+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mortuous Shadeshard

Rift Disciple

Default Mortuous Shadeshard

This greater planar essence from death raid rifts is absolutely a piece of trash. It has parsed 482 damage on the last boss of a water raid rift that I did 150k on. This is pretty unacceptable for an item of its quality.

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty View Post
    This greater planar essence from death raid rifts is absolutely a piece of trash. It has parsed 482 damage on the last boss of a water raid rift that I did 150k on. This is pretty unacceptable for an item of its quality.
    Is this the one that gives your autoattacks a chance to attack again? It was obvious that item was awful the moment our guild saw it. Purple doesn't mean perfect.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    Is this the one that gives your autoattacks a chance to attack again? It was obvious that item was awful the moment our guild saw it. Purple doesn't mean perfect.
    If it had a proc rate along the lines of the windfury totem from vanilla WoW, then it'd be amazing...
    Thermal
    <Implacable>
    Defiant Eth Rogue

Telaran

I replaced mine with a crit lesser. Every greater in the game is virtually useless.

Rift Disciple

I beg to differ.

For healing classes both crystal vine or the enhanced "frozen deep one tear" that you get from water raids are both fantastic. As a bard, chloro, or other aoe healer, these things can do a lot more than a few dozen points of crit or ap/sp could have IMHO.

Also, I'm not sure of what the proc rate is for that stone (4xx dmg could be 20 attacks or could be 200 :/) but it seems like it would be most beneficial for a rogue who's % procs activate on white damage too.

That, and a few of the class specific, expensive as hell, inscribed greater essences are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoon View Post
    I beg to differ.

For healing classes both crystal vine or the enhanced "frozen deep one tear" that you get from water raids are both fantastic. As a bard, chloro, or other aoe healer, these things can do a lot more than a few dozen points of crit or ap/sp could have IMHO.
    Subject doesn't say "Hailstone Tideshard" does it? No. The Subject, "mortuous shadeshard" greater is the fail one. The OP is describing how one particular greater essence is vendor trash and is completely correct.

Also, I'm not sure of what the proc rate is for that stone (4xx dmg could be 20 attacks or could be 200 :/) but it seems like it would be most beneficial for a rogue who's % procs activate on white damage too.
    You are not reading. His total was 150,000damage, so that essence added 0.32% damage. Asking for proc rate does not matter when you have % of damage done information, autoattacks do not benefit from attack power and are generally about 8% of damage to begin with. It does proc from poisons and from sab charges, but so what. A lesser essence adds more than 0.32% damage.

That, and a few of the class specific, expensive as hell, inscribed greater essences are pretty good.
    No they aren't "pretty good." They range from awful to moderately OK. Here are the few ones worth considering among ~40 different greater vendor essences: AoE healing cleric +52heal adds 2% healing, +50% ward one is nice for purifiers (but the soul sucks to begin with as it doesn't scale with SP, so who cares), shaman one is +1% dps, druid one is +2% dps but all mage 50inscribed ones are awful.
    Last edited by Cassin; 04-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Rift Disciple

"Subject doesn't say "Hailstone Tideshard" does it? No. The Subject, "mortuous shadeshard" greater is the fail one. The OP is describing how one particular greater essence is vendor trash and is completely correct."

Yes, I realize this, but the poster above me said that all greater essences were trash and should be replaced with lessers instead. This could be easily gathered by the fact that I mention stat buffs in the same sentence.

"You are not reading. His total was 150,000damage, so that essence added 0.32% damage. Asking for proc rate does not matter when you have % of damage done information, autoattacks do not benefit from attack power and are generally about 8% of damage to begin with. It does proc from poisons and from sab charges, but so what. A lesser essence adds more than 0.32% damage."

It's not the damage done from the stone alone that's important. It's the damage done from the procs activated by the shadestone. If I have a poison/enchantment that procs 20% of the time, and I attack twice every second without the stone, using a flat average you should proc that poison every 2.5 seconds right? Depending on how often mortuous procs, the amount of enchantment damage could increase quite a bit. I mean, if it procs once every four attacks, during the course of a minute you'll be hitting six extra procs average. Say a poison does 100 dmg, thats 10 extra dps. I personally think thats a decent increase given it's just one stone.

Lets take that number, 10dps, and stretch it over 150 seconds (assuming this 150k dmg was done maintaining a 1k dps the entire time) and you have 1500 dmg. That's 1% of that 150k damage, that could be higher depending on the damage of your procs, or lower based on the actual proc rate of the stone itself.

That is why the proc rate of the stone is important in an overly wordy and messy end-of-the-day paragraph.

More attacks also means more crits, more crits means more crit procs and a higher chance of uptime on many rogue abilities (and even paragon abilities for warriors).

In short, I'm saying it activates rogue abilities, not that rogue abilities activate it.

No they aren't "pretty good." They range from awful to moderately OK. Here are the few ones worth considering among ~40 different greater vendor essences: AoE healing cleric +52heal adds 2% healing, +50% ward one is nice for purifiers (but the soul sucks to begin with as it doesn't scale with SP, so who cares), shaman one is +1% dps, druid one is +2% dps but all mage 50inscribed ones are awful.

I honestly don't think the warlock one is awful, 111dmg per dot isn't bad. That, and many of the greaters are guarenteed procs, unlike many chance based ones. Most might not be worth the raid rift time investment, and some even the spot, I agree, but not all of them are horrible. But this is beside the point. I only brought the soul greaters up to once again defend the idea that greaters are completely worthless.
    Last edited by Thoon; 04-17-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Rift Disciple

The procs are self contained. Also, I just got the Zephyr Stormshard, which doesn't seem to decrease my threat. What's with these stupid greaters being awful?

Rift Disciple

What do you mean by "self-contained"?

Do you mean that it does not have the ability to proc other items, despite being an extra bit of white damage? Or something else?

Rift Disciple

It's not white damage. The damage from it is called "Mortuous Shadeshard". It's exactly like a trinket with a damage proc.

Rift Disciple

Well, in that case, I concede my point on the Mortuous Shadesource. It's a piece of ****.

Soulwalker

This is quite simple - it is just bugged. So i did some parsing - just on the dummies:

2H - 20% proc
    Dual wield - 10% proc

That isn't that bad, as it is a ~20% increase to your autoattack dmg. Not great, but not horrid. But here is the kicker....that was afk parsing on a dummy. It is bugged so that if you are using skills it DOES NOT PROC. I ran it through a T2 instance and it proc'd a total of 15 times....

Needless to say it got replaced real quick. Kinda sad...

There was some mention by the devs of a detected issue with auto attacks not firing properly all the time when abilities are being used.

Devs are looking at that and hopefully fixes this issue.
    Tracker - P40 Rogue on Seastone (defiant) - 51 MM / 15 NB / 0 RS
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

+ Reply to Thread