+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Held Hostage Using The LFG System

Default Held Hostage Using The LFG System

There seems to be a problem when using the LFG tool for a specific dungeon. When queue'd for a specific dungeon, it's not uncommon to be matched to a group looking to random under they get their desired dungeon. Such groups will requeue endlessly to get their desired dungeon for a chance at loot they want. Who can blame them? I loathe doing random dungeons that do not benefit me. I really have no problem with this practice, except that if you're not of a similar mind as the randoming group you're royally screwed.

Example: Let's say I queue specifically for RD. I have no desire to do any other instances as I'm only farming RD for one specific drop that has eluded since the beginning of time. The queue takes 45 minutes, but I'm finally matched to a group and port in. Upon loading I'm greeted with, "herp derp, let's do DSM or DD." I have no interest in DSM or DD. I queue'd for RD. Before I can object the queue window pops asking for my role verification. At this point I can either go with the flow or bail, either of which will result in wasting another 45 minutes for the opportunity (not guarantee) of doing the dungeon I want. I can't blame the group for requeueing; it's the most efficient use of their time. But, at the same time, it hoses me over.

There are numerous possible solutions to this problem, but the simplest would be to abandon the random concept in the LFG system. Let people queue for the dungeons they want while still obtaining the bonus.

Prophet of Telara

Not to be rude, but couldn't you just say

DPS (or whatever) LFG Expert DSM or whatever you want to do?

I mean, you have a bit of luxury with it being same shard to do those types of things and not entirely rely on the LFG Tool
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Quote Originally Posted by Exphryl View Post
    Not to be rude, but couldn't you just say

DPS (or whatever) LFG Expert DSM or whatever you want to do?

I mean, you have a bit of luxury with it being same shard to do those types of things and not entirely rely on the LFG Tool
    The point isn't that there's other options for obtaining the same result. That's fairly obvious and I'm not sure how your post contributes meaningfully. I could easily form a group with the express purpose of farming RD endlessly--abusing the random nature of the LFG system to get a drop I want. Instead, I opted to queue for a specific dungeon using a feature the game provides and the tool did not work as one would anticipate due to either an oversight or limitation of the system.
    Last edited by Binks; 05-23-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Plane Walker

Well imo the essence of random should be a fixed state.

In other words if you get transported into DSM you have to do it, if you requeue the group should be disbanded and you go back to the end of the queue.

Which ofc would fix your situation as well.

Soulwalker

I can see your frustration here. I have spent several hours in the lfg just to have the same thing happen to me. By the time the que finally pops though i don't really care because it's just so hard to find a group unless your spamming for it anyhow. Not to sure how i would feel about cross server ques "to be honest not even sure if that's in the game but i believe it's not" I just am not a fan of having to wait so long to do what you want to do. But then again as you said you can't blame them because it's the best possible way for them to even get a group for whatever it is they want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Barsh View Post

In other words if you get transported into DSM you have to do it, if you requeue the group should be disbanded and you go back to the end of the queue.

I agree. Some people port into random dungeon and then re-queue over and over to get specific dungeon. I consider this an oversight on the developers' part. Those players want to do specific dungeon buy also want to get random dungeon bonus.

If they want to do specific dungeons, queue up for specific ones, and shouldn't be able to get random bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    there is no way a mage could out dps a cleric in this game. sad to say but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    mage - the garbage man, taking out the trash.

Rift Disciple

holy crap!!!1

you met someone who actually wants to do DD???

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    There seems to be a problem when using the LFG tool for a specific dungeon. When queue'd for a specific dungeon, it's not uncommon to be matched to a group looking to random under they get their desired dungeon. Such groups will requeue endlessly to get their desired dungeon for a chance at loot they want. Who can blame them? I loathe doing random dungeons that do not benefit me. I really have no problem with this practice, except that if you're not of a similar mind as the randoming group you're royally screwed.

Example: Let's say I queue specifically for RD. I have no desire to do any other instances as I'm only farming RD for one specific drop that has eluded since the beginning of time. The queue takes 45 minutes, but I'm finally matched to a group and port in. Upon loading I'm greeted with, "herp derp, let's do DSM or DD." I have no interest in DSM or DD. I queue'd for RD. Before I can object the queue window pops asking for my role verification. At this point I can either go with the flow or bail, either of which will result in wasting another 45 minutes for the opportunity (not guarantee) of doing the dungeon I want. I can't blame the group for requeueing; it's the most efficient use of their time. But, at the same time, it hoses me over.

There are numerous possible solutions to this problem, but the simplest would be to abandon the random concept in the LFG system. Let people queue for the dungeons they want while still obtaining the bonus.
    Once all the members of the group except and are ported in to said dungeon there should be like a 10 - 30 minute cooldown before you can requeue. ;)

RIFT Fan Site Operator Starseeker's Avatar

The whole "random" concept is moot anyways. People just requeue till they get the one they want, so in reality, they should just make it so if you use the LFG tool to go to the dungeon (in a Pug or preformed) you can get the quest.

There are certain t2 zones that my guild can't clear yet, would be nice to just beable to say "lets go to RD or CC" instead of great we are in DSM...reque.

Cleric - Defiant - Greybriar

Leader of Midnight Aeternus Guild

Plane Touched

I can certainly sympathize with the OP. I often sign up for random hoping I will get a dungeon I need something out of, but never ask to re-queue if I do not.

Sadly, once I have done a dungeon in a 24 hour period, I cannot spam queue it to get what I need or want loot wise because I am locked out and it makes matters worse that I get locked out whether I complete the dungeon or not (and I always want to, but sometimes a group just disbands despite my wishes).

Being locked out really disappoints and infuriates me. I am not even sure why this was implemented.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Barsh View Post

This. Honestly, it's just amateur-hour coding that they even allowed the system to work like it does int he first place. You made the system random so that you couldn't choose the instance, and then didn't prevent people from just requeuing instantly until it's not random any more. That's like locking your car and leaving the windows down all the way.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

A few times I use 'pick' dugeon option and forfit the extra plaque as I only want to run one dugeon and had the extact same thing happen to be that the OP had.

It did not appear to make me lose my place in the que.

A group formed, (I was healer), the leader said they did not want to do this instance and requed the group. I declined the new group form and was ported back to where I was before and got a new group a few mins later.

I also got a tell from the first group leader asking me why I dumped them and now grouped with someone else. I told him that I was only interested in one instance and when he requed the group I did not want to go do a different random instance.

He then got mad, as I was already in new group now and about to do the instance I wanted. He was still sending me random tells about 1hr later when I was about to FINISH that instance (I guess they were still looking for a healer.)

Leaders need to check with the WHOLE group before requeing as not all members will be signed up for a RANDOM instance

I somewhat sympathise, but if I random queue and end up in the same dungeon 3 times in a day (AP) then I WILL ask for a re-queue and if its not done I leave. The reason I random queue whilst hoping for a specific dungeon is the plaques, they should just bring back the old system of collecting dailies cause it seems to punish you for not going in a random order. Whats more, if I have everything I need from one specific dungeon including rep (guess which one) but others are ok why cant I ask for re-queue?

Just say no thanks I'd like to finish ____ it's not very long. \<.</ It's not that hard.
    Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet! For you may never know, from day to day, which ones you will have to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Uiin View Post
    I somewhat sympathise, but if I random queue and end up in the same dungeon 3 times in a day (AP) then I WILL ask for a re-queue and if its not done I leave. The reason I random queue whilst hoping for a specific dungeon is the plaques, they should just bring back the old system of collecting dailies cause it seems to punish you for not going in a random order. Whats more, if I have everything I need from one specific dungeon including rep (guess which one) but others are ok why cant I ask for re-queue?
    Thats all cool, but if one of the members, qued sololy for the dugeon that just popped, also expect them to leave if the rest don't stay. Both options are the users choice, and neither should be hassled for what they want (leaving if they have done that instance much, or leaving if the rest of the group wants to change instances and they don't)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast