+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resistances on Tank

Champion

Default Resistances on Tank

I'm gearing up a tank (warrior) to do raid tier stuff, and I was a bit unclear about what I should be aiming for with resistances. I know for greenscale himself you really need to stack up the life resist, but is the same true of river of souls and gilded prophecy? Is death resist for RoS and earth resist in Gilded Prophecy that important?

Shadowlander

I didn't bother trying to get my life resist up since we have a good rogue tank who tanks GS for us. I went more death resist for RoS and it does help out quite a bit on Plutonous. I can get up to 154(17%ish reduction?) without having a sigil specifically for death resist. That combined with a well designed magic dmg reduction build and you don't take much damage from death spells. Our guild hasn't started working on Herald yet but i hear its a death magic heavy fight as well.

Prophet of Telara

I am OCD, so I build up resists. I have a 289 (after buffs) Life, Death, and Earth resist set. (Currently working on Water/Air/Fire) (Death I actually get to 299 but that's due to Trion Collector's Edition Rune)

Do you need that much? No. Does it help on some encounters? Yes for sure, and relieves some pressure off your healers and helps prevent some wipes that a mistake on the healers part might have caused otherwise. Granted there are some times (i.e your group misses an interrupt on Herald adds causing you to get debuffed) that as a Warrior all that death resist isn't going to save you really....

For most fights, your 153 Death Resist is more then ample to handle though in RoS. GP, Earth Resist makes taking damage much much easier on Uruluuk (Not sure if you got to him yet, but his Slivers of Earth don't hit me for more then 2.4k). But our first kill of him I only had 70 Earth Resist (planar/buff) so even there it's not needed and just makes it easier as you get more.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Ascendant

Is Earth resist only needed for Uruluuk in GP? How about the other bosses in GP?
    Hitme (W) - Byriel - Dark Horizon
    Darane (C) - Faeblight - Knights of Septoria

It's not actually all that useful, or necessary. Minor luxury
    Last edited by Fiasco3; 05-23-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Ascendant

Figure we might as well have any edge we can when finally venturing into GP. Don't have much else to do either while waiting for others to gear up.
    Hitme (W) - Byriel - Dark Horizon
    Darane (C) - Faeblight - Knights of Septoria

Prophet of Telara

You'll do fine with none, aside from main tanking Greenscale as a warrior. You'll make life a lot simpler if you have some on various fights (Hylas a bit of life resist might help, plant tanking on Greenscale some death resist is good, etc.), but it's by no means required. I'm starting to build up a planar focus of each resist though, just because it's an easy piece you can swap out, and I've got my epic-ed out ones for general use already.

As somebody lazy who only has three sigils (tanking, dps, and one resist) I made my resist one Death. It works for plant duty on Greenscale, which I usually do, as well as for everything in RoS.

+ Reply to Thread