+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dev feedback on Expert IT

Soulwalker

Default Dev feedback on Expert IT

Hi Guys,

I've completed IT expert twice and attempted it many more times over the last three weeks and here’s some feedback I have.

Broodmother Venoxas

Pretty good fight, nicely tuned for the level going in.

Caor Ashtone

Very boring fight, no movement, nothing for the tank to do, healing is boring. Spice it up a bit please, how about an add or two?

Three Kings

Painful fight, over tuned for the gear going in. I think the bosses health and damage should be reduced by 15%. Our tank has 70 odd toughness but on occasions his health went from full to dead in like one second, we thought initially the melee dude was somehow managing to spin the tank around so he had his back to the bosses but on careful examination of this happening seems not to be the case.

Bonelord Fetlorn

Another boring fight but this time due to random issues is quite frustrating. The boss can bug close to the walls, can walk through them, his abilities can also catch people through walls if he’s very close to it. We also on one attempt managed to get him stuck in the wall..bit buggy. Camera angles can also go crazy and cause wipes.

Ragnoth the Despoiler

Again over tuned, he does too much damage. Also the white circles are very buggy and do not always appear.

Totek the Ancient

Another very boring fight, needs spicing up, also we found when he was doing his aoe thing the tank would get knocked behind a shrub and go out of line of sight; please a shrub?

General issues.

- Stairs; a tank using aoe threat would not always work if a) he was on stairs b) the mob was on stairs c) the person pulling threat was on stairs i.e. guys there’s something wrong with fighting mobs on stairs in this instance.

- Candles; daft bug with some of the candles that if you jump on them, you get stuck, you perform a falling like action but never land.

- Mobs suddenly appearing, running around, then disappearing and then reappearing with half the mobs in the instance, this seems to happen to the mobs that pat amongst the other mobs. not sure exactly what is wrong with them.

- The main issue. Too much trash mobs, it feels as if you have deliberately padded the instance with trash, please consider removing 1/3 trash packs they just serve no purpose, it’s a long enough instance properly geared as it.

The overall consensus in the guild is that the trash turn the instance into a dull instance to run; if 1/3 trash were removed the thinking would be its not a bad instance and a little bit more work on polishing a few bits here and there would turn it into an enjoyable run.

Kind Regards

Carme

You can skip a moderate amount of trash. You can also double sap around quite a few packs of trash.

You're right about some of the bugs, but it seems like you're going out of your way to find some of them when the fights are generally very easy. As for the white circle, as long as you can see the npc, you're fine. Run to him, get the buff and move away again.

As for Caor, it's not meant to be an extremely dynamic fight. It's really just a dispel test for healers and a dps race for everyone else.

Expert IT wasn't that hard at the appropriate gear level and it basically becomes a /faceroll with higher end T1 gear.
    Last edited by HighFive; 04-22-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    You can skip a moderate amount of trash. You can also double sap around quite a few packs of trash.

You're right about some of the bugs, but it seems like you're going out of your way to find some of them when the fights are generally very easy. As for the white circle, as long as you can see the npc, you're fine. Run to him, get the buff and move away again.

As for Caor, it's not meant to be an extremely dynamic fight. It's really just a dispel test for healers and a dps race for everyone else.

Expert IT wasn't that hard at the appropriate gear level and it basically becomes a /faceroll with higher end T1 gear.
    Thanks for your comments HighFive. I wouldnt say we went out of our way to find bugs; bugs are bugs

Sez

I agree with Caor, I do not agree it should be easier. It should be more melee friendly, but definitely not easier in any way shape or form.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

- Broodlord always gives my groups trouble, whether I'm tanking, DPSing, or barding - I'm surprised you found it so well tuned. The mini-adds that constantly spawn are a significant hindrance to bad healers, and needing to LoS the spider during the help thing has wiped my groups so many times it hurts to recall.

- Caor actually *does* have a movement mechanic: you're supposed to be LoSing periodically to clear the stacks of that debuff, and the healer has to cleanse periodically. For an entry level expert, I don't believe the fight should be more difficult than this.

- Three Kings doing too much damage doesn't make much sense to me - I've never found this encounter to be particularly challenging, and bringing interrupts/healing debuffs makes it incredibly simple. Also, the toughness caps for T1/T2 are 50/100 - these are actual CAPS, in that toughness above 50 does absolutely nothing in a T1, and toughness above 100 does absolutely nothing in a T2. Your tank is taking as much incoming damage as he should be for the content, maybe just gear him up a bit or run with an offhealer/bard.

- Bonelord issues sound like your tank isn't properly positioning the mob - use the pillar he's pathing around and have everyone else outside, sneaking behind the wall when he casts. I've never encountered any sort of hitting-through-walls business on this boss, or any more buggyness than usual (which admittedly is a lot in this game).

- Ragnoth is a laughable encounter - I literally did this fight last night with myself as Riftstalker tanking and a *bard* healing - the healer and 2 DPS forgot to stand by Eliam and died at about 95%. Make sure people get right next to Eliam and receive the buff - it pulses and applies to you almost instantly, it's not an aura you need to remain inside of. The tank can and should also run in to pick it up, then run back out.

- Totek is again a mystery to me - pug healers have extreme difficulty healing this during his ground-pound phase, and seeing the tank spike down to 20% HP is spice enough for me! Tank him with the tank's back to a wall and range him down, easy peasy.

I do agree that the instance needs either a lot less trash, or less HP on the trash mobs, because it just takes too long compared to others.

With three kings, you just need to cooridinate cooldowns with the tank. Each healer is equipped with a cooldown to reduce incoming damage, as each each tank, both for 10 seconds.

Have the healer pop theirs first (with a macro saying when they do it so the Tank can count down), when the three kings are up. Once the healer's cooldown is over, have the tank pop theirs.

Thats 20 seconds of damage mitigation/avoidance. If you're not down to just 2 kings by then, get the DPS to step it up.

This advice only applies to 30-50 toughness geared tanks and at least CC/AP geared DPS. If you have more then that, its a tank and spank. If you're wiping and still have more then the minimum, tell your healer to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carme View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've completed IT expert twice
    Not really dev feedback then, is it?
    Guild Leader of Serenity on Bloodiron EU PvP
    I blog at http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/

Champion of Telara

You get the -33% to heal debuff after the healer dies, and since he is always the last to die when you fight them single, that means you always have -33% heal debuff when all 3 Kings are live. This is why their DPS appears to be extremely high (and it's actually pretty high until you take one down).

If you don't have a tank with especially good spell resistance, you can simply have someone else tank the magus since he mostly casts spells to help smooth out the initial rush. You should use your cooldowns early because once you get past the first 30 second heal debuff it never gets harder. Even if you killed the healer first it's still one less mob to tank (the healer actually melees pretty hard).

The last 3 fights in IT are all pretty annoying for a melee to fight, though they are making it a bit more melee friendly next patch.

Ascendant

Have the healer use all their cooldowns when all 3 go live, makes the fight pretty easy. Nothing in this instance is really overtuned, i've ran it with all kinds of pug groups.
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 04-22-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stabsy View Post
    Not really dev feedback then, is it?
    Stabsy, please do not quote me and cut half the quote off, the full quote is "I've completed IT expert twice and attempted it many more times over the last three weeks and here’s some feedback I have."

I've spent plenty of time in this place.

Thanks

Carme

Ascendant

actually dev will be happy for ANY constructive critizism. So thanks to the op. As always: If you know the mechanics a dungeon mostly gets easy. The thrill is going into a dungeon the first time and find them out. (Thats why i hate all those guides cause often its to tempting to read them after the first two wipes ^^).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I agree with Caor, I do not agree it should be easier. It should be more melee friendly, but definitely not easier in any way shape or form.
    Hi Sez, thanks for commenting; can you clarify a little, as I never mentioned it should be easier and I do not understand the melee comment. Thanks

Carme

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    - Broodlord always gives my groups trouble, whether I'm tanking, DPSing, or barding - I'm surprised you found it so well tuned. The mini-adds that constantly spawn are a significant hindrance to bad healers, and needing to LoS the spider during the help thing has wiped my groups so many times it hurts to recall.

- Caor actually *does* have a movement mechanic: you're supposed to be LoSing periodically to clear the stacks of that debuff, and the healer has to cleanse periodically. For an entry level expert, I don't believe the fight should be more difficult than this.

- Three Kings doing too much damage doesn't make much sense to me - I've never found this encounter to be particularly challenging, and bringing interrupts/healing debuffs makes it incredibly simple. Also, the toughness caps for T1/T2 are 50/100 - these are actual CAPS, in that toughness above 50 does absolutely nothing in a T1, and toughness above 100 does absolutely nothing in a T2. Your tank is taking as much incoming damage as he should be for the content, maybe just gear him up a bit or run with an offhealer/bard.

- Bonelord issues sound like your tank isn't properly positioning the mob - use the pillar he's pathing around and have everyone else outside, sneaking behind the wall when he casts. I've never encountered any sort of hitting-through-walls business on this boss, or any more buggyness than usual (which admittedly is a lot in this game).

- Ragnoth is a laughable encounter - I literally did this fight last night with myself as Riftstalker tanking and a *bard* healing - the healer and 2 DPS forgot to stand by Eliam and died at about 95%. Make sure people get right next to Eliam and receive the buff - it pulses and applies to you almost instantly, it's not an aura you need to remain inside of. The tank can and should also run in to pick it up, then run back out.

- Totek is again a mystery to me - pug healers have extreme difficulty healing this during his ground-pound phase, and seeing the tank spike down to 20% HP is spice enough for me! Tank him with the tank's back to a wall and range him down, easy peasy.

I do agree that the instance needs either a lot less trash, or less HP on the trash mobs, because it just takes too long compared to others.
    Howdy Carthoris, thanks for spending the time to write a detailed reply.

I think it’s a sign of a good game that groups have different opinions on bosses, we found the spider to be very easy and three kings an absolute head ache - completely opposite to what your experiences are.

I am a healer, one of the reasons of the tank spike during Totek could be what I mentioned, that when he does his ground phase, the tank gets pushed back against the wall and then the daft little shrub causes line of sight and the healer has to position him/her self to start healing again, it’s rather annoying, could be the cause of what you are seeing and yes I agree it’s an easy fight. Yep we know about the aura buff and you do not need to stand permanently in the white circle - the main issue is if you can see the damn circle, mob or mob name plate as that seems to disappear randomly from try to try.

Regards

Carme
    Last edited by Carme; 04-23-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Soulwalker

fyi - just wanted to clarify that this was a feedback post, I understand you may wish to provide strat info but it was not meant for that. Strat info as part of the feedback or if you wish to question my feedback as you might believe the feedback is based upon flawed strat info then fine fire away.

What are your experiences of this instance? What do you think was hard or easy, what would you change if you were a dev at trion?

Regards

Carme
    Last edited by Carme; 04-23-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Rift Disciple

I've completed IT expert twice and attempted it many more times over the last three weeks and here’s some feedback I have.
    I cant see how you "cannot" complete this instance on many occasions....IT on expert is like IT at lvl 17 after you completed it once and know the tricks.

All the bugs you mentioned, never encountered them or been hindered by them even if they do excist, bonelord wall issues ? what ?

Small spiders a problem for bad healers ? in that case what are the dps doing ? being more bad then the bad clerics ? if they have a problem with the adds, kill them! saying they are bad without moving an inch to help them being dps isnt helping your groups performance at all.

No i guess you dont want to switch target so that your dps on that parser doesnt drop, finishing dungeon as smooth as possible > everything else even if you sometimes have to do things outside your resume.

Its the small things that help allot on encounters.

My take on IT Expert = Its all way to easy
    Last edited by songie; 04-23-2011 at 02:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast