+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Greenscale's Blight: Infiltrator Johlen

Shadowlander

Thumbs down Greenscale's Blight: Infiltrator Johlen

I would like to give some feedback on this boss.

As a melee player in a melee heavy raid, I am finding this boss more difficult than anything I have ever encountered before.

- Bomb graphic-light-marker-zone (forward 'graphic') frequently bugs, showing nothing but exploding anyway
    - Bomb graphic appears slightly later than the actual bomb, which at times is impossible to see in a raid with a fair amount of melee, let alone in a melee heavy raid
    - Probably due to the above reason, the amount of time to move out of the area is less than the time it takes to move out if you are in the middle, unless you have good reaction time and lag
    - Unfortunately, not everyone has minimum latency or instant reaction speed. I have never seen a raid with such a harsh amount of time to move out of void zones or ground AoE.
    - Melee, who already cannot see the bombs until the graphic appears, are highly clustered and therefore will be at far greater risk of being caught out.

End result, boss mechanic = RNG death and/or overtuned reaction requirement. I implore Trion to adjust this to be more forgiving to those who have slightly slower reactions, and luck, than perfect.

My guild has this boss down to ~3%

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    I would like to give some feedback on this boss.

As a melee player in a melee heavy raid, I am finding this boss more difficult than anything I have ever encountered before.

- Bomb graphic-light-marker-zone (forward 'graphic') frequently bugs, showing nothing but exploding anyway
    - Bomb graphic appears slightly later than the actual bomb, which at times is impossible to see in a raid with a fair amount of melee, let alone in a melee heavy raid
    - Probably due to the above reason, the amount of time to move out of the area is less than the time it takes to move out if you are in the middle, unless you have good reaction time and lag
    - Unfortunately, not everyone has minimum latency or instant reaction speed. I have never seen a raid with such a harsh amount of time to move out of void zones or ground AoE.
    - Melee, who already cannot see the bombs until the graphic appears, are highly clustered and therefore will be at far greater risk of being caught out.

End result, boss mechanic = RNG death and/or overtuned reaction requirement. I implore Trion to adjust this to be more forgiving to those who have slightly slower reactions, and luck, than perfect.

On the upside, if the boss is tanked in the middle during the first 3 phases, melee probably won't be killed if they get caught because it won't fling them all the way out into the wisps. And if everyone is stacked on the tank during the last 25%, it's very, very easy to see when he teleports and drops his bombs. You could even practice everyone stacking during all of the phases to make every teleport well-contained and very obvious.

Edit: But yeah, he's a bastard
    Last edited by Lucubration; 05-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.

No, this fight does not need to be adjusted at all. I'm tired of people complaining instead of trying to find a way to actually try something different.

I love this fight because of how hard it is. You know how often we get challenged in games today? Hardly ever! GSB is not for a guild who is half geared and who have the mindset of someone who plays for 1-2 hours a day. Leave the hard core content alone. It's hard core for a reason. Once you down one boss, you have a whole week to figure out the rest of the bosses.
    So my advice to you. FIGURE IT OUT!

For our guild, if you can not see the bombs or keep getting knocked out, we require that you turn down your settings all the way and relog. It always fixes it. Our melee DPS never has a problem and we are about 50/50 with range and melee on that fight.

You have about 5 seconds to move. Your DPS doesn't have to be spectacular on johlen; it's the devastation bomb where it has to be spectacular. If you have to be more cautious, then go ahead. That 7 minute enrage timer is longer than you think.

This fight will make your guild better. Do not ask for them to adjust a fight just so your guild can skip past it.

Get better reaction times. Whether this means getting off your dial up, upgrading your computer, or playing some Flash based shooter games for practice, do it.

EDIT: Stack better in the 4th phase and don't focus so much on DPS over positioning, and you will win.
    Last edited by Albane; 05-03-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayakov View Post
    No, this fight does not need to be adjusted at all. I'm tired of people complaining instead of trying to find a way to actually try something different.

I love this fight because of how hard it is. You know how often we get challenged in games today? Hardly ever! GSB is not for a guild who is half geared and who have the mindset of someone who plays for 1-2 hours a day. Leave the hard core content alone. It's hard core for a reason. Once you down one boss, you have a whole week to figure out the rest of the bosses.

For our guild, if you can not see the bombs or keep getting knocked out, we require that you turn down your settings all the way and relog. It always fixes it. Our melee DPS never has a problem and we are about 50/50 with range and melee on that fight.

You have about 5 seconds to move. Your DPS doesn't have to be spectacular on johlen; it's the devastation bomb where it has to be spectacular. If you have to be more cautious, then go ahead. That 7 minute enrage timer is longer than you think.

I was doing this as rdps and actually find it easier to do more dps as mdps. GS in general isn't the hard if people are playing and not watching tv at the same time.

Trion needs to promote better play rather than nerfing content because of whining like the OP.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Believe it or not this is a melee friendly fight.
    9/9

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post

That's the real issue. If you could kill him you wouldn't be complaining.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mayakov View Post

Agreed - people need to stop crying about encounters. If other guilds are killing this boss the way he is, then you can too. An encounter only needs to be changed (ie: nerfed) if NO ONE can kill the boss, or only a handful of guilds in the world even after hitting the appropriate hit/focus/toughness and using a proper strategy. Play an easier game if you can't handle it.

Invisible attack are one a valid complaint. A graphical glitch should be fixed. However, if you can't see it because your PC is chugging, swallow the bullet and turn off the eye candy. If it's still "hard" get better. Hundreds of people have done it, so it's obviously not impossible. Raids are about testing your teamwork and skill sets... not IWIN buttons for better gear. The one concession I will make is the flash bomb is a royal pain to see as it's just a small flailing bolt of light in an area full of LARGE FLAILING LIGHTS.

tldr; l2p nub

On a side note- Bosses like Rictus REAAAAAAALLLY need to be fixed. I can spend 30 minutes dying to this buggy prick. Invisible AOEs, chain pulls, double AOEs...

I've had him drop an AOE on me (tanking) and I run out. He pulls everyone, slows them, ground pounds, pulls them, and ground pounds. That 9/10 times wipes everyone not the tank. Rictus is not an encounter of skill, it's 80%+ luck. He needs a cool down on the pull of at least 10 seconds and about 8 seconds on the AOE smash because if he does either consecutively, someone WILL die and it's unavoidable.
    Last edited by Kayden Fox; 05-03-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Ascendant

It is a shame that they nerfed his 1.0 incarnation.
    www.maximation.us
    #1 Guardian raiding guild. Check us out if you think you have what it takes!

-Opi & Opii @ Shatterbone

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    Invisible attack are one a valid complaint. A graphical glitch should be fixed. However, if you can't see it because your PC is chugging, swallow the bullet and turn off the eye candy. If it's still "hard" get better. Hundreds of people have done it, so it's obviously not impossible. Raids are about testing your teamwork and skill sets... not IWIN buttons for better gear. The one concession I will make is the flash bomb is a royal pain to see as it's just a small flailing bolt of light in an area full of LARGE FLAILING LIGHTS.

tldr; l2p nub

On a side note- Bosses like Rictus REAAAAAAALLLY need to be fixed. I can spend 30 minutes dying to this buggy prick. Invisible AOEs, chain pulls, double AOEs...

I've had him drop an AOE on me (tanking) and I run out. He pulls everyone, slows them, ground pounds, pulls them, and ground pounds. That 9/10 times wipes everyone not the tank. Rictus is not an encounter of skill, it's 80%+ luck. He needs a cool down on the pull of at least 10 seconds and about 8 seconds on the AOE smash because if he does either consecutively, someone WILL die and it's unavoidable.
    offtopic, but ever since i started tanking him away from his room and down the platform, with 4 adds (circle room, then a lower path) and constantly kite him around preventing ground aoe on tank+pull simultaneously, you'll realize it isnt 80% luck based anymore and probably 15-20% at that point. Being rogue tank makes it easy to move him around as well

Quote Originally Posted by opaque View Post
    It is a shame that they nerfed his 1.0 incarnation.
    I agree, it was more rewarding.

For OP, this might help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9jZx...el_video_title

I have to agree, this fight is a nice addition to GSB, there is hardly zero mechanics that are confusing or random...you control when the devastating bombs happen and really control everything about the fight. That being said, if you constantly have people dying, getting hit by wisps, blown up and things of that sort. This really is a "******" check of the instance. If you have people who can not get out of things on the ground, you will never kill it.

Try adjusting your video settings like others have said, if you lag too much, then get a better ISP and if that is not a possibility, then
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

Shadowlander

Arrow

Coming back to this, despite that most of you disagree with my OP I do feel that you are right.

I think some of you rebuked mainly on my suggestion to 'adjust' the fight, which was out of character, for myself. The term was far to broad, and inferred to completely nerf the encounter.

Ideally, though, the 'RNG death' or invisible graphic bugs do need to be fixed. This is something several members of my raid were suffering from, at times a whole group would get caught out and we really aren't that bad.

If that means that the fight needs to be retuned elsewhere to keep it challenging, I'm up for that. But unavoidable (and unintended) kill mechanics should not exist, as they are very frustrating for those on the receiving end.

I thank those of you that added constructive suggestions, which we will try to use to improve our performance, and I will also post the video linked by Gromph on our forums, while we already have a longer video, this one is far more concise, if a bit quiet, and hopefully the guild will be more inclined to actually watch it

Rift Disciple

The "circle" isnt there but the bomb is. So I can still argue that if youre not paying attention and watching tv while pressing 111112 then yes you will get hit by bombs. I melee this fight and I am always watching my feet or others around me for a ungraphic bomb. you can see the barrel so im not buying it as a excuse to wipe. need to be fixed? yes reason for a wipe is different. Time stuff better you know when everything is coming if you have wiped to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast