+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I could use some tank advice

Soulwalker

Default I could use some tank advice

Hey guys. i've got a pure (warrior) tank with points loaded into pally and some in reaver as well. I have loaded up on gear boosting block, endurance, health, and the like. I've got aggros, pulls, AoE's, and breaks as well. I have no problem with questing and taking on tough foes.

But dungeons are another matter.

My moves pull foes, but I just can't keep up the aggro. I find my teammates getting annihalated constantly. And I'm still doing normal mode dungeons! How am I supposed to handle the Tiered dungeons and Raids?

I can't just switch to a dps. I hav gotten way to used to my setup and I'm geared all wrong, with little other money to spare.

Does anyone have any advice for tanking, especially in the dungeon systems?

Sword of Telara

Threat generation is the issue here. I found that Reaver DoTs are not as good at holding threat in 1.2 compared to 1.1. I lose hate primarily to good DPS Rogues.

If this is the issue (and not survivability), I suggest you spec a minimum of 6 points in Warlord for Battlefield Awareness + Spotter's Orders (refresh every 6 secs). This creates tremendous threat and it is difficult for any class to tear mobs away from me when this is active.

Warlord is the new king of threat generation.
    Last edited by Blackblade; 05-24-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Plane Touched

I have a warlord build but I rarely use it, mainly for encounters with DPS checks where the team is struggling.

I use a paladin, reaver, void knight mix. Pull from range with Plague Bringer, Soul Sickness, Necrotic Wounds as you close to the mobs. Let the melee mobs follow you and move to any caster / ranged mobs if possible. If you do use Warlord Sergeant's Order is great for positioning mobs and has a short cooldown. I use Rift Summon from void knight, but it has a 45 second cooldown (without points to reduce it) and can be buggy. You have to get used to what terrain features will bug it out. Also, it doesn't work on some mobs period, like the water elemental mobs in Abyssal Precipice.

Once I get positioned and am In melee range of the mobs I hit my macro which does Aggressive Block first, but will hit Blood Fever quickly. That way you have a lot of dots running on the mobs already. From VK, I then follow with Tempest, hit pact conversion to get ravenous strength and defense back up (Tempest lowers the stacks of them by consuming pacts) followed by Ragestorm. Then I continue using Plague Bringer and dots and Ragestorm when it comes off cooldown again. This works well for me, and is only tricky on pulls with 6+ mobs. Then I will tab target a lot as I spam my dots.

As stated above, Warlord is great because (I think this is how it works) all the added damage from putting Spotter's Orders on a mob creates threat for you, the tank. You can also pick up the Intercept skill and use it on a high dps or your healer if he uses Warden and likes to have heal over time spells up before pulls.

Prophet of Telara

Yeah use warlord. Spotters orders to help with dps on that target but moreso to activate the (changed in 1.2) Battlefield awareness buff, this has a 10metre increased threat and usually makes the difference from a rogue (yes I too in T2's have trouble with rogues) pulling a mob to them.
    Intercept on a party member pre-pull does wonders for stopping potential aggro loss.

I use a VK/pally/reaver spec for most bosses where there is even a small chance at spell damage or the phys damage is really high. You can find this build somewhere's on the warrior forums (Kruunch's mitigation 3.0)
    For bosses with adds and for almost all non high spell damage trash I use a warlord/pally/reaver build. Find this on the warrior forums as well. (Sodahelm's expert/raid build)

You should start gearing a dps set and using a dps role in addition to your tanking role(s). Normal dungeons isn't that far advanced and sometime down the road to raiding you'll be glad you did.

Prophet of Telara

Lights Decree 1 mob, keep poking, profit?

I dunno, I never lose aggro on... well... anything, and I just spam my LD, then basic single target macro. Usually pull with the spreading Reaver dots.

RIFT Guide Writer Kutsuu Isback's Avatar

Very simple solution. 6 points in warlord. Put up your call buff and use spotter's order. It gives just as much agro at 3 APs as at a 1 AP, so you can spam it with 1 AP each if you need to solidify agro early.

16 warlord just makes it even easier with intercept.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/kutsmuffinsig.png

Battlefield Awareness + Spotter's Order. Amazing.
    Hopeless Cleric - Whitefall >_>
    Fateless Warrior - Whitefall <_<

Inglorious Basterd

+ Reply to Thread