+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll NEED only if it's an upgrade for your current ROLE?

Default Roll NEED only if it's an upgrade for your current ROLE?

For years, the standard rule for rolling need is whether it's an upgrade that you need and will use. It's simple. Simple enough for anyone to follow and there are no arguments.

In a recent group, the tank complained when I wanted to roll need on a tanking drop. I was in a DPS role for the group, but I usually tank. Being polite, I passed on it. He didn't even thank me. I had a strong feeling that if I had rolled need, he would have blacklisted me and kicked me.

But as a tank, I've lost MANY tanking items to group members who rolled need on a tank drop. Similarly, I've lost tons of healing drops when I play my healer. I've lost tons of dps drops when I dps.

So what's the rule?

The rule is in the title. instead of ?'s you use .'s

Plane Walker

If an item is BoE and i'm forced into a role I don't particularly like, i'll ask to roll need anyway. Most people don't care if you ask them to be honest.

Just don't be an *** about it.
    Looking for a mature, casual guild focused on having fun?
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

roll need if you really need it
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=543776&dateline=12967  48524

Ascendant

General rule of thumb is that if you're not tanking, you pass on any tank gear that the tank Needs. If they pass or greed, you can Need because they obviously don't want/need it. If you want tank gear, tank the run. Tank gear is too specialized and uncommon to be fighting for it with dps.

In a perfect world, we could all trust one another to roll Need only on things they absolutely know they will use. The sad fact of the matter is that there is never a shortage of people who will roll on gear they will never use but want it "just in case." Anyone who has done any significant amount of tanking has been burned by dps who always seem to roll Need on that one piece you've been running that same dungeon over and over again trying to get it because it's a significant upgrade but it never drops until...it goes to someone else.

No matter how you look at it, there are valid arguments on both sides that will say how one approach or another is fair or unfair. And so in order to simplify it and cut out the grey areas, "for your current role only" has largely been adopted as the generic loot convention. Some tanks don't care if you roll against them on tank drops. Others will boot you in a heartbeat if they have lead. When in doubt, ask. Ideally at the start of the run. If you don't like the answer, you can always leave the group without having wasted much of your time (or theirs).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Lord View Post
    The rule is in the title. instead of ?'s you use .'s
    People don't seem to follow it at all. Like I said, I've lost numerous drops to people playing non-tank and non-healer roles.

I have a feeling that people only follow this rule when it suits them. Like in my example, it obviously benefited the tank because he ended up being the only person who rolled need.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Drenai View Post
    If an item is BoE and i'm forced into a role I don't particularly like, i'll ask to roll need anyway. Most people don't care if you ask them to be honest.

Just don't be an *** about it.
    Same goes for me as well as with BoP items... but then again I'm on Endless and it's a relatively low pop server so most of the 50's realize that reputation goes a LONG way... if you're a jerk and word gets out g'luck getting groups for anything, you'd be better off just rerolling on another server lol

The rules are what you decide upon entering the dungeon.

Rift toons having 4 souls with different roles, and many of them being forced into a particular role just to be able to do PvE, they should be allowed to roll for their other roles (damn that sounds weird).

PS: don't forget that 5th soul, called Runecrafters, where all your phawt lewts are belong to us !

"Eradicating your buffs since May 11th 2011"

aux

Roll Need if you're going to use it. It's that simple.

If someone /ignores you for doing that, they're doing you a favor, you'll never have to group with them again.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Ideally at the start of the run.
    Good advice. I'll do that in the future. Clarifying need rules at the start of an instance run. Hopefully, I'll actually start winning tank drops for my tank now.

Quote Originally Posted by fervor View Post
    People don't seem to follow it at all. Like I said, I've lost numerous drops to people playing non-tank and non-healer roles.

I have a feeling that people only follow this rule when it suits them. Like in my example, it obviously benefited the tank because he ended up being the only person who rolled need.
    Right when you get in the dungeon say it, "Roll need for your spec only and ask if you can need on off spec pieces". If no one agrees or they whine simply leave or fight for them, that's just stupid people being *****.

Shadowlander

I always asks if its OK for me to roll if its a good upgrade for a spec Im not using in the dungeon.
    Ive never had anyone say "No, you cant roll".
    Snikmund

Default Not a good idea

Only one place for loot rules, in your guild.

Players that routinely Need on everything in instances will become isolated in no time at all.

Most players know the N/G and can make their own decision about what they do or do not need. In pugs if you have any loot issues then say so at the start - rolling on souls and the like.
    Notice : My signature is now only available from my shop.

If I always read it fine, the button is "Need", not "Your soul need". If a mage wants to start healing, but doesn't want to let the party wipe 'cause of his equip, I think he's right to need healing equip even if he's a DPS in that moment. Same for the other classes. It's just an act of maturity to have a *decent* equip before tanking/healing, the key-roles of a party (you can always lack a DPS, but tank/healer are necessary and fundamental).
    Last edited by elegos87; 05-23-2011 at 02:28 AM.
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz | GPU: GeForce 560 GTX Ti | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz 7-9-7-24 | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by fervor View Post
    For years, the standard rule for rolling need is whether it's an upgrade that you need and will use. It's simple. Simple enough for anyone to follow and there are no arguments.

In a recent group, the tank complained when I wanted to roll need on a tanking drop. I was in a DPS role for the group, but I usually tank. Being polite, I passed on it. He didn't even thank me. I had a strong feeling that if I had rolled need, he would have blacklisted me and kicked me.

But as a tank, I've lost MANY tanking items to group members who rolled need on a tank drop. Similarly, I've lost tons of healing drops when I play my healer. I've lost tons of dps drops when I dps.

So what's the rule?
    I roll need if I want it for any role I activly use, no matter what role the LFD system put me the group as. It's extremely seldom anything drops that I want for anything thou. And I usually pass if it's just a lesser upgrade, but the choice is still mine.

I'm there to gear myself up, not random people I don't know. Ofcourse, I could join as just one role, but everyone gets groups faster if everyone joins as everything.

In a group with friends or a guild group, then it is a completely different issue.
    Last edited by Luterin; 05-23-2011 at 02:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast