+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Agro/threat

Sword of Telara

Default Agro/threat

(from another post of mine)
    Am i the only nightblade constantly having agro issues? i spend a good bit of time working to better my DPS yet my GF raises a good point, its pointless if ive yet to find a tank who can hold agro off me!

i always get the whole "manage your threat better" (i have no threat reduction spells :-/) or "wait longer to start". my last rift raid (death) on the final boss i waited until the mob was 80% before even starting, by 58-60% i pulled agro and stopped attacking. i waited till 45% before attacking again and pulled agro again in the 20s. my DPS (by each person's time spent DPSing, not the encounter's duration) was around 1K while the 2nd and 3rd were in the 600s.

in instances when i give the tank a head start im fine on trash, but ive waited till 65% and still pulled agro on bosses.

my issues are with various warrior tanks and 1 riftstalker. am i missing something all together? are they bad? am i bad? any input would be helpful.

i currently have the greater essence that -supposedly- reduces threat and my MM (does 200ish less DPS) never has -any- agro issues.

edit: to add in:
    -im in T2 gear (all but a few pieces).
    -i use whetstones on raids (given ive never been to a true GSB or higher, mostly only rift raids).
    -i do the normal NB rotation
    -when im "waiting" i often /dance near the healers
    -my dancing is terrible
    i wanted to see if anyone has done testing with threat in this game. one big theory ive had on it is that it decays, meaning me waiting around for the tank to establish threat dosnt mean as much as i'd hope.

any ideas?

Your tanks are horse****.

I can hit 1.2k+ without the slightest bit of threat problems, and nightblades are known to do even higher (1.4k, 1.5k)

Sword of Telara

i was 1100 before i pulled off on the rift raid x.x;;

ive seen plenty of parses of tanks doing higher. i dont believe anyone on my server has killed even 1 boss in GSB, but the tanks appeared to be in T2 gear like me, i figured maybe tank threat scaled up and the tanks in those parses were geared out the wazoo.

ive thought the whole "its all them, it isnt me".

but after a certain point it leaves a poor rogue wondering .

so the 1K+ people dont have any special tricks/buffs/essences?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Seyon View Post
    so the 1K+ people dont have any special tricks/buffs/essences?
    I've never seen a tank that doesn't get agro pulled off of him if the dps starts at the start of the fight. We usually have to wait a few seconds. If that still isn't enough just do less dps until your tank gets better.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Your tanks are horse****.

I can hit 1.2k+ without the slightest bit of threat problems, and nightblades are known to do even higher (1.4k, 1.5k)
    Or maybe your tanks spec for threat instead of mitigation.

Rift Master

I think that for raid tanking, tanks should have points in Warlord up to Intercept at least. With that skill, he will use your aggro to boost his aggro, which means he will never have problems with aggro ever again.

rogue tanks are the supreme masters of single target threat,
    as for me i only have to work for threat when our stormcaller is pulling 1.6k-1.7k dps or when people do not focus the correct target

im currently playing a vk/reaver/pala mitigation spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhalfirim View Post
    I think that for raid tanking, tanks should have points in Warlord up to Intercept at least. With that skill, he will use your aggro to boost his aggro, which means he will never have problems with aggro ever again.
    No...

people should just l2p a tank should easily be able to hold agro without that at all times its really not that ffing hard
    Last edited by TyrLith; 04-27-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrLith View Post
    No...

people should just l2p a tank should easily be able to hold agro without that at all times its really not that ffing hard
    That IS learning to play. Learning a move that keeps threat more easily. What special magical tricks do you feel qualify as l2p if that doesn't?
    Guild Leader of Serenity on Bloodiron EU PvP
    I blog at http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stabsy View Post
    That IS learning to play. Learning a move that keeps threat more easily. What special magical tricks do you feel qualify as l2p if that doesn't?

not rerolling a subpar spec for 1 ability because you can not figure out how to hold threat with normal agro builders.

warlord = lackluster tank and halfdecent raid support

Quote Originally Posted by `xell View Post
    I've never seen a tank that doesn't get agro pulled off of him if the dps starts at the start of the fight. We usually have to wait a few seconds. If that still isn't enough just do less dps until your tank gets better.
    Never had any problems as Riftstalker, especially in single target, I actually usually encourage everyone to go all out from the very start. I do tend to loose aggro from SC/Ele's if they go all out aoe and there is more than 3 targets so I can't really build single target aggro on all of them (partly due to the fact that this doesn't have proper nameplates for all mobs arround you). I would love to see something, anything, that would allow us to measure threat on the target, because now it's just guessing which is ******ed.

yeah Seyon, there is nothing wrong with you for pulling off that DPS, it gets more and more pressure on the tank as you come up in the higher T2 geared people, dont know who said thisbefore but its just as simple as the Tank doesnt know or want to learn how to play. I have a crazy **** warrior in my guild who just loves do DPS and instantly that is (he dies around 100 time per raid due to threat) but even that can be countered.
    For me the answer is simple, I play VK Pala Warlord, and Intercept will solve all your worlds problems, even they invert it, I always play with my stormcaller buddies, having a fully geared Stormcaller instantly going into a group fight with Intercept.... nomnomnom for Tank threat I tell you, and I do the same with warriors.

I know I know all you tanks hate Warlord and one can discuss that til the end of time which is better and not, I heard that if you play reaver or other, they say like "count to 3 then you can unleash hell" which also work, a matter of taste, but if the Tank loses aggro in midfight like 10 seconds into the fight.... he should look over his specc absolutely, there is no such thing as doign too much DPS :P

Rea

we(3 tanks in my raid) let everyone go fulloutdps at the second we are pulling the mobs/bosses and never have problems keeping the aggro against up to 2000dps
    Quote Originally Posted by Delolith View Post
    A class loosing 1/4 of its DPS is certainly not a nerf

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rea View Post
    we(3 tanks in my raid) let everyone go fulloutdps at the second we are pulling the mobs/bosses and never have problems keeping the aggro against up to 2000dps
    how many sabs?

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by `xell View Post
    my last rift raid (death) on the final boss i waited until the mob was 80% before even starting, by 58-60% i pulled agro
    not the "start of the fight.."

to all else: the rogue tank does the best that -ive- seen, however it still isnt the best. ive never had a tank tell me "im giving you intercept" or noticed the buff. it seems like it would fix things if im reading it correctly (they would be taking 20% of my threat and adding it to themselves, making a 40% difference).

my old main tank who i havent grouped with in a while said his boss spec was a "hiding behind his shield" spec, focused more on survival than threat and i should learn to watch my agro -.-;; i'll see if any of his specs have that ability.

edit: it also sounds like, from another thread, SoD (one of my main attacks: http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/13872...ge-of-Darkness) might have a hidden threat modifier
    Last edited by Seyon; 04-27-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Rea

Quote Originally Posted by scfs123 View Post
    how many sabs?
    0, all gimpy assa/ranger/nb
    Quote Originally Posted by Delolith View Post
    A class loosing 1/4 of its DPS is certainly not a nerf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast