+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toughness hard cap?

Default Toughness hard cap?

This may have been answered already, and if it has, I apologize -- I can't find it anywhere.

Is there any benefit to stacking toughness beyond 150? I currently have my breastplate runed with +20 toughness, which I needed before I completed my T2 set, but I am now sitting at 172 total toughness. Should I rune my breastplate with endurance and stay with 152 toughness, or keep my current setup?

Any help would be appreciated, but please be able to cite your sources so I know that it's accurate.

Plane Walker

150 until Hammerknell. 150 reduces Raid1 critical hits to that of a normal hit.

Yes you want to drop your toughness rune off your chestplate if you can get 150 with just armor. As it stands if you are running with 172 toughness then 22 of that toughness is redundant. How it works is the mobs in each tier of content, whether it be experts or raids, has a crit modifier which gets higher with each tier of content. Tanks stack toughness to negate the crit modifier so that when you get crit it removes the extra damage and it hits you for the same as a normal hit. Each tier has their own hard caps(Tier 1 Experts: 50, Tier 2 Experts: 100, Tier 1 Raids: 150) so basically you don't benefit from any extra toughness once you've negated the crit modifier that the mobs have. Like the poster above me said, Hammerknell is going to have a higher cap(probably 200 since that is what a full set of raid tank gear adds up to) so you are eventually going to want to go over 150 but if you are just running GSB, RoS, and GP then it will only count 150 of your toughness.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

When I tank on my rogue (I got 200 toughness), I noticed that magical critical hits are reduced more if you got 150+ toughness. You can notice this in GP last boss (assuming you don't abuse reflect there).

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by mrtakedown View Post
    When I tank on my rogue (I got 200 toughness), I noticed that magical critical hits are reduced more if you got 150+ toughness. You can notice this in GP last boss (assuming you don't abuse reflect there).
    No No No No No

Soulwalker

I'm also curious, my impression is that it was a hard cap but I have heard people say otherwise

The only way I know to accurately test this would be to use a parser that collects your total mitigated damage, but I don't think the the current version of the RJ parser can do that. You'd also need a way to filter out non-critical hits.

An official word from Trion on this topic would be nice. ;)

Sword of Telara

i have done -zero- testing on this, but 150 tough required and 150 tough cap feels kinda wierd.

looking at hit for instance you need 150 to raid, yet untill 200 you will still "miss" and until 220 you will still be dodged. tanks get off easy and 150 is all you need? in T2 (cept 1 piece) i made it to 150 toughness. why is there more toughness on T3 when it has zero increase if youre T2 geared?

General of Telara

T3 tanking gear has more toughness because it is meant to gear you up for the next "level/tier" of raiding.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Seyon View Post
    i have done -zero- testing on this, but 150 tough required and 150 tough cap feels kinda wierd.

looking at hit for instance you need 150 to raid, yet untill 200 you will still "miss" and until 220 you will still be dodged. tanks get off easy and 150 is all you need? in T2 (cept 1 piece) i made it to 150 toughness. why is there more toughness on T3 when it has zero increase if youre T2 geared?
    So that u can eventually become geared well enough to handle the upcoming next tier of combat which will require more toughness.... Thought that was obvious but I guess not

And tanks don't get off easy. Its MUCH easier to get the hit/focus u need then to get the hit/focus AND the toughness as well
    Drakkles - Warrior - Jynxed
    ]

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Seyon View Post

220 hit is needed for a raid now 150. Hit is on all kinds of gear, you get like 80 from weapons. You can easily hit 300 hit in the current gear. It's not that they get off easy, it's actually harder. They have to have raid drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepelia View Post
    The only way I know to accurately test this would be to use a parser that collects your total mitigated damage, but I don't think the the current version of the RJ parser can do that. You'd also need a way to filter out non-critical hits.

An official word from Trion on this topic would be nice. ;)
    There were patch notes a little while ago that stated they fixed the bug where having toughness over the cap was reducing critical hits below normal hits. If they are still reducing critical hits beyond the cap then it is bugged again.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vitto View Post
    T3 tanking gear has more toughness because it is meant to gear you up for the next "level/tier" of raiding.
    i could -see- that, but usually the way games do it (and rift very well may not!) is that you get whats required to enter it, then as you get gear from the first few bosses gives you what you need to cap out for the place, helping for the last few bosses. im up to 197 tough now, i wanna do a few test (requires T3 boss >.<) and might drop the tough rune off my chest

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    220 hit is needed for a raid now 150. Hit is on all kinds of gear, you get like 80 from weapons. You can easily hit 300 hit in the current gear. It's not that they get off easy, it's actually harder. They have to have raid drops.
    was going with the "common" thing, like what rift's charicter sheet says. 150 tough for tank 150 hit for dps. i myself have had no issue getting hit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast