+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Group Tool and Why it is a Bad Idea

Default Looking for Group Tool and Why it is a Bad Idea

Well I just found out that in Patch 1.2 Trion plans on implementing a Looking for Dungeon tool much like the one that is currently in WoW, for those of you who did/do play (for those of you who don't basically it looks at your souls and allows you to pick your role: dps, heals, tank). Now, the only reason I can see why Trion would want to implement something like this is because of people complaining about the inability to find groups for dungeons. Now, I realize that this may have a lot to do with server population imbalance (a majority of players on a handful of servers and countless "dead" servers), and faction population balance. But, I think there are other ways to combat this issue than to implement a looking for group tool. I would suggest shutting down all of these "dead" servers and allowing players to transfer, for free, to a medium population server, that way all of the servers will have a relatively similar amount of players on it.

While my only prior MMO experience to Rift has been in World of Warcraft, I have seen what the implementation of a LFG tool has done to the community of WoW. I started playing WoW at launch and I always enjoyed the server community (actually interacting with others in chat to get a group together) and the world interaction of forming dungeon group (actually going out into the world to get to the dungeon). However, after the implementation of the LFG all players do is sit in their major faction city and afk until their queue pops up. I believe that the addition of a LFG tool will have a devastating effect on the community of this game, a game that relies so heavily on world interaction. And finally, these kind of automated queuing systems will always favor tanks, making an incentive system of rewarding tanks with mounts and vanity pets necessary in WoW.

I love Rift and I can't ever see myself going back to WoW, however, I would like to see Trion avoid the same pitfalls. Do not add an Looking for group tool to the game. Keep the players in the game interacting with each other, and keep people going out in the world. Things like this actually make you feel like you're playing in a living, breathing world. I feel socializing and interacting is an often much overlooked quality of MMOs. I have really enjoyed my current time in Rift, meeting new people in public groups and making friends to run dungeons with now and then.

Please do not let a LFG tool plague with world with reclusive players and dead zones.

These are just my two cents; feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by shockstreet; 04-23-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Improved thread title
    Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it.

Ascendant

Dead horse, beaten repeatedly to death since the first beta. It is being implemented, get over it.
    www.maximation.us
    #1 Guardian raiding guild. Check us out if you think you have what it takes!

-Opi & Opii @ Shatterbone

Quote Originally Posted by opaque View Post
    Dead horse, beaten repeatedly to death since the first beta. It is being implemented, get over it.
    Troll elsewhere, I am using the forums for their intended purpose.
    Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it.

Telaran

The guy above you is right though. It doesn't matter what you say or think at this point, it's going in. You would have to be Barack Obama telling trion not to implement it. Even then, they still probably would.
    Christwo, Rogue
    <stay small NERDS>, Best bard in the world
    The way the best bards play.
    http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4...ayriftbard.jpg
    After my recent River of Souls conquest, I have made a record of my great success.

Soulwalker

Is it a LFG tool or a LFG finder that they are bring in as they are 2 different thing's . I.e. a tool is a list option that you can see what players specs and stuff is and still have to invite them to group.
    And a finder is where its 100% random who you get in group.

Would hope its the list option but have not read what type of system it is.

Shadowlander

Unless the LFD system they are implementing is cross-server, it will have no affect on community.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by shockstreet View Post
    Your OP was constructive but is all opinion and no facts. The positives out weigh the negatives by far.

1. A cross shard LFD tool opens your playerbase to each other instead of 1 servers LFG List you get every servers making groups happen faster more often.

2. People do not want to log on and LFG for an hr or 2 when they only have an hr or 2 to play without a LFD people waste time and you expect your paying customers to waste time it gets old and they leave soon enough.

Your only experience is wow well not mine ive played most MMOs started with EQ in when it came out and a LFG List doesnt work for EQ it didnt work for WOW pre DF and it wont work for Rift the whole point of a DF is to open the LFG Pool to every server.

Well I am sure Trion will implement solutions to deal with looters and people with bad intentions for the group. I would even go as far as for them to lock need to once per dungeon. And the only way for them to get another item is if everyone of the team passes on it. This way they will think twice about needing on an item for another class and it will make the pass tool more useful. Then they should make a documented ratio visible to players need/greed/pass ratio. That is more than enough for teams to decide if a player is good sport about things. Documented proof... is better than word of mouth.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 04-24-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Soulwalker

Cool Good idea

to me its a good idea, to do a dungeon and not having to waste hours looking for a healer would be great, plus havung to work then school so i dont want to log in and have to wait, i mean at least they can do is out you in the group and make you still go there to explore, but i seriously is a good idea but i never complained about it though.

Shadowlander

I hope it's a WoW style xrealm DF, as finding groups is like pulling teeth, and the implementation of a DF will keep me sub'd.

This is a nessesity for players who play during off peak hours. Im an Oceanic player, when i get in from my day and get online there is almost no dungeon groups going down.

I do not have the option to play at other times, for me im playing 7pm till midnight, a LFD finder will help me enjoy this game. So far this has been primarily a single player game with embedded IRC for me.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by shockstreet View Post
    Ill-informed, hyperbole-filled, attention whoring?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sendrel View Post
    Ill-informed, hyperbole-filled, attention whoring?
    I believe you are thinking of facebook.

+ Reply to Thread