+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atrophinius the Fallen problems

Telaran

Default Atrophinius the Fallen problems

Hi all.

I've just tried killing this boss on two separate occasions with two separate teams, and we ran into the same problems.

Basically everyone understands and is capable of getting out of LOS when they need to, and if that were all there was to this fight we'd have been fine. But in both groups, once the two bard elite adds come out, we end up wiping.

We tried having the tank take all three mobs, but the damage was too much for our healers to heal through. Tried this once with 2 cleric healers, though one was under geared, and then tried it with a chloro/cleric. Neither could keep the tank up in this situation.

We tried having the DPS take out the adds, but they would end up killing us when the tank didn't have them.

I was DPS in one instance, and the healer in another. I don't think I'm a bad healer. I've healed expert AP, CC and DSM with no problems.

In one case the tank had about 10k health and in the other about 9k.

Anyway, what's the secret to handling the adds here? What's the ideal party set up? What are we doing wrong?

Soulwalker

Default Wierd

I've tanked him and the ads together everytime and damage to me was quite manageable. You're probably unlucky with the tanks that you got on those 2 occasions. Either they have bad mitigation spec or undergeared.
    Last edited by nimrod22; 05-22-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod22 View Post
    I've tanked him and the ads always and damage to me was quite manageable. You're probably unlucky with the tanks that you got on those 2 occasions. Either they have bad mitigation or undergeared.

Ahh ok. It's quite possible. They weren't tanks I've run with before.

Soulwalker

It sounds like it could be an issue with gear, the players, or both.

In my experience, boss + both adds are tankable (even pre-1.2) by either a Justicar or Warrior tank. You've already mentioned a few ways to try dealing with problems: 1) Add a second healer and/or 2) Have DPS tank the adds. Since neither of those worked, a second player with a tank spec could potentially grab the adds to reduce the healing requirement on the MT. If none of these options work, it's probably not an issue with your gear. In that case, players in your group have major issues (build and/or skill).

Soulwalker

Im guessing when your tank dies its during an LoS phase + adds and he cant be topped off after returning back between the pillars and gets killed. If its the case when the tank is running back from around the pillars have him run further out and your healers take a few steps backwards. This allows for about 2-3 seconds of extra healing before the boss is back on the tank which should be plenty to top off the tank with a support and main healer.
    Last edited by Shnuu; 05-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Ascendant

Gotta be something with your healers specs or gear (or that of the tank)

I'm in pretty much full t2 gear (and 1 piece of t3).. 38 sent/28 warden

I've solo healed this mob with no problems (although my tank has always been pretty well geared)

Most of the time we just burn the boss and leave the adds up for the achievement (yeah they can hit for a bit but if the tank keeps aggro its not that hard)
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Plane Touched

if two healers cannot keep up the tank with all 3 on him, i'd have to say it is something wrong with the tank (spec or gear). i can tank the boss and adds with only one healer, and i've done it with a solo chloro and solo cleric. i am full T2 geared but still with 2 healers there shouldn't be that much of a problem.
    5/5 GSB - 4/4 RoS - 4/4 GP - 4/4 DH - 4/4 RotP - 10/10 HK - 5/8 ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellebron View Post
    If you were actually in the beta test skype channel you would have a different opinion of things. Picture a bunch of neckbeards arguing over ID and class tuning 24/7 while waiting to get picked for kickball. That's a more accurate picture.

Telaran

After 1.2 I've had no issues with him at all. Both my guild tanks and pug tanks have pretty easily tanked boss and adds (pugs wanted bard to offheal, guildies do it with solo healer). Even very modestly geared and inexperienced rogue pug tanked them all.

Pre 1.2 when we had a bit worse gear we found the easiest way to be using an off tank and bard. Yeah, it was pretty slow but it lowered the tank damage a lot. Ah, those days when the multiple role system still had its uses
    Last edited by kuukkeli; 05-22-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shnuu View Post
    Im guessing when your tank dies its during an LoS phase + adds and he cant be topped off after returning back between the pillars and gets killed. If its the case when the tank is running back from around the pillars have him run further out and your healers take a few steps backwards. This allows for about 2-3 seconds of extra healing before the boss is back on the tank which should be plenty to top off the tank with a support and main healer.

Yeah I think that happened a couple of times. Thanks I'll try to remember that.

Rift Chaser

ive always tanked all 3, even when i was running in just t1 gear, and barely scratching 8k hp buffed. Make sure your tank is interupting the adds casts to reduce damage being taken.

Champion of Telara

have the tank aoe aggro the adds. then just keep working aoe attacks (paladin light decree or reaver aoe dots work great here) to hold the adds while keeping the boss targetted. Then run away from the bomb when it is going off then return back to him.. not hard at all and easy enough to solo heal these days

my bet what happened was the tank panicked and didnt keep target on the boss, instead rotating thru the adds. While doing so probably missed the message about the Death Rite going off and got caught in the bomb.

When the adds spawn we either have our dps just aoe the boss to kill them, or else we mark them and kill them one at a time.
    Drakkles - Warrior - Jynxed
    ]

Rift Disciple

Another way is to have a class with pet tank one of the adds. Then have the group dps the add and chain stun him. By the time the pet died, the add should die too. We did that we our tank weren't so geared. Now it is not even an issue.

Soulwalker

don't tank the 2 adds together in the first place.

with 1 main heal and 1 support, you should be able to keep 1 dps up while he's dpsing the first add with the others on it as well.

have the tank to aggro the 2nd add away from the group.

reason why you need to separate the adds is because when they are together, they will throw a dmg reduction debuff on your dps, as well as a healing debuff (50% less heals), which is why you are probably wiping. (adds die slow, and you can't keep your tank alive)

understand the mechanics, I think the people who bothered doing T2s were in all blues or half epics when it was pre 1.2 also against a harder hitting and higher HP boss. so I don't think it's a gear problem.

im a rogue tank myself, what i do during the add's phase is pop my mitigation cooldowns when needed. As some above mentioned, usually tank dies when he goes into los with 40-50% HP, and upon exiting los dies to mighty cleave + bleed ( yes they still hit the tank decently in 1.2 )

just separate the adds, have the rest focus on 1 adds, don't forget to top up tank after los ends and as soon as the 1st add is dead, you should be fine,

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by advantisgarde View Post
    don't tank the 2 adds together in the first place.

with 1 main heal and 1 support, you should be able to keep 1 dps up while he's dpsing the first add with the others on it as well.

have the tank to aggro the 2nd add away from the group.

reason why you need to separate the adds is because when they are together, they will throw a dmg reduction debuff on your dps, as well as a healing debuff (50% less heals), which is why you are probably wiping. (adds die slow, and you can't keep your tank alive)

understand the mechanics, I think the people who bothered doing T2s were in all blues or half epics when it was pre 1.2 also against a harder hitting and higher HP boss. so I don't think it's a gear problem.

im a rogue tank myself, what i do during the add's phase is pop my mitigation cooldowns when needed. As some above mentioned, usually tank dies when he goes into los with 40-50% HP, and upon exiting los dies to mighty cleave + bleed ( yes they still hit the tank decently in 1.2 )

just separate the adds, have the rest focus on 1 adds, don't forget to top up tank after los ends and as soon as the 1st add is dead, you should be fine,
    Thank you! This is all really good info.

Soulwalker

np, feel free to ask me regarding any other T2 boss mechanics

as much as T2 has been brought down a huge notch since 1.2

some of the bosses still require certain degree of intelligence and not simply face rolling

the 4 man T2 runs is true which is why ppl have been saying its a cake walk

yet

i still see some people in my friendlist complaining about wipefest with bosses like scarn(which is also severely nerfed) because people simply do not explain boss mechanics anymore.

seasoned people like us will never have a problem with T2s, especially because we have BEEN there and DONE that (not that i took 5hrs to complete a T2, but i did take 2hrs or so to learn every T2 dungeons boss mechanic pre 1.2 and then completing them later on within 1-1.5hrs once you and your group is clear on what's happening)

the new bunch of people that hit 50 will have problems because there is a lesser need to learn. And this bunch of people will continue to get hit hard and wipe hard regardless if it was nerfed at all.

+ Reply to Thread