+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expert Rift timers, why?

Rift Disciple

Default Expert Rift timers, why?

A longshot that Trion will look at this but maybe it's worth a shot.

So last night me and four friends decided to try and do the expert daily rift. Took us a while to find a good spot in Stillmoor as we wanted to try and do it with just 5 of us, and not the whole zone zerging it. We setup, wiped on one of the first boss guys ( we went in blind, not knowing anything about the fight). So we were having fun, wiped a few times. Then got to the boss that pulls group members in, and we couldn't seem to figure out his mechanics exactly. People weren't running away far enough I guess and his aggro was going crazy all over. So we spent a couple minutes trying to look up a boss strat, and weren't having much luck. Guildmates finally told us a suggested strat and we went to go pull him and the rift despawned. So we lose all 5 malformed souls and we get zip.

Is it the end of the world? No, but it is kind of annoying to gather up 5 souls, find a secluded place where you can do the rift, then have it despawn and your time is wasted. Sure we could have read strats ahead of time, brought 20 people, and zerged the heck out of it. But what fun would that be?

Why not make the rift despawn, but refund your malformed souls in the process? I'd like to try and do the raid rifts at some point and learn those, but it's going to be really stupid if we're trying to learn them only to have them despawn if we don't succeed in time. Getting enough corrupted souls takes long enough as it is, unless your guild is pooling them and running them all on one day. Even then, your taking along 20 people which boils down to zerging the rift, which takes all the fun out of it.

Champion

An expert (or any) rift will despawn if there's no activity for a period of time. Generally if the expert goes 10-15 minutes without anything happening it will close. As far as I'm aware if you get back to fighting, the timer resets. It does make sense that the rift closes if it is deemed abandoned, and 15 minutes is pretty fair.

Rift Disciple

As far as I know we weren't inactive for 15 minutes, maybe 5-10 minutes at the most while we tried to look up a strat. I guess if it shuts down in 10 minutes that seems rather quick, but something we can be aware of I guess.
    I don't forsee it happening to us a whole lot in the future, but it was definately frustrating just to go through all that effort only to have it close.
    Last edited by HolyHamster; 05-01-2011 at 01:33 AM.

As far as I know you have 15 min on every stage, and if it isn't timed the 15mins will refresh every time you kill a rift mob. If you hover over the rift in the minimap you can see how much time you have to kill something before the rift collapses. cheers and good luck.

Rift Disciple

If you have 15 minutes to get to the next stage before a rift closes, that seems kinda silly. Especially when you lose the mats if the rift despawns. Why punish a 5 man group for trying to learn a new encounter without doing a bunch of research on each mini boss before summoning the rift? I guess before we summon the next one that's what we'll have to do so we don't lose it bleh.

Like I said, not the end of the world, but it just seems like it could be made a little better to encourage people to actually do it with 5 people, rather than overrun it which is what I see most of the time.
    Last edited by HolyHamster; 05-01-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Rift Disciple

From what it sounds like you did the following:

1) Got a 5 man group together for a 5 man expert rift - This is a good start, where it went downhill will be laid out below.

2) This was your first expert rift, or at least the first one you opened yourself with your own group and materials. If you're not willing to lose your materials, don't go blindly into an encounter.

3) You didn't look anything at all up online about expert rift mechanics, the specific expert rift you were doing, or anything about what you were partaking in beforehand. Complaining about a mechanic that you didn't know about and that you didn't research before you engaged the rift doesn't make sense. You chose not to know anything about what you were doing. Complaining about something you didn't know is just going to invite comments such as "why didn't you take 5 minutes to look it up on the internet?".

4) You didn't even ask your guildmates about any of this and they provided you with a proper strategy. If you have information, use it. Sure learning is all well and good, but every rift anywhere in the game has a timer, this is pretty common knowledge. If they don't get sealed up in time, they do it themselves. This happens with raid rifts as well. Rifts are dynamic, not static. That means that over time, they change.

5) If the rifts simply despawned and you got your souls back, what risk are you really taking in using those souls? In anything, there should be proper risk//reward for deciding to take a specific action. When you open an expert or raid rift, the risk is that you lose your souls, while the reward (assuming you didn't fail) is the end chest and the planar rewards you get. If there's no risk at all for opening a rift, then you literally could reset the rift if you think you're about to fail, get refunded your souls, and go do another one. No risk, all reward.

The moral of the story is, if you want to do it the 'proper' way with only 5 people, you should know about what you're getting into before you attempt it.

What you did is kind of like skydiving but without an instructor. You have 2 ripcords to pull, knowing which one your parachute is and which one your release cord (takes the chute off your pack) is... well... should have had that instructor on your plane to inform you which one will save your life and which will cause you to plummet to your doom.

And for the record, you're one of the only MMO players who thinks wiping consistently to an easy encounter is 'fun'. The game doesn't punish you for only taking 5 people, it punishes you for being woefully unprepared.
    Last edited by KanyeWest; 05-01-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Rift Disciple

I said it wasn't -that- big of a deal, just annoying. Yeah we went in blind, because it's fun not knowing what certain bosses are going to do.

Again, we didn't look it up, because I chose not to. Would we have blown through the encounter had I looked it up? Sure. Some people enjoy, you know challenge and learning new things occasionally without having everything handed to them.

It's the same as a dungeon encounter imo, does a boss despawn if you don't down him? That's just it. The experts aren't even that great of a reward I would argue compared to dungeons anyway. But that's another argument.

For the record, comparing a game to skydiving is a really bad example heh. Anyway, last post in this thread.

+ Reply to Thread