+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LFD Tool and low pop servers

Default LFD Tool and low pop servers

I think the upcoming LFD tool will be great. It would be nice if the tool first tried to match you with a group from your own shard. If that is not possible, then it should try cross realm. If the tool is not cross shard at all, then I don't think it will help the low population shards.

Shadowlander

That makes good sense. It would also be very helpful for people leveling chars too. I don't feel like spending hours trying to find a group when I'll make so much more exp just questing/etc..

I would like dungeons to be an option and the OP has a good idea.

But doesn't that just turn into a band-aid solution for low server population?

Personally, if they have any critically low pop servers, they just need to merge. Painful at first, but better in the long-run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezer View Post

Personally, if they have any critically low pop servers, they just need to merge. Painful at first, but better in the long-run.
    While this solution wouldn't help low pop servers deal with low invasion rates, almost no help when invasions do happen, and other open world type events, it would at least help greatly with low pop dungeon rates. I've already abandoned a full set of leveled toons because the shard I was on just flat out died. I couldn't find an instance any time of the day, Meridian was borderline empty and the AH had almost nothing on it (literally 5 chain chest pieces total, ranging levels 1-50. 5. 7 totems on all of AH. ON A WEEKEND!). I would be more willing to play on those characters if I was at least allowed to do instances.

Shadowlander

He's right. Why not fix the problem at its source?
    Sad to see this game is repeating Warhammer's same mistake, waiting too long to merge lowest population servers. When they finally did, it was too late; players from low population servers had already moved on.

If you are bored of your low population shard please help us support this thread, as Trion is closing all others server transfer/merge related threads:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ansfers/page15

Be warned though, Fanboys from high populated shards will bash you for asking to merge lowest population servers, telling you to reroll if you're not happy. Sorry but no, some people have jobs and responsibilities. For them going throught the same 200 hours process again is not an option. Believe it or not, these peoples will eventually quit out of boredom instead of rerolling. If you are on a high population server, you don't belong in those threads. Instead, why dont you reroll yourself on a low pop shard and report us how fun it is to play by yourself ?

As it is, it took me 3 days to find a reg IT group, and it involved me respecing 2 times and having to 4 man it. Cross shard is something that is really important, and I have no doubt it will end up added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Plane Walker

The answer is simple: Make a little checkbox that you can choose to make your LFD tool "cross shard" or not.

Or, perhaps make it so that if you're in queue for X minutes, then it switches to cross shard.

Either way, I agree that a same-shard-LFD tool isn't really going to help the low population servers. Those few that will actually PUG in the first place are the ones you'll find chatting in channels asking for people. No, the only way to make PUG'ing work is to put the system in place with enough population to "fund" it, then make incentives for folks to actually use it. (Otherwise, most players will continue to play groups within their own guild/friendlist.)

Soulwalker

I think, even on a low-pop server, it still shouldn't take too long to find a group on a same-shard lfg tool. I mean, at this moment, most people on those servers arent even bothered to get a group together for the reasons you say. But when you're questing and just stand in queue in the tool (and guess what, ur not the only one) groups get together a lot quicker than now (spamming the trade/zone/level chat).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by SmartBartje View Post
    I think, even on a low-pop server, it still shouldn't take too long to find a group on a same-shard lfg tool.
    We'll see, but I'm worried it won't be enought.
    Same-shard tool didn't work in WoW. The LFG tool only worked when they made it cross-shards.
    Yes, the tools will quickly find 3 dps and match you guys, but then the match will still not be completed until it finds a tank + a healer, and on low population shards, those are the one that can take long to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelorean View Post
    The answer is simple: Make a little checkbox that you can choose to make your LFD tool "cross shard" or not.

Or, perhaps make it so that if you're in queue for X minutes, then it switches to cross shard.

Either way, I agree that a same-shard-LFD tool isn't really going to help the low population servers. Those few that will actually PUG in the first place are the ones you'll find chatting in channels asking for people. No, the only way to make PUG'ing work is to put the system in place with enough population to "fund" it, then make incentives for folks to actually use it. (Otherwise, most players will continue to play groups within their own guild/friendlist.)
    I agree. Having the option to pick single shard/cross-server, or having a threshold for Q time or people in Q before it goes cross-server Q.
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    http://forumwatch.riftideas.com/ *Credit to Meritt*
    Ever heard of Mumble? It's like Vent & Skype had a kid!

Shadowlander

For all the howling and moaning folks do about how cross-shard finders will destroy a server's community, they're awfully quick to suggest the destruction of two separate communities altogether in the form of a merger.

Not that I disagree with the idea that server mergers are an important tool, but it just seems odd to me.

Plane Touched

You can't have a community with no people to form one, if people don't talk there is no community, if they merge low pop servers together there will be at least enough people to actually have conversations and actually form a community.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by SmartBartje View Post
    I think, even on a low-pop server, it still shouldn't take too long to find a group on a same-shard lfg tool. I mean, at this moment, most people on those servers arent even bothered to get a group together for the reasons you say. But when you're questing and just stand in queue in the tool (and guess what, ur not the only one) groups get together a lot quicker than now (spamming the trade/zone/level chat).
    they will change almost nothing, the LFG on the same shard dont work on low server population. i was myself on wow when they tried this, its was a instant failure or almost on my server, that has changed absolutely NOTHING. its was always the same prob people were not even able to queue becuz lack of people, at least, if you do it corss shard, you sure to have a grp becuz you are in a queue with 4-5-6-7-8shards, so no cross shard=give nothing. or almost......

im totally up for a merge, but actually trion dont care so since 4-5days i spam 30 minutes the channel fora dungeon and leave because i never got one, ooo guess the problem? LF1M XXX(dungeon) Tank....... or heal even

AND NO im full of friend list, so dont say me be social or whatever, becuz im already(known to be a excellent player and gentleman on the server)
    Last edited by rugglee; 05-04-2011 at 09:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread