+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: River of Souls Trash Makes Me Want to Cancel My Account

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default River of Souls Trash Makes Me Want to Cancel My Account

How do you design an instance where the main challenge is attempting to get a trash pull without aggroing other trash?

How do you design an instance with trash packed so tightly that getting pulls solo is nearly impossible, and then have patrols moving between groups whose only purpose is to link multiple pulls together?

How do you design an instance with tightly-packed trash that has AOE knockbacks apparently designed for the sole purpose of knocking people into other packs of trash?

How do you design an instance where trash mobs have unavoidable "one shot" mechanics on groups of people, so that when trash packs inevitably link or are pulled by tanks being knocked back, the fights become unwinnable?

I'm utterly astounded at what a horribly designed instance this is. There is no constructive criticism to be given because this instance is absolutely not fun. The boss fights are interesting and challenging, but there is so much ****ing trash that the instance is a giant piece of crap.

I am not the type to threaten to cancel my account lightly, but this trash is a ****ing nightmare and something needs to be done. Remove at least 50% of the trash, and you might have a viable instance. I honestly don't even understand how this instance made it out of whatever form of testing you do. Doesn't someone at some point say "hey guys, good job on the instance, but it sucks." You need to hire someone who isn't a damn yes man.

Okay back to clearing trash in what is quickly becoming a job, instead of a game to me.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 05-01-2011 at 04:39 PM.

It's not that bad. Perhaps you shouldn't raid.

General of Telara I Fear Kittens's Avatar

saps ans stuns are your friend
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall piss you off." Norse Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When it's ready...... You wouldn't want it released before it was ready, right? And you wouldn't want us to hold it back after it was ready, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollolololol View Post
    I am honored to have made your /ignore list

It's really not that bad...Honestly.
    Old school raid

pvp

Quote Originally Posted by 1pH34R|\|00|\|3 View Post
    saps ans stuns are your friend
    Yup, Sap and Polymorph makes 90% of pulls single pulls here.

1 mage can aoe mez them all, then poly one when the mez breaks and fear the other one indefinitely. On a 3 npc pull, 1 mage can take care of everything.... and 1 tank can tank 2-3 mobs easily on those 4-5man pulls. We cleared all the trash with 10 people trying to get weapon drops and it was annoying on SOME pulls, but most of it was rediculously easy with 1 mage CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    How do you design an instance where the main challenge is attempting to get a trash pull without aggroing other trash?

How do you design an instance with trash packed so tightly that getting pulls solo is nearly impossible, and then have patrols moving between groups whose only purpose is to link multiple pulls together?

How do you design an instance with tightly-packed trash that has AOE knockbacks apparently designed for the sole purpose of knocking people into other packs of trash?

How do you design an instance where trash mobs have unavoidable "one shot" mechanics on groups of people, so that when trash packs inevitably link or are pulled by tanks being knocked back, the fights become unwinnable?

I'm utterly astounded at what a horribly designed instance this is. There is no constructive criticism to be given because this instance is absolutely not fun. The boss fights are interesting and challenging, but there is so much ****ing trash that the instance is a giant piece of crap.

I am not the type to threaten to cancel my account lightly, but this trash is a ****ing nightmare and something needs to be done. Remove at least 50% of the trash, and you might have a viable instance. I honestly don't even understand how this instance made it out of whatever form of testing you do. Doesn't someone at some point say "hey guys, good job on the instance, but it sucks." You need to hire someone who isn't a damn yes man.

Okay back to clearing trash in what is quickly becoming a job, instead of a game to me.
    L2P...
    You are crying that the trash is too hard? Are you serious? /lol

l2p again

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post

You should have about 5 of every class in a raid. If you are having that much trouble pulling just have 3 of your mages put 0 point in dom for the trash and triple squirrle pull and triple sap then all 6 of the things aren't doing anything at all and if the 2nd group comes just kill it first and if it doesn't, then break your CC. This is a super extreeme example as most groups in there are only 4 with couple groups of 5 but when you are in a raid where 10 people have endless cc and you can't deal with 4 mobs bringing 2-3 others with them.... I mean really.
    Last edited by Fluffycalico; 05-02-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Rift Master

The trash is doable once you got the hang of it.
    But it is still annoying and there is soooo much of it

We don't even get random drops, which is pretty sad considering our warriors are still running around with weapons from Runic Desent because nothing else ever drops from them.
    Lots of cleric tank stuff from foci and bosses, though... why would we ever need cleric tank stuff to gear 4 or 5 tank clerics?!

CC helps manage the trash, but they really went overboard with the trash here. And CC adds to the already considerable time it takes to clear the trash. There is much too much of it.

I far prefer the way they did it in GSB. A handful of pulls before each boss, nicely paced. In RoS the pacing is off, and the trash is heavily frontloaded. By the time we're done with it and ready to do an actual boss fight -- I refuse to count foci here as boss fights -- I for one am feeling rather exhausted.

I dearly hope in future raids they don't frontload the trash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rofltehcat View Post
    We don't even get random drops, which is pretty sad considering our warriors are still running around with weapons from Runic Desent because nothing else ever drops from them.
    ?!
    Everytime you kill greenscale someone gets the quest item and can go get a new weapon...
    But yes really nice ones don't drop much but even that spear from the quest is better than the RD weapons.

Champion

Everything about RoS, from the trash to the boss designs, screams "We pushed this out in a hurry because people slaughtered GSB way faster than we expected."

Weird itemization, absurd amounts of trash with abilities that are more deadly than some of the bosses so far, etc. It's not that it's not doable, it's that it's pointlessly painful.
    • NPCs with Titan Strike that hits a 15 yard cone in front of them
    • Patrolling trash that de-links, so you have one NPC not even in draw distance of the rest of his pack, but the entire pack still aggros, usually bringing another pack with them
    • Drakes that have no seeming link to which pack they're with and like to stay outside of grab range hovering and AOEing at the raid
    • Spell Theft <-- seriously, this ability is ******ed and does nothing but make you kill slower.
    • Archers that don't have a normal threat list and have actually one shotted clothies on a lucky crit

It's pretty clearly a zone designed to slow progression via trash. The bosses themselves aren't that hard, outside of everything being one giant dps check. And the trash is certainly killable - crowd control makes it entirely manageable. But as far as overall design and balance goes it's pretty piss-poor. I'm really hoping that they delay Hammerknell as long as it takes to actually do it right this time around.

Plane Walker

Drakes are single pulls.
    Spell theft? Try casting instants and it is negated.
    Archers have threat. They have this thing kinda like in WoW, called Multi-shot.
    I have been Crit-1shot from poly in GSB, nerd please.

The trash shouldn't be hard. People make it hard. This is not even close to the most intensive trash in any game I've played. People die a lot because they don't pay attention.

Prophet of Telara

We are by no means a top guild (only 2 bosses down in RoS). However, minus the packs with the 400k+ mobs and the 2 200k+ mobs or so. Every trash pack can be AOE'd down pretty quickly. (even then we do it every now and then but tank damage is kind of spikey for those mobs)

Taking time to mark, pull, sap, blah blah really takes a lot of time and made our first two weeks in there...painfullly long.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Rift Disciple

Sounds like some people would like a Zone in the form of a small room with a chest inside they can zone into once every 3 days for their phat lewtz.

We used to pull tightly packed mobs in EQ with a bunch of coordinated Monks to our raids...
    I would say cancel now and save yourself all that trouble...

Just lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast