+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expert AP Snapping Turtle Boss Trash

Rift Disciple

Default Expert AP Snapping Turtle Boss Trash

Hi Guys:
    I'm currently a rogue tank for a group of friends that enjoy running T2's together. We have got AP on lock-down more or less but still want quite a few items from there (dagger off 3rd boss just won't drop). However, the only portions of the instance that we can't reliably figure out are the 6 or so "snapping turtle boss trash pulls" as we have begun to call them. You know, the little guys that look like enemies from Mario. No matter what strategy we use, we can't seem to randomly get "f***ed" on many pull attempts. They seem to flip out if I use my memory teleport after a pull. Their charge/stun combo either chain stuns our healer immediately and he dies, chain stuns the healer and then I die as the tank, or chain stun myself as the tank and I can't get any of my rogue tanking buffs up and I die. Or of course they just decide to target one of our dps and immediately wtfbbqpwn him. Are there any reliable strategies for these guys that don't rely on random luck? Should everyone spread out as much as possible? Literally 90-100% of our wipes in AP are from these little bast@rds. We now basically have the other rogue just go bard specifically for everyone of these pulls, and then switch back.

Banned

General strategy is to stack and don't attack until tank has aggro. If you pre-hot, you will probably get hit by the first wave of shell-shocks too, so unless you're a promode healer and can handle it, don't. Just have an instant cast ready for the tank. After that, they'll randomly target people in the target for shellshocks still, but it's not too bad.

Shield of Telara

Have the entire group stand in the middle of them (assuming you don't pull a water elemental too...those have a frontal cleave I believe). What they're doing is charging people who are not in melee range.

Rift Disciple

Alright cool, so we have the basic right idea then. Stack up for the pull. It just seems difficult to both establish good AOE aggro on them and get my tanking buffs up while making sure the healer doesn't get chain targeted or pull threat. I'm just gonna pop damage reduction and dodge cd's before each of the pulls so I can spam more AOE threat and not worry as much about getting guarded steel up quickly after riftbarrier.

I call them Scuttlebutts.

We have just given in to just having offheal switch by a rogue,cleric, or mage in party supporting main healer. It's not that we need the heals, its just you don't know if "Scuttlebutt" will stun the bajeezus out of your healer and cause a wipe.

So instead of taking a risk of wipe..dual heal to prevent scuttlebutt wipes.

Telaran

The turtles charge whoever isn't in melee range and has threat on them. Its pretty easy to avoid, don't nuke/heal until you are ontop of the tank and you won't get charged.

Being proskii and casting instants cause your amazing while running to the tank = gg no remake.

Champion

dont be scared to use moves like sidestep before pulling them as well (as your rogue tank I see) this means the healer can get away with not throwing heals and getting agro until you've established yourself.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    dont be scared to use moves like sidestep before pulling them as well (as your rogue tank I see) this means the healer can get away with not throwing heals and getting agro until you've established yourself.
    yeah, this is what I'm just gonna do every time I pull them now...can't risk the healer getting threat because I need heals before I can establish any threat or tanking buffs

Rift Disciple

Rogues are offensive tanks, we dont do well with making things come to us.

Blits, GS, Distortion while pulling them back towards your group (which is hopefully running towards you). Meet in middle, tank and spank.

You have about 5-6 seconds before the first charge goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
    Alright cool, so we have the basic right idea then. Stack up for the pull. It just seems difficult to both establish good AOE aggro on them and get my tanking buffs up while making sure the healer doesn't get chain targeted or pull threat. I'm just gonna pop damage reduction and dodge cd's before each of the pulls so I can spam more AOE threat and not worry as much about getting guarded steel up quickly after riftbarrier.
    You have it backwards. Pop your dodge cd then pull and put up guarded steel. Then you do your aoe aggro skills. Don't forget guarded steel adds 40% threat and not having it up is nearly a waste of an aoe threat skill. It is 100% worth it on this pull to just tell your dps to wait 3 seconds rather than dying.

He who conquers the left side rules the world

Plane Touched

Stuns and disarms... heck even cc one if you can.

As a warrior tank they are still a pain, but I have one aoe stun, one single target stun and 2 disarms. I know rogues don't have quite that selection of control moves, but hopefully your group has people who were intelligent enough to spec for stuns, disarms and such. It is amazing how many people think stuns and other debuffs are useless on a dps spec.

Rift Chaser

turtles? They look more like rock bugs to me.

Rift Master

They are easy. Just stand right on top of the tank. Not a step away, right on top of them. Then the tank pulls and builds AE aggro on them. A warrior should not have any problem to build enough aggro if specced properly. Rogues might have slight problems but it is manageable, just give him a little more time before AE-nuking.
    Then just kill them. They hit a warrior tank for like 300 and the only thing they can do is a charge if you didn't stack properly.

Easy as hell... they were much harder back when a single one charging could wipe the whole group
    They are only hard when people don't coordinate properly.
    Last edited by rofltehcat; 04-14-2011 at 04:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread