls and took a look a what they had to offer. I was surprised to see there is no "Defensive" Soul for clerrics so I asked on chat if Tanking as a Cleric was something possible.
    Some peeps said it was while tons more said they suck!lol

Since im never taking in consideration peeps opinions, I started building my own tank using this set up:

justicar/druid/shammy 21/4/3

Right now im only lv 21. I realize this build gives you a lot of aggro/armor/Dam reduc/healing buffs.

Queue in RoFT to try it and everything went super good. Of course I was super vulnerable to magic but Warriors are too since they all go in Paladin.Asked to my group how was my tanking and everyone agreed it was great!

Not bad for someone who never tanked before. So to all those peeps saying Cleric tanks sucks, plz try it before flamming them!

Just wanted to share that with you guys! Might give some peeps ideas for a new tank XD

Ascendant

Until about lvl 30 clerics are overpowered in tanking, isn't such smooth sailing after that ;)

Telaran

Tanking realm of the fae at 21 isn't an accurate way to judge cleric tanks. Wait until 50.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zeusfist View Post
    Tanking realm of the fae at 21 isn't an accurate way to judge cleric tanks. Wait until 50.
    Would love to take ur opinion in serious, but you lack a bit of arguments...

for what ive done so far it looks good, but yeah maybe at lv 50 it gets different. I guess time is the only way for me to make a good opinion on the subject.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Crazysam87 View Post
    Good morning Rifters!

Couple of days ago I started playing an healer, but wanted to fill up more roles so I payed that cheap 30g :P gathered all the souls and took a look a what they had to offer. I was surprised to see there is no "Defensive" Soul for clerrics so I asked on chat if Tanking as a Cleric was something possible.

Since im never taking in consideration peeps opinions, I started building my own tank using this set up:

Right now im only lv 21. I realize this build gives you a lot of aggro/armor/Dam reduc/healing buffs.

Queue in RoFT to try it and everything went super good. Of course I was super vulnerable to magic but Warriors are too since they all go in Paladin.Asked to my group how was my tanking and everyone agreed it was great!

Not bad for someone who never tanked before. So to all those peeps saying Cleric tanks sucks, plz try it before flamming them!

Just wanted to share that with you guys! Might give some peeps ideas for a new tank XD
    your assessment that clerics tank well and are vulnerable to magic is very accurate. clerics are great tanks. try dropping druid and goin for the cabalist dark harbor buff. it will help mitigate some of the magic dmg.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

Let me just point you towards this guide: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...uide-Version-2 (you can adept most builds to a lower lvl version of it)
    Also this post should have been in the cleric forums to be honest but I don't care to be honest.
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offense, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

Good morning Rifters!

Dont let the naysayer kill your enjoyment. I have also a lowbie cleric tank and im ejoying it a lot. Currently level 22, tanked fae and it at 18/19 with no problem at all

I would recomend spending all your points in Shaman, get the damage reduction, the glacial shield (rocks for aoe aggro), and the extra incoming healing. You still can get a 0-point druid with the faerie to help with the healing

EDIT: I mean, all the extra points, fill up Justicar as much as possible for now
    Last edited by Erhnam; 05-31-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Until about lvl 30 clerics are overpowered in tanking, isn't such smooth sailing after that ;)
    It's still ridiculously easy after that. I only started feeling things slipping in the late 40's.

Good morning Rifters!
    Like someone who can drive an electric 'Bob the Builder' kiddies cart telling a race driver who has just lost their maiden GP race that "you don't need a motor mechanic - just get a bigger battery !".
    Last edited by Knobby; 05-31-2011 at 07:43 AM.

You might really, really like wooden bats. You can hit home runs and drive in runs just fine with them.

Aluminum bats are still better.

Telaran

meh, yes you need to be level 50 and into Raid Content, ie Greenscale, River of Soul and Gilded Sanctum to really have the full picture. I am a full T2 with a few T3 items and can solo tank all T1/T2 with 1 healer fine except for DSM 2nd boss due to its magical auto attack alone, but feel gimped when compared to other tanks with my stuff.

Since your like level 21, I'll enlightening you to what the Current state of Cleric tanking is.

Pros
    -Decent Physical Damage Mitigation
    -Great Utility ( ie Party Heals, Oh crappers CDs, Battle Rez )

Cons
    -Really bad Magic Mitgation! (Dark Harbors 30 resistance really doesnt cut it either) This is very situational as bosses without many Magically attacks will not effect Cleric tanks, but Bosses with magic attacks that can nearly 1-hit tanks, this is a huge problem. So far clerics have mitigated this problem by building a Sourcestone and runes dedicated to the element that the boss has. Such as Earth resist for Gilded Sanctum and Life resist for Greenscale. But this is definitely problematic as there is no way to build your tank to survive certain bosses unless you dedicate a whole gear that isnt easy at all to obtain just so you can tank 50% of the bosses in end game.
    -Sad Aoe pull and threat retention. This can be somewhat mitigated by going into Cab to use Cab pulls in the start, but still good DPS'ers will easily pull aggro off you unless they wait atleast a good 10 seconds, again this is only for END Game when you team with Rogues and Mages who can pull 900+ Single target Dps. This will become very problematic. Now this Cons isnt 100% game breaking. But the problem is that this issue exponentiates as your Guild/ Party progress. The Justicar tank damage or Threat generation does not scale as well as other tanks or other DPSers, so you will start to see that with the same gear progression, you will have more and more trouble holding aggro against your party dps'ers ( not apparent at low level party or non epic geared members). Something is wrong here...

With these issues, Justicar tanking just doesnt feel like justicar tanking. Warriors and Rogues are also better at single target Mitigation as well. So really Justicar tanking feels subpar, and they are more like slapjack tanks that want to tank but cant truly tank (when compared to other tanks), or they want to be a healer with party heals and a battle rez but cant truly heal due to their low Magic Power and healing reduction Miens.

Now for people who want to tank through T2's, Id say sure why not, you can make it through with a decent team. You will also shed more light to Trion since you will start to feel these 2 problems that I listed. I will garantee you to start failing on Initial group pulls having forced to Corner pull everything and making them wait like 5-10 seconds before they can attack which can be problematic in open areas where no corners or objects are there, we need a get over here grabber like Warriors do! Or a good AOE opener like Reavers without having to waste 10 points to Cabalist which has really bad synergy with Justicar. And have fun with heavy magical damage bosses! Luckily everythings been nerfed so in T1/T2 a decent healer with a supporter can make up for the really bad magic mitigation. Just wait till you get to Greenscale / Gilded Sanctum / and River of Souls and see if people still want you to tank those heavy magical damage bosses that can 1 shot low magic mitigation tanks =P.

+ Reply to Thread