+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank Rants

Default Tank Rants

Grah wtf is up with DPS and other people in the group thinking that they are tanks >_>

For the past few days on my way to 50 i've encountered some really stupid people! Most of the Warriors that I invite to the group for DPS use Reaver soul, then when i see the buffs, and there Reaver AoE, (Soul Sickness) im like pls stop using Reaver, its what i use to keep agro...... then they call me fail for not holding agro -.-

A Mage that like to run into EVERY Group, as a Chloro, Squirreling them, wasting all my AoE Taunts, putting them on CD, placing all the mobs everywhere making it a pain to pull in the casters and maintain an easy hold on everything. Then goes TANK HOLD AGRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reason we wipe is cuz you can't hold agro......

NEWS FLASH if you are grabbing agro before the tank, its harder to pull agro off you, so don't do it. If you are using a Tanking Soul to DPS, stop doing it you will die. Also, if the Entire party is saying you suck... well chances are that the entire party is right.

Let them die. Kill them a few times and they will either adapt or ragequit. This is as old as MMOs...
    Kalistrasz
    Level 50 Warrior
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

lol, that seems to be the real main solution to idiots.

Plane Touched

This is why I do my best to avoid PuGs. Most of my guild is thick-skinned enough that I can smack their hand, and tell them how they caused a wipe (or their own death).

(Yes, I'll admit when it's my fault a wipe happened. I've done my share of bad pulls and silly things.)
    My dungeon experiences and builds as a 2h Cleric tank are posted on my blog. All T1 and most T2 expert dungeons complete.

I've also posted the coordinates for all exploration achievements on my website (redesign in the works): http://tehkrizz.net/RIFT/exploration.php

Champion of Telara

When I lose aggro..........I only make an effort to re acquire if it was a healer that drew aggro....cause 99% of the time its my fault. Anyone else gets to tank whatever they pull.

Usually once or twice is all most need to learn..........there are a few that never learn so I just rely on them to serve as a extra dmg blocker for me

Its also important to train your healers to not bother trying to heal those idiots or combat rez them.

DPS warriors that have tank souls and then insist on using "...adds additional threat" abilities are without a doubt the most annoying to group with as a tank.

Ascendant

I like it when my healer is on the same page as me and refuses to heal dps who do stupid things that get them unwanted mob attention. I don't mind an accidental peel, but if it's just blatant sloppy play I'll warn them once and the next time, they're on there own and I will happily stand there and watch them die without heals and then pick up the mob and carry on with them dead. If they don't learn after that, usually it's best to just replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I like it when my healer is on the same page as me and refuses to heal dps who do stupid things that get them unwanted mob attention.
    If I am tanking, my wife is healing and vice versa.

We frequently will let players die for shenanigans like that.

If they really peeved me off, I keep pulling and they don't get a rez.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kylars View Post
    For the past few days on my way to 50 i've encountered some really stupid people! Most of the Warriors that I invite to the group for DPS use Reaver soul, then when i see the buffs, and there Reaver AoE, (Soul Sickness) im like pls stop using Reaver, its what i use to keep agro...... then they call me fail for not holding agro -.-
    To be completely fair, Soul Sickness doesn't generate threat, and it should stack with your own dots. At least, I've had like 12 stacks of it before on me, I presume it stacks on NPCs too. If they're using necrotic wounds though, then there's problems.

Shadowlander

One thing that does annoy me as well is the tanks that just pull with aoe, aoe, aoe, aoe. I mean I have a split NB/Assassin build with 2 45 sec saps and 2 in combat saps. Now I'm only 48 but I've only ran into 1 case where my saps didn't work but for the most part this would make dungeons much easier. In a lot of cases there aren't more than 3 mobs. I can sap 2, which means the tank only has to pull one, which means he only has to taunt one, no cycling through all the mobs to keep aggro from peeling off. Things are just easier.

However, even if I go ahead and clearly sap two of the mobs the tank will still just dumbly go in and start spamming aoe attacks. Pretty much crowd control is a non-factor and I wish it wasn't so.

Back in the Anarchy Online days we would never engage more than one mob at a time. CC people actually had a job to do and someone that was good at it was very valuable. The only thing I get to do now is sap patrols.

Let the CC peeps feel useful. If a mob splits off to the healer, the CC'er should be tasked with stunning/mezzing/sapping the mob. The tank should note that the next one to kill would be that one. Helps if the CC'er can chain sap them, or off tank while waiting for cooldowns. Zerg style groups are pretty boring but we're all really concerned with topping the damage charts right so we'll just spam our aoe attacks when they are up rather than focus on single target attacks and keeping the situation under control.
    Last edited by Porvalsh; 04-18-2011 at 01:10 PM.

thing is, since im still omw to 50, i usually find random ppl to group with and its either hit or miss. can't wait till im 50 and get a perm pro group. so far i've only run across like 3 compitent healers that will just let them die.

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Let them die. Kill them a few times and they will either adapt or ragequit. This is as old as MMOs...
    Yes. Same goes for if you're healing and people are being stupid.

Basically, if non-tank characters are taking damage on trash, they're doing something wrong (aggro or positioning).

Usually, if you're in Pugs though, you have to expect that people will be undergeared, not spec'd correctly, not even have the correct spec and not know the content. Either you can heal your way through the problems or you drop after a wipe or two and move on. There's really no reason to QQ, especially if you can't find a guild or regular group to run with. Pug'ing is both a them and you problem.
    Last edited by HighFive; 04-18-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

...I'm not sure if I just stepped into a troll thread, but as a tank these replies scare me.

You shouldn't lose aggro to dps and if you do there's almost always something you could have done better. In rift there's no need to wait on aggro, tank better.

He who conquers the left side rules the world

not a troll thread, a rant thread, were talking about DPS's such as Warriors using Reaver soul to DD, contantly pulling agro off of you, since they are combining it with more Dmg output then the tank, causing we the tanks to waste our CD's on stupid non-sense that just doesn't have to be if ppl played there class right.

not a troll thread, a rant thread, were talking about DPS's such as Warriors using Reaver soul to DD, contantly pulling agro off of you, since they are combining it with more Dmg output then the tank, causing we the tanks to waste our CD's on stupid non-sense that just doesn't have to be if ppl played there class right.
    Then don't bring someone with a useless spec using tank skills.

He who conquers the left side rules the world

thing is, since im still omw to 50, i usually find random ppl to group with and its either hit or miss. can't wait till im 50 and get a perm pro group. so far i've only run across like 3 compitent healers that will just let them die.
    You don't have to depend on your healer to help you.

As a tank you're probably leader. If not and this type of problem is bugging you then start making your own groups.

If you're leader, ask nicely once, ask firmly a second time, third time /uninvite, /ignore and /5 lf1m XX dungeon random last spot, 1 boss down.

It's not your problem if someone wants to mess up your tanking, it's theirs.
    Guild Leader of Serenity on Bloodiron EU PvP
    I blog at http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast