+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T2's too easy? Go raid.

Default T2's too easy? Go raid.

There is a lot of people saying that once you have enough gear for T2 you should raid. Raiding is content for you hardcore devils and should replace running dungeons as an activity.

However, getting 10/20/whatever people together and doing something hard is fun, once a week or so. While it is reasonable to get 20 people together on say a Saturday afternoon with prior arrangement, it is not reasonable to do so every day; Especially on work nights. Same reason people don't invite 20 of their closest friends for a BBQ every day. It's fun, but it's also tiring and expensive in terms of time invested.

So what are T1 - T2 geared people to do during the week, particularly because dungeon drops are now lower in power than plaque gear? The old difficulty of the T2 dungeons and their drop rate encouraged players to run one a night and get some reward for it. Doing so now is both rather pointless and, more importantly, boring. Raiding is not a replacement for dungeon runs, it's more of a supplement.
    Last edited by Tieral; 05-23-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    If the cage with an elephant is labelled 'rabbit' do not believe your eyes

Telaran

My group of regulars ran some Expert Rifts on Saturday night. However, that was the first thing we'd done since a few days after 1.2 went live. Other than that, I've been playing single player games.

Unless something changes, there really isn't much point in logging in for my play style and limited time. I only add this point becuase I feel that I represent the non-hardcore, but serious player (who would be more hardcore if I had different priorities).

Telaran

What do you do when raiding is too easy? I'm having WoW raiding syndrome, where all the bosses in GP/RoS/GS are dead so we have nothing else left to do but stare awkwardly at each other and make the occasional sex joke.
    If you complain about Rift being compared to WoW, then don't use the "At least Rift is better than WoW" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Tieral View Post
    While it is reasonable to get 20 people together on say a Saturday afternoon with prior arrangement, it is not reasonable to do so every day; Especially on work nights. Same reason people don't invite 20 of their closest friends for a BBQ every day.
    Great way to put it.
    Gestalt - Dayblind <PvP> - Defiant

Soulwalker

I have been making attempts to run T2's since 1.2 However after multiple runs I have finally made the decision to be a done for awhile. Love rift but at this point I don't have the time to raid and T2's and become worthless. I would like to continue to enjoy Rift but there is no major content that they are currently offering to keep me going. I knew this day would come when they posted about throwing out 10mans. Some people including myself don't have the time to raid 3-4 nights a week. Hopefully Trion see this and gets their butt in gear to make some necessary changes...

make your own challenges.

me and my group recently got the sever 1st achievements for rapid assault DD and rapid DSM.
    idk, we figured everyone on the server must be really bad, because it wasn't even all that hard.

doing a under 20-minute AP run is also preetty kewl.
    (people all in T2 gear, with maybe an odd greenscale drop here and there)

burning 5 t2's in 2 hours feels gud.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by neurological View Post
    That works for a week or two.

Then go you realize that you should play games that are fun instead of having to make your own fun.

It's a shame - the dungeons used to be excellent. Fastest decline of fun I've ever seen.
    I'll admit - I want my food pellets. We run the maze, we get cheese. Except they've removed all the branches from the maze, there's no interim cheese anymore, and the end-cheese is processed cheese food instead of cheddar.

Quote Originally Posted by neurological View Post

burning 5 t2's in 2 hours feels gud.
    Kind of like, instead of robbing lunch money off one second grader, see if you can collect $100 in an hour from two entire second grade classes. Man this is making my mouth water it sounds so fun.
    Gestalt - Dayblind <PvP> - Defiant

Soulwalker

Default 5 Man

When it comes down to it, all everyone wants is hard 5 man dungeons.

10 man and 20 man runs take more time to organise.

Maybe a good patch would be a few more 5 man dungeons that are t2 1/2 lol.

Yeah i guess server transfers will take care of this problem.

For now we are working on rapid assault achievement...
    Nuked DSM in 42min and IT in 23 last night.... was lots fun.

3 rogues a warrior and a mage healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Raids take minimal effort on your part if you join an established guild. I don't see the belly aching here. I thought the thread would be-- t2's are easy, go try raids. However, it's t2's are easy, but raids are too much work to attempt. With little to no risk or trial, there's no long term (or short for that matter) feeling of any accomplishment to a game.

However, getting 10/20/whatever people together and doing something hard is fun, once a week or so. While it is reasonable to get 20 people together on say a Saturday afternoon with prior arrangement, it is not reasonable to do so every day; Especially on work nights. Same reason people don't invite 20 of their closest friends for a BBQ every day. It's fun, but it's also tiring and expensive in terms of time invested.
    I do feel your pain here, but an established guild with a clear hierarchy and leadership eliminates a lot of problems. In the current Rift raiding environment, you can comfortable raid "casually" for 6-10 hours a week and clear all content. I'd imagine it'd take 1-2 months of "progression" on that same content before clear, but that's still respectable. It took my guild about a month of GSB and RoS "progression", and we did a GSB clear and 2 RoS bosses in 2.5 hours last night. Raiding isn't just about server firsts, and trust me, raiding several hours for 4+ days a week exhausts your guild and you have to continually refresh the guild with recruits. It's not fun.

Quick disclaimer, I work 8-5, am married, and I tutor history on the side for 8-12 hours a week. I also raid, and have raided since mid April for 8-12 hours a week over 3 nights.
    Last edited by ethix; 05-24-2011 at 06:15 AM.
    Brynx <Myth> Mage of Seastone

As to making your own fun, I have nothing against short hard dungeon runs, so long as they remain fun. When the dungeon is simplified to the point where you can run 5 of them in an hour with no risk of dying, it's not fun no matter what. It also devalues the carrot of having achieved a certain gear level that made previously hard fights much easier and the feeling of achieving something non trivial. Point is, right now, 5 mans are simply not entertaining.

At a certain point, if you have to make your own fun in a game, I would rather just go play a game of chess or something. That's how populations dwindle, and games die out. Nobody wants that I think, because Rift does have potential. In fact it was almost optimally tuned (in terms of difficulty) before the patch.
    If the cage with an elephant is labelled 'rabbit' do not believe your eyes

Default Raid

I am with Ethix here, if T2 dungeons are too easy for you, but you can't get 10-20 people together on most nights you need to look for a guild that can support more players your caliber. I know people love to flame references to other games, but in EQ it was quite common to raid with 20+ people 3 to 4 nights a week, and that was with spawn competition. In this game you can even schedule everything to the most comfortable time slot. It seems to me that 5 man content is supposed to reach a point of simplicity eventually. The solution is to sit at the big boy table and invest the time and effort into raiding. If you don't want to do that, then yes you have run out of content...

What i see from the Op and several other posters here is the desire for 5 man content to be mini raids that they can do and feel challenged while doing them with raid gear, raid awareness and raid reflexes.
    When in true 5 man content should never had been these players playground to begin with!
    If these zones are tuned ot give these players a challenge then the players that are not on that level of play have zero hope of completing them.

Your thread title says it just how i feel If you find 5man content to easy then your well past them in gear, awareness and reflexes and should be doing raids instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Tieral View Post
    Wut. Just join a guild with a schedule that suits you.

We raid Mon/Weds/Fri 8pm - 10 or 10.30pm. How on earth is that "expensive in terms of time invested". If anything, its even easier than grouping since you know exactly when you are going to start and exactly when you are going to finish, you know exactly who is going to be there and there is no waiting around trying to form a group.
    Anduri - Gelidra
    United Kingdoms

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast