+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loot Rolling Bug: You can have the highest need roll & still not get the item..

Ascendant

Default Loot Rolling Bug: You can have the highest need roll & still not get the item..

If 2 (and i guess 2 or more but the chances are even more slim) people tie on an item with the winning roll. The loot will automatically given to the person who rolled last

Ran into a rogue in an instance who need rolled on the AP BOE T2 Bow (he already had the AP BOE T2 Gun drop).. He didn't win the roll but rather tied the other rogue who really needed it.. But since he rolled last he got the item (and refused to reroll and called himself lucky)

Granted this doesn't happen often but a tie is not a win.. Ties should be forced to reroll, the item shouldn't be given to the person just cause they rolled last.
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

I believe the order people roll in is completely random.. so there are 2 separate rolls and the rogue did just get lucky.

I assume there's a second, hidden roll occurring behind the scenes when this happens. The game will just keep rolling until you come up with a winner. One instance of "the second person rolling wins" isn't something I would say is a bug without knowing more about how the game works internally.

Both times I lost a roll where I tied with someone I rolled first, so...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    I believe the order people roll in is completely random.. so there are 2 separate rolls and the rogue did just get lucky.
    Not after reading this thread. :]

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCheesy View Post
    Both times I lost a roll where I tied with someone I rolled first, so...
    Are you serious 2 times? :O
    So if you go ask who you vote for as president and the 2 first people answer Obama does that mean that 100% will vote for Obama? Damn thats nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dastey View Post
    Are you serious 2 times? :O
    So if you go ask who you vote for as president and the 2 first people answer Obama does that mean that 100% will vote for Obama? Damn thats nice
    The whole point of that comment was to disprove the idea that whoever rolled last gets the item in the case of a tie...

Well I suspect so anyway.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SammyBammy View Post
    The whole point of that comment was to disprove the idea that whoever rolled last gets the item in the case of a tie...

Well I suspect so anyway.
    Well maybe rolled last is the wrong way to put it..

The roll goes in group order when displayed (ie position 1-6, position 1-6 etc)

Basically when i meant rolled last i mean the last roll displayed by the system (which i guess is technically group order)..

so if position 5 & 6 in the group roll the same number (which would have won), position 6 gets it every time..

Also point being.. if there is an internal roll-off (which i doubt).. It should be displayed to the group.. not a silently hidden number..
    Last edited by LordOberon; 04-30-2011 at 06:00 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

It could be that the system just uses a much larger random number and rounds it to 0-100.
    So for example like a lot of random number generators it generates a number between 0 and 1 with about 5-100 number after the decimal. And it will just be multiplied by 100 and rounded to the closes integer to not spam the chat window. But it will take the whole generated number into consideration when giving the item to someone.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Well maybe rolled last is the wrong way to put it..

The roll goes in group order when displayed (ie position 1-6, position 1-6 etc)

Basically when i meant rolled last i mean the last roll displayed by the system (which i guess is technically group order)..

so if position 5 & 6 in the group roll the same number (which would have won), position 6 gets it every time..

Also point being.. if there is an internal roll-off (which i doubt).. It should be displayed to the group.. not a silently hidden number..
    This is nonsensical. The order you roll in is the order displayed by the system. I'm usually last to roll as I'm the groups runecrafter and as such pick up anything no one wants so regardless of my position in the group - I roll last. It's unfortunate that you lost your BoE item; but it was just unlucky - You're essentially just making up a bug to make you feel better about the reason you lost.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by sivlin View Post
    This is nonsensical. The order you roll in is the order displayed by the system. I'm usually last to roll as I'm the groups runecrafter and as such pick up anything no one wants so regardless of my position in the group - I roll last. It's unfortunate that you lost your BoE item; but it was just unlucky - You're essentially just making up a bug to make you feel better about the reason you lost.
    First of all. It wasn't me who lost. It was a guild member.

secondly the order that the rolls were displayed in exactly matched the order in the raid window (note we were in raid frames because its easier to heal). Chances of that happening are slim to nil.. And both the 2 people who rolled need had the EXACT same roll (78) yet it gave it to the 2nd person who rolled the 78.

If a person roll the highest number on an item and doesn't get it then it definitely is a bug. If an internal roll-off is done. Then it should be shown to the players to distinguish who won the roll-off. But it is NOT.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    If a person roll the highest number on an item and doesn't get it then it definitely is a bug. If an internal roll-off is done. Then it should be shown to the players to distinguish who won the roll-off. But it is NOT.
    It doesn't need to show the internal rolloff, since you're not competing with a game server. Just trust the computer. If you don't trust computers, then master loot it, and hope people trust you.

Like other games in the genre a second roll is done on ties, or the actual roll is not an integer roll.
    ie. his 78.965 beat the other guys 78.035.

You roll for the item normally.

If your roll is a tie with someone else the game does another roll behind the scenes and then awards the item based on that.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread