+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holy Hylas

Rift Disciple

Default Holy Hylas

I am a raid leader. We have been building our raid over the last few weeks. By now everyone is hit/focus capped and we are marching through GSB. Got Duke easy, worked for several hours on Johlen but finally dropped him, then killed Oracle.

Last night we got to Hylas and it was like we hit a brick wall. The YouTube vids out there show Duke being burned down, before Johlen even spawned and Johlen at like 25% health before Oracle. We were not even close to that. We killed Duke just before Oracle spawned.

At that point the fight gets painful. The videos make the soul fracture healing requirements seem trivial. They are not. Fracture combine with oracles aoe flat one shot s few of our lower HP players.

We were stacking the archon 10% spell. Perhaps there is some way to position oracle to minimize her aoe damage? Please help the fight just seemed out of reach last night.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by mocktrial View Post
    I am a raid leader. We have been building our raid over the last few weeks. By now everyone is hit/focus capped and we are marching through GSB. Got Duke easy, worked for several hours on Johlen but finally dropped him, then killed Oracle.

Last night we got to Hylas and it was like we hit a brick wall. The YouTube vids out there show Duke being burned down, before Johlen even spawned and Johlen at like 25% health before Oracle. We were not even close to that. We killed Duke just before Oracle spawned.

At that point the fight gets painful. The videos make the soul fracture healing requirements seem trivial. They are not. Fracture combine with oracles aoe flat one shot s few of our lower HP players.

We were stacking the archon 10% spell. Perhaps there is some way to position oracle to minimize her aoe damage? Please help the fight just seemed out of reach last night.
    Get better DPS.

Get better healers.

Get better resistance gear on people with low HP pools (+27 life resist rune on chest + shoulders for example). Use planar protection (+30 resistance for all raid members). Maybe suggest that people with lower HP pools even go so far as to make a life resistance (and/or endurance) planar focus - I know that I, as a cleric, made a life one and a death one in preparation for each of these instances.

Rift Disciple

So hylas gets a damage buff if his adds are within a certain distance?

Champion

So hylas gets a damage buff if his adds are within a certain distance?
    Yes.

Also, due to RNG you will sometimes have deaths no matter how well geared and skilled your players are. Every now and then Hylas and the Oracle will decide to sync up and you're going to lose at least one person if that happens - no DPS has the heath to live through Soul Fracture + Spirtual Wrath + Cottontailed right before a landmine spawn on them. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and you'll get used to it.

That being said, once everyone gets used to the timing on the fight it's not all that bad, but when you first start in on him the damage seems pretty overwhelming.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Flarestar View Post
    Yes.

Also, due to RNG you will sometimes have deaths no matter how well geared and skilled your players are. Every now and then Hylas and the Oracle will decide to sync up and you're going to lose at least one person if that happens - no DPS has the heath to live through Soul Fracture + Spirtual Wrath + Cottontailed right before a landmine spawn on them. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and you'll get used to it.

That being said, once everyone gets used to the timing on the fight it's not all that bad, but when you first start in on him the damage seems pretty overwhelming.
    Wrong. If you get life resistance gear (Fun fact: Sacrificing 100 dps is worth it, if it makes you survive) then you can easily survive soul fracture + spiritual wrath with over 1k left - and between these and a landmine your healers have plenty of time to heal you (even if only once, which is enough).

So that's an instance of how being well-geared, and having skilled healers can save you.

Please don't make sweeping statements about "no matter how geared or skilled you are, you'll die sometimes" if you clearly don't have the gear, NOR have skilled players.

Rift Disciple

What is skill though I mean. There are good players and there are all stars. We aren't trying to be all-stars. They killed Greenscales s month ago. My guys regularly clear all t2s on a daily basis with minimal difficulty. That should be sufficient skill for a t1 raid.

O am assuming GSB AND ROS will get nerfed to give us average joes A chance. Hylas feels a bit overturned to the average gulld maybe but only by 10-15% or so though. You want that feeling of "with some practice we can do this" instead of getting rickrolled without ever being in the fight.
    Last edited by mocktrial; 05-03-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Plane Touched

We aren't trying to be all-stars.
    Then you're doing it wrong.

Don't aim to be average. That's a lesson in life for you.

Again, tips:

Get Blazing Life Resistance x2 on people that are dying regularly. +27 life resistance x2, and the runes are really cheap to make (and you don't lose out on much by changing your chest/shoulder rune anyway).

Use Planar Protection.

If people are still dying, make them use either endurance flasks, or life resistance flasks.

If people are STILL dying, make them get a planar focus full of life essences (for resistance).

If people are STILL dying, kick them (or the healer that was meant to be healing them) from your raid group and replace them.

Mark your healers, and have them spread out (especially after you kill the adds and beyond), so that they don't all get turned into critters at once (= wipe).

Use bloodlust at the start of the fight, then it will be available again in the final phase.
    Last edited by FatChocobo; 05-03-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Rift Disciple

Thanks for the tips we will try to grab some runes.

Coulda done without the 'life advice"

Plane Touched

Thanks for the tips we will try to grab some runes.

Coulda done without the 'life advice"
    Oh yeah, just in case you didn't know, you get the recipe from the "Students of the Vale" (I think) planar vendor behind crafting area in Meridian (not sure about Sanctum), and you need to be honoured with them.

This happened to my guild at first. Recruiting new people and splintering then merging with another guild aside, I'll go into tactics.

For Soul Fracture, Archon's Power Drain will reduce the dmg by 10%, and a Reaver's Infestation will it by 35% every minute (or 2 I can't remember). 1 archon can power drain every soul fracture. The initial soul fractures should hit for less than 3800 which really helps.

Life resist. This **** adds up quick, and it realllllly helps. Currently, I have 3 lesser life planar essences. Raid buffed and with the planar protection buff I think I have around ~110 life resist which takes off 15% dmg from all life damage. This is pretty huge for the whole GS zone.

People can easily get gibbed with oracles aoe lifebolts right after a hylas soul fracture. Yes it's kind of poor design, but killing her before Infiltrator will only see a few people die at most. Or if you're still having people get hit by bombs, kill Infiltrator first, then Oracle.

Hope this helps.
    Brynx <Myth> Mage of Seastone

Soulwalker

Just try to time the AE Heals, and take enough AE healers with you.
    If you want an easy gimmicky way, time Infestation of Reavers with the AE's.

Make your entire raid stock up on Endurance...an extra 600 HP per person makes Soul Fracture an epic joke.
    Old school raid

pvp

Rift Master

Default Rune

As for endurance, every single one of us gets a special gift from Trion that you attach to your main hand good for 60 mins that boosts our Endurance

Just curious on your healer comp of your raid, because that will really make or break the fight.

You really only need 1 single target focused healer for the tank on Hylas. After that chloro, and sent/justi clerics are the best for the job. Make sure they have good spacing so they dont get squireled and can hit a good amount of raid members.
    9/9

Rift Disciple

Last night we had

2 chloro, 1 bard, and 3 sent clerics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast