+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Simple reason why people dont want LFD

Quote Originally Posted by Banuvan View Post

LFD is bad. I'm just glad that I have the communication skills to be in a guild, to have a conversation with that guild, to form groups with guild members, and not have to deal with baddies like yourself.
    Thats not what I'm getting from his post. I think he is saying let the cherry pickers group with their own, so they never have to group with anyone else.
    Last edited by Walsingham; 04-25-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Insulting Comments
    Cleric Inquisitor - "MOAR DOTS!"

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
    Thats not what I'm getting from his post. I think he is saying let the cherry pickers group with their own, so they never have to group with anyone else.
    That was happening anyway. His post is a direct attack on those that choose to not group with baddies and don't want to group with baddies through a LFG tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Banuvan View Post
    That was happening anyway. His post is a direct attack on those that choose to not group with baddies and don't want to group with baddies through a LFG tool.
    Yes it was, but the fact of the matter is I don't hear that he is looking to be carried, as you put it. He's saying to the cherry pickers go group and dont bother anyone else.

People have the right to group with anyone they want and its a given that they will. So dont use the LFG tool. Very simple.
    Cleric Inquisitor - "MOAR DOTS!"

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Roctod View Post
    Uh cherry picking is 100% a bad thing. It is that sort of attitude that led to the rise of gearscore/ilvl requirement garbage in WoW. Cherry picking group members and grabbing only people who meet some arbitrary gear/spec requirement breeds an elitist mindset. What people say is "I only want to group with people of this metric because I don't want to carry anyone" which usually translates to "I want to be carried through the instance myself."

Instead of trying to lock out new players, players who don't have experience with game mechanics, or people who aren't playing the game for mathematical min/max scenarios, why not offer to be more helpful to these players?

I guess that would take time away from the "I'm so good at this game, I don't have time for plebeians" rants.
    I cherry pick against people who don't meet an arbitrary "competence" requirement. I don't want to group with people who are only capable of being carried through the instance themselves.

I help promising up-and-comers, but I've had my fill of trying to teach 'special' players and I don't feel beholden to them.

We've had this mage in our guild since launch, and he's been level 50 for 4 weeks now. One of his specs has always been "Chloromancer", and clerics who have healed with him complain that it feels like solo healing.

Over the weekend, in a dungeon run, a mage in our guild was with him and noticed something: he didn't use Lifegiving Veil. This mage has been a "Chloromancer" for 4 weeks and didn't know he needed to buff himself with Lifegiving Veil to heal his tank/party.

That same mage has a rogue friend who was with us in our first Infiltrator kill on Saturday. We wiped maybe 20 times on Infiltrator, many of them during the last 25% trying to work out issues keeping the main healer/tank pair alive long enough for DPS to finish him. The rogue died at least twice to bombs/wisps on every single attempt. Every single attempt, despite the repeated verbal reminders about bombs on the ground, about him turning around or teleporting, and needing to get out of the blast radius.

I'm not sorry that I don't want to include people like these as part of my gameplay experience. I will avoid the random chance of having one in my groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Taemien View Post
    Cherry Pickers will still be able to do so by the old fashioned way, so I don't see the issue. Everyone's happy. LFDers will get other LFDers, cherry pickers will get other cherry pickers. I though players liked to play with like minded people? If thats not the case can someone explain to me why it isn't?
    To those that don't like LFG tool, don't use it. Simple as that. I hate them and will not be using it either. Just sit back and enjoy and the delicious tears when said tool makes mroe problems than it fixes and their mournful cries fill the chat channels/forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bejita View Post
    They want to control who gets to party, like for example right now most melee warriors and rogues have quit their class and you hardly see any at 50, because simply they cannot get groups because of how gimp they have become thanks to mythic bright wizard lovers going on rampant nerf rampages
    This might be an issue on your server but not on mine. I normally run guild groups using dps rogues and dps warriors. Most times the mage in the group is a chlor/archon to do the support role and off heal. I even do pugs where we often have dps rogues and warriors. I rarely get to dps in experts almost always in a support role on my mage. When I do get to dps usually its for trash pulls only and on boss fights I have to switch back to support. Would say in over 50 expert runs (T1 and T2) I have been dps as a mage 10 times for trash and twice (guild groups) for trash and bosses. Over 90% of my expert runs on my mage I have been there in a support/off heal role. Sometimes we have had 3 rogues and cleric and my mage. Other times 2 warriors a rogue then the cleric and finally my mage. Hell even had 3 warrior runs before as well. I have done 1...ONE expert where there was an additional mage in the group. I run experts all the time when I am not raiding. I have close to 800 plaques now and nothing to spend them on but I still keep doing experts for the fun and pug experts for the challenge.

So yea again from my experience if you can't find experts on your server its either an issue with your server or your reputation. If your a bad player people tend to remember and avoid them in experts. If you are a loot ***** again people tend to avoid picking you for experts. Could be a variety of reasons but its not that rogues or warriors are not viable options.

I will say though if they put one in, then sure I will check it out. After all you have up to the first boss to figure out if its going to work or not. I will also say I hope it isn't cross server. Then there really isn't any accountability someone could be a real jerk or ninja drops and not have any recourse.
    Last edited by Datku; 04-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roctod View Post

Player A: "LF1M dps [Instance]"
    Player B: "I'll go."
    Player A: "Well your gearscore is 989 instead of 995, and you have a blue weapon. You're not qualified to go."
    Player B: "But...I've done the whole instance with no problem before."
    Player A: "Sorry your gearscore isn't good enough for us."

This is the kind of cherry picking we were talking about in the first place. This sort of arbitrary metric does lend itself to elitism and only causes frustration for new players, or even veterans who have poor luck with drops.

Honestly I have not seen anyone try to pull that number in rift so far. I have had a few people question me about my gear and generally I under sell myself just to see how they react. Besides its always funny to get some people on their fist T2 run that are all hyped up and expecting things to be really difficult...talking plans and strats then you show up and instantly everyone selects you and you know they are inspecting. Then comes the questions...where that orange staff come from LOL.

Plane Touched

You fail, EQ1 never had an LFD, autogroup formgin tool, as far as I know EQ2 never did Either.

EQ1 always had an LFG tag, and you could /who level class lfg or jsut /who lfg whatever and it worked well. That is NOT what people are saying they don't want, some 6 expansions in they finally provided a UI tool that aided in this, but it was really just dfoing the /who search functions in the background. If it's in EQ1 it's only because they game has merged servers 3-4 times now and is continually shrinking.

Arguably LFD tools (not to be confused with LFG tools) are the signal of a dead game.

Quote Originally Posted by Taemien View Post
    Which games are those? The top selling MMOs all had them:

World of Warcraft, Everquest, Everquest 2, to name a few.

Back to point of thread...

Cherry Pickers will still be able to do so by the old fashioned way, so I don't see the issue. Everyone's happy. LFDers will get other LFDers, cherry pickers will get other cherry pickers. I though players liked to play with like minded people? If thats not the case can someone explain to me why it isn't?

Rift Disciple

Most people want an LFG tool similar to WoW's. Only the same whining group of ***** that are opposed to damage parsers are against it. They're too busy crying here to be any good at the game which is why they've been largely ignored and we'll be seeing such a tool go live next week.

END OF DISCUSSION!
    Last edited by OneOverX; 04-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Galt - 50 Rogue

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OneOverX View Post
    Most people want an LFG tool similar to WoW's. Only the same whining group of ***** that are opposed to damage parsers are against it. They're too busy crying here to be any good at the game which is why they've been largely ignored and we'll be seeing such a tool go live next week.

END OF DISCUSSION!
    Actually I don't want a LFG tool at all. On top of that I find a damage parser to be an invaluable tool when my guild is raiding. As the guild leader and MT it tells me who is doing their part in the raid on so many levels. It's what enabled us to actually make progression on Infiltrator. So, your statement is full of false statements and half truths.

Shield of Telara

If you cant get 5 people to do a dungeon in your guild then i dont think your guild is as good as you say it is

And if you are subjecting yourself to the LFD even though its full of so called baddies what does that say about your guild

The true reason is people are lazy and dont want to gear people up through a dungeon which is *shocker* what 5 mans are for, they are for gearing you up for raiding, if you dont want to go through a dungeon to gear people up, dont join the LFD and stick to your oh so awesome guild that cant scrounge up 4 other people

OP theory is definitely supported by my experience.

I was spamming lfg channel for like 10-15 mins. And there was a guy who was looking for 2 dpsers. I have contacted him like 20 or 30 seconds after his LFM, and he was already full. When I asked why he didn't contact me, because I was spamming lfg for a while, he replied honestly; "I don't want to have melee in my group, these encounters are not melee friendly. Sry.".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3