+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clearing Deepstrike Mines (Expert) for the first time.

Default Clearing Deepstrike Mines (Expert) for the first time.

Stats and tidbits from our guild's run tonight (our first full clear).

Group comp was Warrior tank, Cleric healer, Chloro, and two Rogues playing some combination of NB, Bard, and Marksman (Cliquot and I have very similar tastes for roguishness). If you've never run it on expert before, some of the things you are going to read here will not be for you if you are faint of heart.

In their current state, running with two Rogues as your DPS is *seriously* not for the faint of heart.

First pull was at 5:13.
    Plutonus was downed at 12:59. SEVEN AND A HALF hours (of which roughly one hour was spent on necessary AFK's and, most importantly a nice break to drink some whiskey and cheer over Vent after taking down Kaleida).

We went in not knowing what the second half of the dungeon looked like.

Four wipes on Gregori.
    One wipe on Bonehew.
    Eight wipes on Gatekeeper Kaleida.
    Clean kill on Dichrom.
    Seven wipes on Arcanis.
    Four more wipes on trash just between Arcanis and Plutonus.
    Damn near downed Plutonus first shot, then wiped and oh, what the hell, wiped again three more times before we downed him.

A grand total of 34 wipes.

Funny thing was, none of it was tedious. The entire place is challenging. Downing bosses like Kaleida requires razor sharp coordination and almost perfect play from everyone in the group (at least for a guild like ours which has yet to clear any raid content). There are skillchecks and gearchecks aplenty.

Nothing in Rift has ever felt as good as when we finally downed Kaleida - it was simply the best fight our guild has ever put together. And it was great because you HAVE to play it that way to progress! We had to pull out every stop, use every group comp available to us, and every damn skill on every hotbar.

Only sad part is that no expert dungeon will ever feel difficult ever again after making it through here.

Well, that and I didn't even SEE one freaking usable drop for me. Even that seems trivial... I feel like there should be a title or something for even seeing this place all the way through.

Our Chloro got the wickedly awesome healing trinket though, which should allow us to run higher damage comps through other dungeons from now on. Maybe we'll make up our six hours over the coming months.

Anyhow, just felt like sharing that with you. Further discussion of this epic dungeon crawl can go below.
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Soulwalker

Being a cleric I uaully run DSM with a bard instead of a chloro.

I prefer the buffs honestly.. it also gives the DPS a great boost.

Sword of Telara

oh wow, atleast your little bunch was determined!

my first xDSM only one person had been there before, after 3 hours we were at gatekeeper. we had been carrying a mage DPS (he was a good guy, but only beat the tank on dps half the time, rarely-if-ever beat the chloro) and ultimately people had to go.

2nd time i went in there with a few friends (at this point it was the only expert i haddent done) and we had 2 wipes the whole time (one on trash one on final boss) and beat it in 1 hour 45 min. i do have to agree that instance is fun. i would like to see more complex fights like those in the next teir of dungeons.

Congrats!

We attempted it for the first time a few nights ago... just to see how we did (we've only done AP previously... and that took hours - mainly because of the crystal boss). We 1-shot the first two bosses, the knockback guy took a couple of attempts... but that Gatekeeper is tough! We wiped about 10 times and called it... we didn't have the heal reduction and our Chloro was too stubborn to make a new spec (I'll have to get it sorted for next time ;) ).

We only wiped once on trash up til that point when the healer DC'd... with some more runs through the easier T2's I'm sure we'll be fine!

We must have wiped more on crystal bosses than any other expert boss put together! So once again, congrats!

Ascendant

We attempted it first time a couple days ago, took roughly 6ish hours knowing absolutely nothing about any of the fights. Group was warrior, cleric, chloro, rogue, rogue. Gatekeeper Kaleida took by far the longest out of any of the fights. Let's see if I can remember the exact number of tries each one took. Overseer Markus = 1 try, Gregori Krazlav = 3 tries, Bonehew 2 tries, Gatekeeper Kaleida around 12 tries. Dichron = 2 tries, Caretaker = 1 try, and Plutonus around 5 tries I think. We soul healed 3 times so deaths were over 30.

I have to agree with your assessment of Kaleida, it was a great feeling win and that fight is really tough especially as a healer, lots of moving and stressful times lol. We went back the next day and did it again only wiping to Gregori Krezlav and the rest were 1 shot, this was with 2 completely new dps too...warrior/chloro/cleric were the same from the night before. It gets a tad easier when some of the group is familiar =) It is my new favorite dungeon though I like the fights alot (except Gregori his fight is way too long and nothing fun about it, don't have to move or anything...stand there hit your main heal key for 15 minutes).
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 04-24-2011 at 08:35 AM.

We usually just stumble through DSM with only one or two wipes. The hardest boss to kill is Dichron since he randomly facecrits people for like 7k, which can lead to a wipe if RNG is unfavorable.

Other than that, it's a fairly easy dungeon if you know what you're doing. The only time you're gonna wipe often is if you're in it for the first time and have never run DM on either difficulty level before nor read anything about tactics.

The only factor stopping PUG trash from clearing it is that you have at least one nightblade to keep up fell blades on gatekeeper, and enough DPS to pass the DPS check on caretaker.

Also, downing Hylas or Greenscale feels much better than downing Gatekeeper since you actually need coordination - on gatekeeper the most you really need to do is switch to the healing crystals every now and then and occasionally step out of melee range when he casts fire blast, but other than that it's a button mashing tank and spank.
    Last edited by nand chan; 04-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Now try for Assisted Living. Which IMO for a single boss encounter hardest Achievement out of any Tier 1 or 2.

Nothing like tanking 9 elite mobs and a boss and seeing your health go from 11k to 2k almost every second. But it really was quite fun!

I'll agree though, DSM is my favorite instance. I mean it's a bit long trash wise but you get in a rhythm and it's not so bad. Also, griefing your guildies on the laser hallways (I personally recommend if somebody dies having a players pet tank a laser then move up to cast a res on the player. Release Pet and the player will res right into the laser and die again. Hilarity ensues)

When you said your group comp I immediately felt you had some issues on Arcanis (Specifically the 3rd crystal I'd assume). Then I saw amount of attempts you took. Minus Achievement he's an easy boss, unless your DPS is a bit low then he becomes incredibly hard. Kind of nice how they designed that fight.

The group I typically run with now is 3 Warriors, Cleric and a Bard. (minus the random swap out on a boss if somebody needed loot). It's silly how fast some things die in there.

I chuckle to myself when I see the Daily and people I've never seen their names before (and I'm pretty active in the guardian shatterbone community) in 50 chat are LFG DSM or LFM DSM. I just wish I was a GM and could watch those groups sometimes. ha.
    Last edited by Exphryl; 04-24-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

Shield of Telara

My group took 6.4 hours to do first run lol.

Warrior DPS, Tank, Cleric, Chloro, Rouge.

We went in not knowing anything and didn't want to. So we wanted to learn on our own for the exp.

By the time we got to plutonus, w we wiped on him for like an hour. It was like 430am.

We were to tired/stupid to think "Hey lets move closer to him so we have to move less to get to a wall" lmao.

but now with a good group it takes 1.5 hours max and is easy peazy lemon squeezy
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 04-24-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Pooshonmyshoos - 60 Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Imafkdisbich - 60 Warrior <Damaged PvPness>

Call me wickedly crazy, tell me to learn to play, slap my *** and ride me like a donkey, but isn't 6-7 HR T2 dungeon crawl a bit on the extreme side? How are casuals supposed to clear this content? Also, if an LFD tool is going in similar to WoW's how the HELL are pug groups from different servers who don't know each other and have ZERO synergy supposed to clear T2 instances?

T2 needs to be toned down, IMO, specifically AP, CC, and DSM.
    Last edited by Octavian2011; 04-24-2011 at 11:10 AM.

GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 RotP 4/4 HK 10/11
    Pvp rank 8 Rogue - Age of Aggression.
    www.resultgaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian2011 View Post
    Call me wickedly crazy, tell me to learn to play, slap my *** and ride me like a donkey, but isn't 6-7 HR T2 dungeon crawl a bit on the extreme side? How are casuals supposed to clear this content? Also, if an LFD tool is going in similar to WoW's how the HELL are pug groups from different servers who don't know each other and have ZERO synergy supposed to clear T2 instances?

I'm not going to tell you any of those things and call you names. But please PLEASE stop calling for nerfs to content that is being cleared already. It gets easier every single time. Also if you are worried about getting a bad PUg with the dungeon finder I recommend petitioning against them. I refuse to steal focus on this thread any further but I felt it very needed to express the fact that none of the dungeons you listed above need tuning. The more you do them the easier they become.

Regarding the OP:

DSM is my favorite expert by far. Can't wait to try and get rapid assault when the HP of mobs gets lowered.

T2's need to be tuned harder actually. I'm casual and I find them a bit too easy to be honest. This is just a case of l2p, not about time spent.

It's the best 5-man in terms of boss fights in my opinion, but the place is excessively long. Our fastest run has never been faster than an hour and that's with no breaks, minimal wipes and chain pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by Enokarda View Post
    I'm not going to tell you any of those things and call you names. But please PLEASE stop calling for nerfs to content that is being cleared already. It gets easier every single time. Also if you are worried about getting a bad PUg with the dungeon finder I recommend petitioning against them. I refuse to steal focus on this thread any further but I felt it very needed to express the fact that none of the dungeons you listed above need tuning. The more you do them the easier they become.

Regarding the OP:

DSM is my favorite expert by far. Can't wait to try and get rapid assault when the HP of mobs gets lowered.

DSM is alright, but it is the longest of the T2. Fae is long, but DSM just feels like a slog. It's not any harder than the other T2's, it just seems to take considerably longer, but I don't know if that's perception or reality. The boss difficulty is fine and for the most part and moderately interesting.

Personally, I like CC the best, followed by AP when neither are bugged. DD's also very good if you skip some of the trash at the beginning. It does appear that Scarn was heavily nerfed though, which was disappointing. I never did DD on normal either, so it was new to me at the time too. I also enjoy RD.

edit: As for the OP, I would think that double sap would make things go much more quickly despite wiping a few time. From what I hear, that's actually what you need to do the ridiculous speed run in there.
    Last edited by HighFive; 04-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian2011 View Post

Yah, LFD is gonna be bad times lol i expect to see many "QQ FIX THESE INSTANCES" threads come up when people get subpar groups.

Ascendant

First time in for all 5 we took in yesterday. Took us 3 hours.

warrior - tank (using mitigation tank build)
    warrior - melee dps
    cleric - heal, range dps
    mage - heal, range dps
    rogue - ranged, range+bard

the tank had good gear. don't go in with bad gear. you should do all other t2 comfortably with the tank before heading into dsm.

all of our dps had reasonable aoe options. all of our dps also were 600+ single capable. if you take 2 rogue as dps, make sure they have big sab dps option so they can aoe quick.

highly recommend flexibility to go "1,1.5, or 2" healers depending on the fight. as always it's also good to have range options for all classes. our warrior had a low dps range spec and was complaining on a few fights
    Last edited by ururu; 04-24-2011 at 12:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast