+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bosses randomly throwing their normal attack at anyone standing in melee.

Enk
    Soulwalker

Default Bosses randomly throwing their normal attack at anyone standing in melee.

Hi, I've noticed some mobs will just randomly turn to players to use their normal attack ability (* attack hits * for * damage), and not just specials. This is not caused by aggro mechanics, I don't know what causes it but I've seen it with both a Warrior tanking and a Cleric.

Some encounters I've had this problem more frequently include the spider boss in Iron Tombs, where I would run in as a healer or a dps and have the boss just turn to me and swing then back to the tank. Another example would be the treant in Realm of the Fae, where a bunch of us stacked behind the boss; he meleed us all in turn, Warrior tank, to the Beastmaster for a swing, back to the tank, on to the healer, then to the tank, on to the Cabalist, back to the tank.

Is anyone else encountering this? These are not cleave attacks, nor are they aggro mechanics. They are simply normal attacks on anyone that's in melee range on some bosses, a swing or two at a time.

Had the same thing happen last night on Konstantine. The melee rogue hadn't even attacked yet. He was sliding into position and WHAM. Didn't kill him, but we checked the logs and it was just a normal attack, for like 4K...

Seriously needs looking at. It's crappy enough to have to take a melee to 90% of the dungeon content as it is. Random roshambos by the boss doesn't cut it.

RIFT Community Ambassador Sodahelm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enk View Post
    Hi, I've noticed some mobs will just randomly turn to players to use their normal attack ability (* attack hits * for * damage), and not just specials. This is not caused by aggro mechanics, I don't know what causes it but I've seen it with both a Warrior tanking and a Cleric.
    Underlined for emphasis. You say this, but what evidence do you have that it's true?

Both a healer at the start of an encounter and a Beastmaster who doesn't understand his companion buffs (or simply does more damage than the tank can hold against) can cause this to happen.

I don't know if there's anything special going on w/ Venoxa, but Orban will not do this under normal circumstances.

Rift Disciple

Honestly I do not take melee dps to expert runs that do not have a ranged spec too since this game is terribly melee unfriendly, nothing against the players that choose to melee, just Trion failing at mechanics and making them terrible for melee.

Champion

The spider boss doesn't cleave per say, what it does is that while it always faces the player that has aggro, if anyone else is in front of the spider, it will attack them at random. Because it's a normal attack it may seem like it's bugged out, but it's really because you're standing in front of the spider when you shouldn't be. If you stand behind the spider, it won't hit you.
    Last edited by Doddler; 04-16-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Rift Disciple

aggro issues, not the first day it happened, not the first post to ask.

Soulwalker

I can confirm this is happening. I am Cleric Tank.

Happened to my group last night doing an expert life rift. The NPC Durral Vie i think his name was, would randomly turn around and smack anyone who came close. This did not appear to be threat related at all. He happens to do a move where he sucks everyone in and does a PBAOE. Before people could run out he would turn and smack someone.

You can say this is a threat issue all you want, but we ran experts all day and there were no threat issues like this. We tested this with just me as a tank going in and a random person would walk in melee and he would turn and hit them.

I am Cleric Tank. It is very possible that this is just a very rare bug that happens from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anagran View Post
    I can confirm this is happening. I am Cleric Tank.

Happened to my group last night doing an expert life rift. The NPC Durral Vie i think his name was, would randomly turn around and smack anyone who came close. This did not appear to be threat related at all. He happens to do a move where he sucks everyone in and does a PBAOE. Before people could run out he would turn and smack someone.

You can say this is a threat issue all you want, but we ran experts all day and there were no threat issues like this. We tested this with just me as a tank going in and a random person would walk in melee and he would turn and hit them.

I am Cleric Tank. It is very possible that this is just a very rare bug that happens from time to time.
    This is the regular mechanic of that boss. He attacks melee range targets at random. He usually goes for the pets first for some reason. That fight has nothing to do with aggro, just an odd mechanic.

He who conquers the left side rules the world

+ Reply to Thread