+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on Hylas

Plane Touched

Default Looking for advice on Hylas

We're starting Hylas and had a few tries on him tonight. We're having a problem : we can kill the duke before the oracle spawns, the first sould fracture is managable, but the second one always hits the raid for 5 to 6 k + dot effect, instead of around 4 K, and those 6K are WITH the archon and the reaver debuffs.
    Anyone has a clue to what we're doing wrong ?
    I must say, that we where only 17 for the fight, missing 3 dps, and some have suggested it could be a buff because we dont kill the adds fast enought. But atm, there is no proof, nor any sign it might truely be the case.
    We knew we could not down it at our first try with only 17, but i'm quite surprised that we get hit that hard by the AoE.

Soulwalker

We had the same problem. We did him on wednesday and then the aoe hit us for about 3.8 k, but now it started to hit his 4.8k and went up and up untill the moment is started to oneshot people......

The oracle has an AoE (Spiritual Wrath) she can throw out at the same time as soul fracture. And also, I could be totally wrong but the initial AoE from Soul Fracture is probably based on your %max HP. At around ~6.5k HP as a Chloro it definitely hits me for more than 4k every time, but I think the DoT is the same damage to all.
    Adaira-Faeblight

Psy
    Shadowlander

Soul fracture isn't % based. You need a lot of AOE healing, namely senticar healers. Senticar = combination Sentinel and Justicar spamming Doctrine of Loyalty after every fracture. Kill order should be Duke > Oracle > Infiltrator. Spread your heals so they don't all get sheeped when fracture comes.

All I can tell you is pay more attention and learn the fight better. You'll realize what you've been doing wrong very soon. If you can kill duke before oracle spawns you should have enough DPS to down him.
    Last edited by nand chan; 04-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Plane Touched

Thanks for the answers, but unfortunately, none seems to match what we're missing :-/
    It's a straight up 6K raid damage (counting the archon and reaver debuff), so it's not the oracle = prince combo. We dont have heal problem, as we always manage to heal through the first AoE.

Rift Master

One thing you need to look at is your passive raid healing. Early on in our raiding we were using our clerics completely wrong. Senticars are amazing for this fight make sure you have convictions when contagious cottontails spam and win when soul fracture is cast.

Our healing set up on last weeks one shot

2 senticars
    1 bard
    1 Warden (maybe)
    1 Sent heavy cleric
    1 cholro

first time we killed him we used another bard chaining verse of joy in the final phase is win.

Your DPS looks pretty good just something just something to note If Jolen is sub 30% I'd recommend you stay on him before swapping Aleria.

Now the answer of to your question the reason why your getting hit for 5-6k is because these adds buff Hylass. That's all I'm giving you... cough*range*cough

Enjoy the encounter, it has some cool mechanics.
    Last edited by Kublakan; 04-27-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Kublakan - 11/11 - Rogue
    Sig - was originally removed because it showed BOOBIES.
    LFGUILD BRO.

Plane Touched

Thanks
    Now i understand

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Soul fracture isn't % based. You need a lot of AOE healing, namely senticar healers. Senticar = combination Sentinel and Justicar spamming Doctrine of Loyalty after every fracture. Kill order should be Duke > Oracle > Infiltrator. Spread your heals so they don't all get sheeped when fracture comes.
    Thats the kill order if your dps isn't high. Most guilds that have GSB on clear can kill duke as infiltrator spawns and can have infiltrator to about 25% by the time oracle spawns so they just finish off infiltrator.

As for my only suggestion as to why the aoe might be hitting for more is 1.) do you use the guild resist buff? 2.) is the hylas tank also tanking an add (they buff each other within proximity of each other) 3.) how is everyones life resist?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Shanst View Post
    As for my only suggestion as to why the aoe might be hitting for more is 1.) do you use the guild resist buff? 2.) is the hylas tank also tanking an add (they buff each other within proximity of each other) 3.) how is everyones life resist?
    1) We do
    2) No, but we tank the Oracle too close to Hylas it seems
    3) Very bad. We're currently discussing about this. Some say it's mandatory, others say it's not necessary while helpfull.

We're a very casual guild. We have maybe 5 hardcore players that are full T2, majority is a mix T1-T2 and maybe 5 that are not even full T1.
    Those that are less likely to survive AoE are unfortunately also those that wont be able to farm for life resist gear.
    We dont know how to deal with this problem right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerathule View Post
    1) We do
    2) No, but we tank the Oracle too close to Hylas it seems
    3) Very bad. We're currently discussing about this. Some say it's mandatory, others say it's not necessary while helpfull.

We're a very casual guild. We have maybe 5 hardcore players that are full T2, majority is a mix T1-T2 and maybe 5 that are not even full T1.
    Those that are less likely to survive AoE are unfortunately also those that wont be able to farm for life resist gear.
    We dont know how to deal with this problem right now.
    There are Life Resist Runes you can get for Chest and Shoulders that give +27 Life Resist each. A lil goes a long way
    Wheeler
    Exiled Guild
    Roguey Extraordinaire of Sunrest

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    There are Life Resist Runes you can get for Chest and Shoulders that give +27 Life Resist each. A lil goes a long way
    We have that, but the cost is quite huge in planar powders ...
    Is it really something we should consider for the whole raid ?

Rift Disciple

if you decide to move any of Hylas's lieutenants near him, he will get a buff that will massively increase his damage. That could be your problem.

Is your bard keeping motif of tenacity up? Do you have Protect the flock constantly up?

We were downing hylas w/o Crippling infestation and it was nowhere near hitting 6k.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerathule View Post
    We have that, but the cost is quite huge in planar powders ...
    Is it really something we should consider for the whole raid ?
    Life resist really isn't necessary for Hylas.

Rift Master

What Cheesy said Life Resist is a waste imo.
    Kublakan - 11/11 - Rogue
    Sig - was originally removed because it showed BOOBIES.
    LFGUILD BRO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast