+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Proposed Dungeon Finder System

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Proposed Dungeon Finder System

    I have been reading up on pros and cons for implementing a dungeon finder system in Rift, and I agree with a lot of the things being said. http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/04/2...nder-argument/

    Having read that article as well as having experienced mmo's with and without a dungeon finder tool I have some ideas.

    1) The main reason players run dungeons is for loot. Finding a group on a players shard would be preferable to finding one through a dungeon finder with random players where social interaction will most likely be at a minimum. Having said that I suggest a bonus to loot drop rates when in a dungeon group without using the dungeon finder. This gives players that use the dungeon finder the ability to still get that loot they want/need if they can't find a group on their own shard.

    2) Running dungeons repeatedly for experience has always been a great way to level if you could get a group together to do so. Combining that with a dungeon finder makes leveling easier but also removes most of the content players will experience because they will feel that running dungeons is the only option for leveling at a fast pace. I suggest that players using the dungeon finder have an xp penalty that affects xp gained from mobs in dungeons. Again this goes back to reason 1 and makes running dungeons more about getting loot that is needed and allows players to complete dungeon quests they might not complete normally. XP from quests in a dungeon would remain unaffected by the dungeon finder xp penalty.

    3) Lastly since we are promoting social interaction there should be an option to run another dungeon or the same dungeon with your current dungeon finder group. As such, each run after the first with the same group should reduce the xp penalty from using the dungeon finder.

    Keep this thread alive if you like my ideas and maybe we'll get a dungeon finder system everyone can enjoy.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker Stavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    A Dungeon Finder system will kill RIFT just as it killed WoW, all zones will eventually become ghost towns and there will be no point in having PvP servers when all you can do is sit in town and farm the Dungeon Finder without moving an inch. I oppose any implementation of a Dungeon Finder and my days of playing this game will end if they do decide to implement it.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavi View Post
    A Dungeon Finder system will kill RIFT just as it killed WoW, all zones will eventually become ghost towns and there will be no point in having PvP servers when all you can do is sit in town and farm the Dungeon Finder without moving an inch. I oppose any implementation of a Dungeon Finder and my days of playing this game will end if they do decide to implement it.
    WoW is dead? Oh snap, then I must be imagining the tons of people that I've seen lately.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default No it won't

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavi View Post
    A Dungeon Finder system will kill RIFT just as it killed WoW, all zones will eventually become ghost towns and there will be no point in having PvP servers when all you can do is sit in town and farm the Dungeon Finder without moving an inch. I oppose any implementation of a Dungeon Finder and my days of playing this game will end if they do decide to implement it.

    If you read my post carefully, using the Dungeon finder to level would be terrible unless you could keep the same group going in which case it's the same as if you found 5 people on 1 shard and just ran dungeons. With my suggestions the Dungeon finder would be a means to get the gear and quests done that might be difficult otherwise if you can't find a group.

    The reason zones were so deserted in WoW with the dungeon finder was because you could level and get loot without ever leaving the city, my suggestions put a limit on that.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Dungeon Finder didn't kill WoW, nor did it make areas ghost towns. Areas in WoW were ghost towns before the Dungeon Finder, whole cities had very little people in them because they had no real value (AH, Portals, etc.)

    WoW is all about the high end game, nothing else. After 5+ years most are doing nothing but end game dungeons, raids, quests, crafting, rep grinds, etc.

  6. #6
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    507

    Default

    If there was ever to be a team tool I'd rather it be a lfg tool than a dungeon tool.

    Players mark em selves looking for team, write a short blurb about what their looking for and what they can do and that puts em in a window people can then look through and invite people from.

    add in search and filters, maybe put in some limitations (such as only seeing people of x levels above/below you, zone locks or something so you can't just sit in sanctum/meridian waiting to get the invite)

    Wouldn't just be for dungeons but for other content as well.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser Octavian2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    If there was ever to be a team tool I'd rather it be a lfg tool than a dungeon tool.

    Players mark em selves looking for team, write a short blurb about what their looking for and what they can do and that puts em in a window people can then look through and invite people from.

    add in search and filters, maybe put in some limitations (such as only seeing people of x levels above/below you, zone locks or something so you can't just sit in sanctum/meridian waiting to get the invite)

    Wouldn't just be for dungeons but for other content as well.
    This is what I want to see, also, but PLEASE for the sake of Rift and my shard NO LFD tool like the one in WoW. I wish people would see it for what it is and really understood the negative impact it would have on the game and just let it die.


    GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 RotP 4/4 HK 10/11
    Pvp rank 8 Rogue - Age of Aggression.
    www.resultgaming.com

  8. #8
    Soulwalker Caller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavian2011 View Post
    This is what I want to see, also, but PLEASE for the sake of Rift and my shard NO LFD tool like the one in WoW. I wish people would see it for what it is and really understood the negative impact it would have on the game and just let it die.
    That is ok for you, but it is more likely that Rift will die then WoW and this has nothing to do with the LFG tool. There are always aholes that abuse a given system. Just read follow the news in the real world. Bad bank anyone?

    The problem is not the tool, it is the people who use it.

    If I log on a game to have some good spend leisure time, it is no use when I have to spend the leisure time to find someone for a dungeon. If I have to, then my time is better spend elsewhere. However your interest may vary thus your opinion.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser Octavian2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Well, I have the motivation, a friend's list full of 50's(people I know well), and a guild full of 50's. During prime time it takes me 15 minutes TOPS to but together an expert group. At off hours it is a bit harder, but that's what I get for playing off hours.

    On my alts in the lower level brackets it is much harder, but I always get groups together. People need to get some confidence and learn to form their own groups. People need to learn how to socialize in a MMO, because that's the core of a MMO ... the community.

    Rift will never die as long as people like myself are playing. Folks who are socially inept can migrate back to WoW and enjoy that game for what it is ... a MMO that caters to socially inept people, whiners, lazies, and children. Enjoy it...


    GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 RotP 4/4 HK 10/11
    Pvp rank 8 Rogue - Age of Aggression.
    www.resultgaming.com

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Mixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavian2011 View Post
    Well, I have the motivation, a friend's list full of 50's(people I know well), and a guild full of 50's. During prime time it takes me 15 minutes TOPS to but together an expert group. At off hours it is a bit harder, but that's what I get for playing off hours.

    On my alts in the lower level brackets it is much harder, but I always get groups together. People need to get some confidence and learn to form their own groups. People need to learn how to socialize in a MMO, because that's the core of a MMO ... the community.

    Rift will never die as long as people like myself are playing. Folks who are socially inept can migrate back to WoW and enjoy that game for what it is ... a MMO that caters to socially inept people, whiners, lazies, and children. Enjoy it...

    You post a lot about yourself and your confidence. You should find a forum that expresses your feelings instead of a gaming forum. This game has already turned into a "end-game based game" due to how easy it is to level.

    People who are socially inept, believe it or not, are the majority funding this beloved Rift.

    You act like Rift is any different considering how much of a Clone it really is. What set Rift apart from WoW? Rifts and the soul system. Not much ..
    Last edited by Mixel; 04-21-2011 at 08:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts