Closed Thread

Thread: Raiding and Consumables

Default Raiding and Consumables

For veteran raiders, different consumables are probably nothing new, but if you're fresh to raiding the idea (or the available options) might be foreign. I remember when I first started raiding, which was in another MMO, I didn't use consumables because I didn't know I had the option to. Even as a noob, I wanted to do everything I possibly could to be considerate to my fellow raiders. Then one day, when my raid team was hitting its head against a boss, my best mage friend opened trade with me and gave me a Vial. I read the description and asked him if should use it right then. "Yes, absolutely." And I've stocked up on consumables since.

I view consumables as a form of customization, like gearing, or runecrafting. Each encounter is different, and by toting around a lot of consumable items I can customize my character for the demands of different bosses. It's infinitely cheaper than swapping out runes each fight and ideal if you don't have different gear sets. To me, finding the perfect combination of food, Vial and trinket so that I'm most effective as a healer, is one of my favorite games inside the game.

It's important to know that:
    • Potions, Serums and Philters don't share a cooldown.
    • Serums and Vials stack with player buffs
    • Philters DON'T stack with player buffs
    • Assault serums and Fortified Serums don't share a cooldown

Let's look at the different options we have.

POTIONS AND TONICS

A potion could be seen as a consumable medicin instantly giving you mana or health, or even giving you a damage shield. Tonics give you an over Time heal or mana.

Some interesting potions to bring to the raid are:

PHILTERS

Philters are a type of potion which can be thrown, dealing damage to or healing players within a certain area. There is also a philter that gives a 30 seconds buff and other ones that buff people raidwide, but sadly it doesn't stack with players buffs.

There is currently only one philter that I would see using in raids and that is:

Heroic Healing Philter

SERUMS AND VIALS

A Serum is an item that a character can drink that will apply an effect to the imbiber. Serums provide stat improvements. Some Serums count as an assault Serum or a Fortification Serum. Assault Serums generally increase your ability to affect others (+strength, +spell power), and Fortification Serums generally affect your ability to affect yourself (+armor, +mana regen, +int). Assault Serums do not stack with other Assault Serums and Fortification Serums do not stack with other Fortification Serums. This means if you currently have the effect of one Assault Serum, and you consume another Assault Serum, the new effect will replace the old one.

Vials count as both a Fortification Serum and an Assault Serum, so characters can only have the effect of one Vial at a time, and it prevents them from having other Serum effects. Vials have a duration of 1 hour. Vials are different from potions and Serums in that their effects do not disappear upon death.

For now, I'm not listing any Serums in the guide, these will be added later, after I did some testing, because most of them aren't very good. You can always type in Serum on http://www.riftdb.com to find a list.

Casters and Healers:

Heroic Spiritshatter Vial
    Heroic Brightsurge Vial
    Heroic Manasurge Vial

Melee

Heroic Heartshatter Vial
    Heroic Powersurge Vial

Tanks

Heroic Endurance Vial
    Heroic Fortified Vial

Resistance

Vial of Life Resistance
    Vial of Death Resistance
    Vial of Earth Resistance
    Vial of Fire Resistance
    Vial of Water Resistance
    Vile of Air Resistance

WHAT VIALS SHOULD I BE USING?

1) Comparing Heroic Brightsurge Vial with Heroic Spiritshatter Vial and Heroic Manasurge Vial.

Knowing that Clerics get 25% of Spellpower out of Intel and 75% out of Wisdom,
    1 int = 10 mana
    Knowing that Mages get 50% of Spellpower out if Intel and 50% out of Wisdom:

Heroic Brightsurge Vial is far better then the other two Vials, because this Vial gives you 40 Spellpower, some crit, 400 mana and some regen. So unless you don't have enough Focus, I would go with this vial.

2) Comparing Heroic Heartshatter Vial with Heroic Powersurge Vial

Knowing that Warriors get 75% of Attack Power out of Strength and 25% out of Dex
    Knowing that Rogues get 50% of Attack Power out of Stregth and 50% out of Dex

Then Heroic Powersurge Vial is by far better then Heroic Heartshatter Vial because it gives 40 Attack Power plus som crit, Block, Dodge and /or Parry depending on your build.

GEAR ENCHANTS AND FOOD

Each craft seems to have a few enchants to use on a certain piece of gear. They all last for 4 hours and persist through death, but some aren't very cheap to make. Weaponsmiths have melee damage enchants but also a silence that can be put on a bow or gun. Armorsmiths focus mostly on Tank enchants, and Artificing gives casters and healers some love. Outfitters have enchants that can be interesting for all.

There is also Food that slightly increases either Attack power, spell power or Endurance. These can be bought at the 3 high level quartermasters in Iron pine Peak, Stillmoore and Fortune Shore.

Weaponsmithing

Excuisite Whetstone
    Massive Weaponstone
    Noise cancelling coating

Armorsmithing

Razor-sharp Spikes
    Thick armor plating
    Thick Padding

Artificing

Burning manastone
    Burning Witchstone

Outfitting

Extra Sticky Grips
    Perfomance Insoles Faster running means faster dps AND faster running out of bad stuff.
    Lightweight Riding Chaps Don't think we'll be using these but listed it anyway.

Food

Gravemaker Steak: Zareph's Return in Stilmoore
    Icewatch Cupcake: Chancel of Labors in Iron Pine Peak
    Drake filet: Wyrmbane Rest in Shimmersand
    Proud officer of Imperium, Hammerknell Recruitment is OPEN. Casual gaming, Greenscale/ River of souls recruitment is now OPEN! Do check us out!
    http://www.imperium.co/images/sigs/members/signaturelight_Lanka.png

Great post. Thanks for taking the time!

Of course the other thing to consider is what each things requires to make, many of the highest end pots require 1 or 2 bits of the top few bits of planar dusts to make only 2 or 3 pots.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Very helpful. Thank you.
    Sparkwing:
    Phasechange
    Goatdude
    Stage
    Battlespork

Quote Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
    Of course the other thing to consider is what each things requires to make, many of the highest end pots require 1 or 2 bits of the top few bits of planar dusts to make only 2 or 3 pots.
    Then just use the Mighty versions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCheesy View Post
    Then just use the Mighty versions.
    which in 3 out of the four cases assuming you are meaning vials as i am, also require planar dusts.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
    which in 3 out of the four cases assuming you are meaning vials as i am, also require planar dusts.
    So it takes 1 planar dust to make 2 mighty brightsurges. Then it takes 2 planars to make 1 heroic. Sounds like a deal to me.

Plane Touched

Takes one planar to make 2 of the green vials, and 2planars to make 2 blue vials out of one green. The blue vials are probably not worth it currently considering the prices on the planars, but the green vials are cheap enough, you get 2 per items, cost like I don't know 5plats for two hours of +35 to both your primary stats, which is pretty solid.

Weaponstones and Witchstones are cheap as hell, providing you know a weaponsmith or an artificer. It's a bit RNG, but if you buy a stack of Sagebrush(on my server around 7.5plats) you'll get about 3 to 4 of these stones, which last four hours(usually a whole night) and you also get 3 or 4 of the lower level ones(10%crit dmg instead of 15% for example) if you want for ****ty nights or what not.

Overall they're kinda pricey for your average joe, but are powerful enough to give you a certain edge for raiding. Farming your own mats wouldn't take very long(maybe 10ish mins for a night of raiding), and once content is on farm you actually make quite a bit of money running raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    Takes one planar to make 2 of the green vials, and 2planars to make 2 blue vials out of one green. The blue vials are probably not worth it currently considering the prices on the planars, but the green vials are cheap enough, you get 2 per items, cost like I don't know 5plats for two hours of +35 to both your primary stats, which is pretty solid.
    depends on the pot.

and also, its all well saying 5 plat but when thats 1/10 of my total its still a fair amount.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to write this. It should certainly be stickied.

It's not always easy finding everything that you need in Rift because of how the items are distributed across the world and not always well documented.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Bumping
    Proud officer of Imperium, Hammerknell Recruitment is OPEN. Casual gaming, Greenscale/ River of souls recruitment is now OPEN! Do check us out!
    http://www.imperium.co/images/sigs/members/signaturelight_Lanka.png

Plane Touched

Guild member randomly traded me the +450 armor pot (serum?) while we were in a dungeon the other day. I didn't know it existed prior to that. I haven't created my apoth alt yet. I'll def re-read through your post when I'm on internet that doesn't block 90% of websites.
    My dungeon experiences and builds as a 2h Cleric tank are posted on my blog. All T1 and most T2 expert dungeons complete.

I've also posted the coordinates for all exploration achievements on my website (redesign in the works): http://tehkrizz.net/RIFT/exploration.php

Depending on your server and how much your guild does expert and raid rifts, you could have hardly any access to eternal planar dusts. So Mighty/Heroic Serums are kind of out of the question for a lot of raiders right now.

Also, raids are kind of easy right now, and there are no real dps checks (haven't done RoS yet, that's tomorrow).

Plane Touched

You can get Eternal Planar Dusts from the 50rifts in Stillmoor and Shimmersand. No need for souls or any fancy stuff(well in shimmer now most rifts are major so you might need 2 other people). I had like 50 from leveling 49-50 in Shimmersand rifts.

Thumbs up

Just wanted to say that this is a brilliantly written guide. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this for everyone. great info that's not easy to find anywhere else. you have done yourself proud.

Closed Thread