+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From a Mages perspective Itemization for T2's is terrible.

Default From a Mages perspective Itemization for T2's is terrible.

I have had some pretty terrible luck with drops lately I will freely admit. I have gotten exactly 1 upgrade from a tier 2, Icerot stave, and one piece of t2 plaque gear.... And after trying to plan around this I have been looking at the mage gear on the plaque vendor and it boggles my mind how anyone thought this was a progression of gear from one tier to the next.

First problem, Focus suddenly became wierdly scarce.... and this makes no sense. How am I supposed to get the 200 focus for raiding if I have to almost entirely rely on random purple drops to be able to progress. This is really frustrating atm. Getting the gear for t1's was not that bad, and then running t1's for enough gear for t2's was a nice steady pace. But right now it feels like I have hit the brick wall of crappy itemization and range.

I am stuck with mostly crafted gear so I can keep my focus at a decent level but it has actually gone DOWN since I have been doing t2's.

Second problem... some of these plaque pieces are not even upgrades.... At best there side grades. A lot of my gear I would be sacrificing focus for a small int/wis boost with either a spellpower or spell crit replacement. If I have to run anywhere from 20-30 t2's to get one of these pieces I should not be scratching my head wondering if this piece is actually worth getting over a piece of crafted or t1 gear. Who did the itemization? Because from where I am sitting he/she stinks.

Last problem. No real variation. What I mean by this is I am very much limited by the gear I can get my hands on with focus and building a spellpower, mana regen, or spell crit set is a pipe dream atm. Maybe after I start raiding but if the itemization does not get significantly better... well this looks like it will be a real pain. Also I think there should be more variety. Contrary to what I said earlier, side grades are not bad when they give you options, they are however terrible when they are in places where I should be getting clear upgrades. More varied plague gear that give different options may be just what the doctor ordered... after you bump the stats up a fair degree in general between tiers.

T2's may have gotten easier and a little bit shorter but they still take 45 minutes to 2 hours to do per dungeon. And right now I feel held back not by time but by luck. Right now I need to get lucky enough to get 30-50 more focus from DROPPED gear before I will be tier 3 ready... and that's a very frustrating position. I would probably not be so frustrated if with time I could purchase this gear with plaque's. But my hands are tied atm.

Please, some developer who knows what they are doing please look at this and fix this. People like to get upgrades when they work towards something... this does not feel like that at all.

P.s. typed this out on my phone, excuse the mistakes please.

Most my gear is T2 Plaques and I got the focus capped fine.

There are 5 runes you can get that will increase your focus by about 80 (I think)

the rest should easily be manageable, CC drops a staff with 60 or 70 focus also.
    DSM trash drops a wand with 37focus
    CC Caelia drops a wand with focus also.
    You can also get a planar lens with 20 focus.
    GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/10

Chloromacers who macro their spells suck

I do appreciate the reply, but that still proves my point. I/we are dependant on the range or luck in order to reach the T3 focus requirement due to bad itemization. You got decent range it seems however while I am stuck waiting on getting both lucky enough to see it drop and win the roll. I don't like being this dependant on it. Even with checking the AH daily for upgrades I am being held back by a poorly designed system. I have been playing MMO's a long time and am used to long grinds in order to get gear ( memory off Cursed cycle, EQ. Snake stick in Time EQ, even getting keys to raid zones. ) but this just feels like poor design. I do not feel like I am making any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa View Post
    I do appreciate the reply, but that still proves my point. I/we are dependant on the range or luck in order to reach the T3 focus requirement due to bad itemization. You got decent range it seems however while I am stuck waiting on getting both lucky enough to see it drop and win the roll. I don't like being this dependant on it. Even with checking the AH daily for upgrades I am being held back by a poorly designed system. I have been playing MMO's a long time and am used to long grinds in order to get gear ( memory off Cursed cycle, EQ. Snake stick in Time EQ, even getting keys to raid zones. ) but this just feels like poor design. I do not feel like I am making any progress.
    Yeah I agree in some ways, I haven't experienced grinding for gear after 1.2 as I only need a few bits by the time it came out for my mage, but i hardly see any mage drops nowadays.
    GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/10

Chloromacers who macro their spells suck

You have an Icerot Stave. You can't complain I have been trying to get that thing for weeks and weeks. Multiple attempts a day! hehe

You should be able to get up to 200+ focus without the use of savvy runes (which aren't needed and take the place of other more useful runes) by filling the correct slots with items that have focus.

I recommend an Abyssal Pendant (trash drop in eAP) for neck, Ancient Earthbound Rod (trash drop in eDSM) for wand and Band of Spells (crafted, and augmented of course) for rings.

I know the tier 2 plaque gloves have focus, can't remember if the t1's do. I also recommend using Dominating Runes as they add to spell power and focus.
    Last edited by Capri Moon; 05-28-2011 at 05:10 AM.

And I completely agree that the current loot system is ridiculous. I'm sure they won't ignore the problem forever. I hope....

+ Reply to Thread