+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fml pugs cant dps

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    You bottom a lot?
    I get the impression he likes it on bottom. Probably a "catcher" if you know what I mean.

Shadowlander

It's generally known among good MMO players that at LEAST 90% of the general population of player are incompetent.

However that being said I think it's pretty much your fault, TC, because you should know this statistic and if you want a good group, either keep asking the small amount of good players you know, or use guild groups. If you pug you should already know 9/10 times it's going to suck.

When I pug, I always end up having to explain every fight to people, show them the easy strats and shortcuts, etc. It gets really old sometimes but it's not their fault I chose to pug that run, it's mine. Basically, if you choose to play with the bad players (most of them) then you need to live with the results.

And to most of you people, I would ask that you please look up your class and read about the optimal specs. Oh and save your plat and buy an epic weapon off the AH if you can. The weapon is the biggest piece of gear that affects your DPS.

I rolled on spirit totem from xKB for my rogue for when I bard and my focus has heal procs on it... but, when I rolled need, I asked if the healer wanted it, and he said he had it.

However, that bard was obviously an idiot as rogues gain nothing from spell power, healing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SigNu View Post
    I tent to agree with the OP that some puggers just suck at life. I parsed last night's AP ex and CC ex runs. I chloro MH'ed both runs and DPS for me was around 300 (HPS ~ 600). The "DPS" mage was only at 375ish DPS. I told him that he should probably keep running T1s until he can pull better numbers. We essentially 3-manned AP and had to drag along a worthless mage and bard. At least with the bard we got his buffs, but he was equally as bad. OH! and the bard rolled need for the Gob of Cystallised Blodd (healer trinket). Good thing I beat him in the Need roll. I didnt heal him the rest of the dungeon.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

I think that estimate is a bit low and applies to humanity as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkpunch View Post
    It's generally known among good MMO players that at LEAST 90% of the general population of player are incompetent.

However that being said I think it's pretty much your fault, TC, because you should know this statistic and if you want a good group, either keep asking the small amount of good players you know, or use guild groups. If you pug you should already know 9/10 times it's going to suck.

When I pug, I always end up having to explain every fight to people, show them the easy strats and shortcuts, etc. It gets really old sometimes but it's not their fault I chose to pug that run, it's mine. Basically, if you choose to play with the bad players (most of them) then you need to live with the results.

And to most of you people, I would ask that you please look up your class and read about the optimal specs. Oh and save your plat and buy an epic weapon off the AH if you can. The weapon is the biggest piece of gear that affects your DPS.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Viz Shady View Post
    I get the impression he likes it on bottom. Probably a "catcher" if you know what I mean.
    Glad to see you went above & beyond with the thought process of that comeback. Now go bake a loaf of fail
    Redbull is the elixir of the mind

PuG players = players who aren't geared or spec'd correctly.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. I had the same experience and joining a guild solved 95% of the PuG problems. Guilds can't fix alcoholics though until you have enough evidence to gkick them.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkpunch View Post

This.

I have been the highest DPS before as Chloro/Lock on some fights. That should, quite literally, never happen. But it did. Most people just have no idea how to play at all.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stabsy View Post
    Out of interest how long do you stick with groups where your undergeared tank dies every other trash pull? Or is it just tanks and healers who have to not be jerks and help people?
    Pretty much this, is it really too much to ask for a minimum level of competence?

If the tank cant hold agro and the healer cant keep anyone alive, theres something wrong with their build or they arent using their skills properly. Same for dps, gear is not an issue assuming you have enough hit/focus.

It's a very large generalization going on. Just saying that most pug people suck is not accurate. There are so many factors in play right now. There's gear, human skill, soul issues, soul builds, priority on what the person wants to do....it's just too much to say, "oh, they pretty much all suck." The reality is, if you are creating pug groups, you've already signed up for this. If you a nice consistent group for dungeons, that's pretty much what a guild is for. Go join one and try to get a solid group of peeps to do dungeons with. There's a friend list too for that can be used. You can't pug and then ***** about randomness.

I rarely pug because I love my guild and we try to do things together. When I do pull in a pug to fill in a 5th spot, it would be nice to have someone good, but I take the first person who responds and hope for the best. If they truly suck, I just won't take them next time.
    It is only the dead who have seen the end of war. - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    Guilds can't fix alcoholics though until you have enough evidence to gkick them.
    What do you have against people boozing? I tank drunk 90% of the time on weekends. Drunk, T1 runs to help gear out fresh guild 50s are hilarious.

Having your buddy rogue incriminate the new guy/new guy's pet is always a barrel of laughs.
    Last edited by Carolius; 05-03-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Ascendant

join a guild of like minded players with reasonable skill. group together, be on vent, have fun. group again and find you are better because of past experience. group a lot and kick ***!

Default Communication and expectations

I agree with OP most of the time if we're trying to clear a T2 dungeon. If we're doing xCC or xDSM, then god help us if we don't have people who haven't tried ONCE in this game to optimize their performance in order to see further content.

However, it's about communication and community in MMOs. You need to communicate your hardcore/casual expectations to the community and find like minded people to play with. Nobody who justs want to play for fun, wants to play with a ball-hog. And conversely, nobody who wants to win the championship, wants to play with somebody who doesn't care. It's safe to say that this transfers over to the digital realm, maybe. The OP is harsh with how he/she wishes to communicate those expectations, but is NOT wrong to expect certain performance in a certain aspect of the game.

(Spamming to find those like minded people to join a PuG is sometimes frustrating. It's a trade off though, get a group that'll take 2 hours or not get a group at all.)

There exists feedback about your performance innately built into the game. If you're having lots of trouble with certain encounters, and the instances you're doing are taking a substantial amount of time, you probably shouldn't try and climb the next rung on the difficulty ladder.

There are people who'll help you up the ladder and there are people who are reaching out their hand for help. The people in the wrong are those who are dead weight and expect to piggy back up that ladder and those who ignore those below them.

Plane Touched

One thing about parsers is that they are a guideline ONLY as they count every single second of combat, if you are immobilized or are repositioning it decreases your DPS. Its hell on melee when they have to continually reposition in some fights.

I get just over 200 dps on some fights Riftblade/Paragon but then fights that don't require anywhere near as much movement I can hit 400+ DPS.

On AoE packs I can do up to 1000 DPS, so the parser is a guideline tool not the end all be all, the people that completely rely on parsers have some form of OCD Its the major reason I quit WoW, damage meters are not foolproof, they are not accurate. They are calculators all they see is that you're doing 0 DPS because your moving and isn't intelligently recognizing the situation that you have to move or are stunned/feared
    Last edited by Lightbane; 05-03-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    I was bored and decided to do the KB daily as DPS with my T2 gear and raid spec. The group was all fresh 50s except for the fairly epic'd tank. I figured things would be ok and I'd speed things up and get some fast plaqs. Well, every pull, tank lost aggro to me. Some pulls, he even lost aggro to the healer. I could usually CC in time and chain stun until he could react, but it was all messy. Finally I told him let me tank or I'm out (rest of group was tired of him too). Sueng goes down no problem and we move on to the big lizard.

At this point, they start linking pulls and aggroing pats and just being all around fail. T2 tank gear wont save you from 15 mobs with a green healer. I just left because I didn't feel like wiping.
    I often help guildies getting their first t1 gear, as a mage I've found that (with t2 or better gear) if you go full dps the tank wont get a chance to keep aggro - first static discharge burn and you get the mob on your teeth, even waiting a lot for a solid aggro lock.
    if you go full chloro you are just wasting most of your heals in overhealing and the tank has so little health/res buffer that you cant switch to cleanse some other in the group and switch back, he has an high chance of dying just for a missed gcd of heals :-\
    after a few tries I've found that my "troll" spec wich I use sometimes in pvp - 66 pyro, 22 chloro, works best - you'll do t1 level dps, you help a bit with heals (I run two healing greater essences and wolf head trinket so even the minimal heals from pyro spells proc those), still have flowrish and bloom for "oh shat" moments and help with cleanses.
    and you can pop gos if aggro get wobbly
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Plane Touched

hmmm don't you mean 44 pyro/22 chloro? lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast