+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to

Default How to

Hia.

Just started the game last weekend and one of my quests asks me now to enter a certain dungeon.

That part is not solobar.

How do I find a group for a dungeon. Is there some system I can register with?

RIFT Community Ambassador Golden's Avatar

Usually players are advertising in the general channels for group members. You just have to look for the LFG messages for the dungeon you need, RotF or RoF (Realm of the Fae) if you are Guardian and IT (Iron Tombs) if you are Defiant.

Thanks.

To be honest, I am not sure if I will spend my playtime with spamming a chancel while looking for people. The quests have the tag epic. Can I safely discard those quest or will something break in the storyline?

Ascendant

The epic storyline is really nice to follow just to know whats going on overall in the game, but you can completely skip dungeons anyways since you outlevel gear rather quickly after just a few levels.

worst case theres usually a few 50s lying around in your guild(you do have a group of friends of some sort right? RIGHT?!) who can spend 20-30 mins running leveling guild members through for loot and quests and exp(one dungeon run can easily be an entire level of xp, its crazy how much you get for mowing down elites)

many of my guildies skipped the epic quest chain the first time around and we are all sorta getting caught up on it (some of us are now at the stage to do perdeen), it requires hitting multiple dungeons as you go, and we dragged lowbies along when we went for them (not to mention dungeons required for guild quests)

I will see if someone takes me along.

Well I could quest my way to 50 and solo the dungeon then to see how it looks inside. Sorry, but this is bad design.

Another thing:
    I reached level 20 now and I am wondering how you get the fraction items. Did all quests for the Freemarch, ending up at some level of friendliness. I may now buy level 12 equipment from the npc, but the level 19 weapons, that would help me, I cant buy since my reputation is to low. Since I earned the achievement for quest in that zone, I did certainly enough quests. (There are none left to do anyway)

Serious, how is a level 19/20 supposed to get the fraction level required for the items the npc sells?
    Currently I am checking the auctions to hope to find some useable gear, but the price ideas ppl have are quite nuts.

How does a level 19 defiant get the fraction level 19 gear?
    Or how does a level 12 defiant get the fraction gear for level 12? I had that rep at level 20.
    Any insight?

Personal comment:
    Don't get me wrong, but appears to me that someone was during design more busy to copycat then to think carefully about things that get added. Did cancel the subscription. Will see how the 30 days go, but I don't see me keeping yelling for LFG as I had to do in Ever Quest. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Caller View Post
    I will see if someone takes me along.

Well I could quest my way to 50 and solo the dungeon then to see how it looks inside. Sorry, but this is bad design.

Another thing:
    I reached level 20 now and I am wondering how you get the fraction items. Did all quests for the Freemarch, ending up at some level of friendliness. I may now buy level 12 equipment from the npc, but the level 19 weapons, that would help me, I cant buy since my reputation is to low. Since I earned the achievement for quest in that zone, I did certainly enough quests. (There are none left to do anyway)

Serious, how is a level 19/20 supposed to get the fraction level required for the items the npc sells?
    Currently I am checking the auctions to hope to find some useable gear, but the price ideas ppl have are quite nuts.
    Well the dungeon in that zone will give you loads of notoriety. About 2-3 runs of that dungeon and you should be fine. They do plan on adding a server-only LFG tool soon enough, but people have mixed opinion about that. If you played WoW, you do know that LFG destroyed any server community and you just hoped in the instance, killed everything and bye bye.

Hmm, then I must be a lucky guy, because most of my random groups where nice and fun. Occasional you have an idiot, but that is not the majority.

If I understand you correct, the fraction items I mentioned are pointless? Eg I can buy them when I am 50 and have the required fraction?
    Maybe I am overseeing something. What is the purpose of the level 12 and level 19 items on the vendor then?

Hmm, then I must be a lucky guy, because most of my random groups where nice and fun. Occasional you have an idiot, but that is not the majority.

If I understand you correct, the fraction items I mentioned are pointless? Eg I can buy them when I am 50 and have the required fraction?
    Maybe I am overseeing something. What is the purpose of the level 12 and level 19 items on the vendor then?
    It's not about good groups or bad groups. We still finished the instances no problem. The concern is that it will kill server community. Without cross-server LFG, if you are a ninja or a bastard in a group, you will get that reputation on the server and nobody will want to play with you. In wow, that didn't matter much. This leads to more respect between players, good players being recognized etc.

The items are not pointless. But they are not easy to get also. Quests+Dungeon cleared 2-3 times will give you enough reputation to buy the items. My advice do run the dungeons. They are quite entertaining to be honest and nice. They will also prepare you for some strategies on the expert instances.

You don't have to be in a city to advertise for a group. Just go ahead and type in /10-19 chanel or whatever level you are and get the group going as you do the quests.
    Last edited by Shaynaro; 04-21-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Well I think the problem is not solvable that way.

I was killing mops of an even level death rift, when a group of level 50 players showed up. No problem, I joined the public group to get credit for the kill, but they kicked me without a word out within seconds.
    I joined two times more, but I was not allowed to stay. They finished the rift, no credit for me.

Well, what was this? Why do level 50 player farm lowlevel rifts?
    The way how they jumped around me on their mounts looks like a PvE version of harassing.

People are concerned about LFG tool and social behavior or the lack of. The problem is not the tool, the behavior is already there.

Since 2 days I try to find someone to go IT with me. Do I need to farm or buy some platinum to pay someone?

What interest me more then the problem with finding groups is:
    What is the trick with the fraction equipment you can buy from NPCs?
    How does a level 19 char get the gear for the associated level?
    Serious, I really like to know. Does anyone know that?
    Last edited by Caller; 04-21-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Shadowlander

First, its an MMO. You're supposed to play with people. If you don't want to play with people then go play a single person game.

I've never seen the faction vendor you're talking about and I'm lvl 48. My experience in game and my ability to kill things has not suffered.

I went to IT a few times when I was around 20 and since then I've gone at least 10 times to run guild mates through. I've done Foul Cascade and DSM a lot too just running people though. The items in these places are nice but by no means do you need them to have fun or be effective in the game.

Since you can solo most content easily enough and level quickly that way, there's no reason to sit around at lvl 19 trying to find a group to run IT. Just go level in Stonefield and if you see someone forming an IT group, tell them you'd like to join. Someone will be at the entrance, and you can warp in from anywhere in the world. I've done a lot of pick-up groups like this and only got one response asking me about what guild I was in and what my gear was and what I was going to be (DPS, Tank, Healer, CC) in the team. It didn't feel right so I told him nevermind and get someone else. Not a big deal to me really and I knew that experience was going to be bad if someone was basing his decision to let me into the team on my guild affiliation. Probably someone from Static...

The really nice items in the game will require a group and thats the way it should be. However, you can get through the game fine without them if you don't want to group.

The level 50's coming to close your death rift is an issue right now but I'm thinking it will be fixed soon. Its convenient, and quicker to close a lvl 20 rift than it is for them to travel to the level 50 ones. They are doing it to get shards.

This isn't bad design, this is intent. Dungeons are specifically geared toward having something to do with friends. MMOs are social games and while we all need our "solo time", if you want the big loot, you're going to have to work with people to take down monsters you'd otherwise not have a chance with.
    Glory and Riches!

+ Reply to Thread