+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hylas Movement and Soul Fracture Reduction

Rift Disciple

Default Hylas Movement and Soul Fracture Reduction

Hi there,

I am a warrior tank. Ive seen a bunch of hylas guides saying moving hylas during phase one will reduce the number of soul fractures. I havnt found this to be the case he simply stops running toward you and casts then starts running again. Occasionally he will not cast soul fracture but he will cast as soon as he gets to you. Is there some way to kite him to avoid a few fractures?

Telaran

To avoid them? No. You can delay them for a few seconds. Speaking as a healer, it can mess up your expected rotation when trying to pre-cast an AoE heal.

It's a good idea to make sure that everyone in the raid understands why you are doing things, instead of just going by the youtube video everyone watched. You can probably have fewer Soul Fractures doing it this way, but I would only avoid them if you're having trouble surviving them.
    Anthal - 50 Cleric
    Guild Leader of Exiled on Galena

Those guides are outdated. You used to be able to interrupt his casting by moving, but that was fixed a long time ago.

Just have your archon do their job, use planar protection if need be, run fanfare of vigor or something to get the raid health up and have people not stand near your healers. If your healers are smart, you can precast aoe heals to land as it goes off, it is a pretty easy mechanic once you get it down. Hope that helps.
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

>they need to interrupt soul fracture

laughinggirls.jpg

Hylas *always* (unless he bugs out a little bit) casts spells in the same order.

AoE --> Squirrel --> Soul Fracture. One right after the other. Every time. So call out the squirrel cast and have your healers start precasting big heals for the Fracture at that point.

EXCEPTION: Second soul fracture of phase 1 and phase 2 have different timing, those go off 5-6 seconds after squirrel. Not sure why.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by tordana View Post
    Hylas *always* (unless he bugs out a little bit) casts spells in the same order.

AoE --> Squirrel --> Soul Fracture. One right after the other. Every time. So call out the squirrel cast and have your healers start precasting big heals for the Fracture at that point.

EXCEPTION: Second soul fracture of phase 1 and phase 2 have different timing, those go off 5-6 seconds after squirrel. Not sure why.
    We had one odd day where it went Wrath > Fracture > Squirrel.

We liked that better actually, made healing a lot easier on fracture ;)
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mocktrial View Post
    Hi there,

I am a warrior tank. Ive seen a bunch of hylas guides saying moving hylas during phase one will reduce the number of soul fractures. I havnt found this to be the case he simply stops running toward you and casts then starts running again. Occasionally he will not cast soul fracture but he will cast as soon as he gets to you. Is there some way to kite him to avoid a few fractures?
    People above me are wrong. You can completely avoid soul fractures by kiting him, however you require a rogue tank in order to do it.

You can only really successfuly kite him during the final phase, before then it isn't worth the confusion and DPS loss, etc. So don't bother during phase 1. It also does not seem to reduce his cast rate until the final phase. Final reason not to even attempt to kite him in phase 1 is his cast order can get out of whack and that spells trouble for an inexperienced/undergeared group.

How my guild runs it is after burning CDs to break his channel quickly he insta-casts a soul fracture that needs to be healed through and then the tank is off. Rogue tank requires insoles and also bard move speed buff and a ridiculous number of teleports, however it is possible to completely avoid any soul fractures using this method. What most likely happens is Hylas catches up once or twice during the kiting and goes through his rotation again (ending in soul fracture), but there is such a long time inbetween casts that it should cause no problems to anyone in the group.

Good luck!

Source: Our guild has used this technique to kill him since our second Hylas kill to make it less stressful for the healers and for redundacncy. Last Hylas kill this week. Next Hylas kill: tonight :P

If he somehow no longer does this then I'll let you know (but he does).

- THE Doctorsheen -
    As seen on TV

Rift Disciple

That is so cheesy
    Pestis - Mage - Belmont

+ Reply to Thread