+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gatekeeper kaleida

Telaran

Default Gatekeeper kaleida

Can anyone offer any times or advice for this boss? My group is having problems with it. We can one shot cc, but we're having problems with this one boss. We have a tank war, cleric heal, rogue, mage and usually some random guildmate.

Champion

make sure someone can keep a 50% heal debuff up on her during the entire earth phase.

Then its just a matter of dpsing it down while having non tanks avoid the fire crystals and healers avoid the air stuns.

Did her yesterday in 2 earth cycles with 2 rogues (1 nightblade, 1 ranger) and a cleric + chloromancer.

Pull him during fire, and pull him to the entrance of his room instead of tanking him where he stands, this gives you more surface area to work with.

If you're healing with a chloro have him use Natural Conversion as the boss casts Fireblast so melee can stay in for it to maximize dps, otherwise melee needs to run out for it. Keep in mind this spell has a minute and a half cooldown, so the chloro can't get every one.

When he switches to earth stack behind the boss so the crystal spawns in range of everyone including melee, even the tank should switch dps to this and burn it down, and you should apply a mortal strike if available (not necessary though if you have high dps). If possible have people save major cooldowns for this phase (static discharge, etc).

Always have the ranged camp stack up on the far left or far right on every other phase but earth, and have them move to the other side accordingly as crystals spawn. Having a crystal spawn in the middle of the room can be very problematic because this can cause LoS and range issues as healers try to avoid them.

Just bring a nightblade.

What, don't have a nightblade? Ha, serves you right for discriminating against rogues!

Plane Touched

3 stormcallers imo

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    make sure someone can keep a 50% heal debuff up on her during the entire earth phase.

Then its just a matter of dpsing it down while having non tanks avoid the fire crystals and healers avoid the air stuns.
    How do you avoid the air stuns?

Champion

at the moment you can los them using the ramps

Champion of Telara

It's pretty much never worth it to try to DPS down the earth crystal because it gets its heals off very fast, and it has a considerable amount of HPs. Unless you have a way to maintain healing debuff on Kaleida while DPSing the crystal (at least Warrior ones require you to be hitting the target), it's simply not worth it if you even miss a few seconds of healing debuff to try to kill the crystal. Doing the fight with identical DPS, Kaledia always ends up with far more HP if we try to kill the crystal compared to just ignoring it completely, and I'm talking about a 30% difference on Earth phase using identical DPS.

Champion

about the only way you can really dps crystals down and not be at a disadvantage is if your tanks the one applying the debuff.

So yeah, best to just pew pew it through the healing, only takes your dps doing around 600 dps and a 50% debuff to actually still be having the health go down.

Champion of Telara

It helps if you got healing debuff that can be applied from range, or by the tank, because he will continue to heal during the fire phase for a bit and it is difficult for melee to attack him during that phase due to Fire Blasts.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Lupita View Post
    Pull him during fire, and pull him to the entrance of his room instead of tanking him where he stands, this gives you more surface area to work with.

If you're healing with a chloro have him use Natural Conversion as the boss casts Fireblast so melee can stay in for it to maximize dps, otherwise melee needs to run out for it. Keep in mind this spell has a minute and a half cooldown, so the chloro can't get every one.

When he switches to earth stack behind the boss so the crystal spawns in range of everyone including melee, even the tank should switch dps to this and burn it down, and you should apply a mortal strike if available (not necessary though if you have high dps). If possible have people save major cooldowns for this phase (static discharge, etc).

Always have the ranged camp stack up on the far left or far right on every other phase but earth, and have them move to the other side accordingly as crystals spawn. Having a crystal spawn in the middle of the room can be very problematic because this can cause LoS and range issues as healers try to avoid them.
    You don't need to bring him to the entrance, that would actually be a bad idea. Then to move to another side you have to run by his fire blast range to go up a ramp.

I would have it split, tank where he stands, 1dps 1 healer on the left, and same on the right. The tank can get hit VERY hard especially in air phase if you get a lightning +melee right after each other. If you have your healers at the same spot when a crystal spawns and the two healers are running to get away it's very hard to keep him healed if he takes that crazy spike damage. Keep healers on opposite sides so only one healer needs to move at a time.

But everything else sounds good. Healing debuff isn't "needed" it does help though, especially going after multifaceted.

Ascendant

Yesterday was first time in zone, then did it again today first shot...not that hard once everyone in group understands what each phase involves. As has been mentioned healing debuff is important, or you can use a mage ability think its called Blight, strips HoTs off of Kaleida.

We pulled during Fire, tanked him pretty close to his spawn point (a little closer to middle from spawn point), healers run to opposite sides when a crystal lands in the middle, I always keep my instants up for fire and cd's up for Air as a healer.
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 04-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Saw this boss for the first time today as a guild. Didn't take it duwn until the 9th try.

The final run was perfect.

Group comp was Warrior tank, Cleric healer, Chloro, Marksman, and NB (my role for this particular fight).

Pulled after fire phase. I ran with DPS weapon enchants up and switched during air phase (or was it water? whichever one comes before earth). Made sure to get that healing debuff on before the phase switch to earth, and made sure to save a defensive CD or two for fire phase.

Tank kept him in the middle, Marksman at the entrance to the room, and I didn't see where the healers were because I was trying to not get cleaved.

We used all of our DPS cooldowns during earth phase and if for some reason an earth shard had to stay up past the earth phase, I kept Fell Blades up until the incoming healing was finished.

Looking at our parses, we didn't burn it down until we broke the 1500 DPS barrier. All of our failed runs were in the 1100-1400 range for damage.
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Healing debuffs are helpful if your dps isn`t quite breaking it, but otherwise I`ve found that swapping over to the earth crystals and just blowing it up is far easier. Sab+stormcaller dps with a chlorocon was more than enough to get [Double Rainbow] even pulling it from start at earth.

Champion of Telara

I really don't get what kind of DPS you could have that'd allow you to either kill crystals (assuming MT isn't the heal debuff guy) or ignore healing debuff. My group can get Kaledia down to about 30% after one cycle but if we don't healing debuff and go for the crystal first, he heals 60% of his health back. If we attack him and ignore the crystals, he ends up being down 10% after earth phase and heals about 15% during the middle of fire phase (our healing debuff is melee range, and crystal heals for some more into fire phase). By my estimation you'd need enough DPS to drop him in one cycle (half of the time for Double Rainbow) for you to do without healing debuff, and if you have that kind of DPS you clearly don't even need a strat to begin with.

Now if your MT can do healing debuff (Warrior sure can't, at least I see no sensible way to do it) then it's obviously better to do kill the crystals first, but as far as I know most combination of healing debuff cannot be applied 100% of the time from range.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast