+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How much toughness is tough enough?

Default How much toughness is tough enough?

I hear that 50 toughness is the minimum for T1 experts.

At 50 toughness the tooltip reads something like "reduces the extra damage from critical hits by 100%". I'm at 61 right now and wondering if it matters.

Thus my question becomes - is it useful to have MORE than 50 toughness? How can you reduce "extra damage" by more than 100%?

Either the tooltip is misleading, and having lots and lots of toughness is good, or 50 seems to be the max amount anyone would care about.

Please let me know your findings. Thanks guys!
    Spoiled like you wouldn't believe.
    Casual, badass gamer.
    Bored of WoW, not much time to play anyway.
    Deleted 6 level 80s before Cata. Good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by Raakk View Post
    I hear that 50 toughness is the minimum for T1 experts.

At 50 toughness the tooltip reads something like "reduces the extra damage from critical hits by 100%". I'm at 61 right now and wondering if it matters.

Thus my question becomes - is it useful to have MORE than 50 toughness? How can you reduce "extra damage" by more than 100%?

Either the tooltip is misleading, and having lots and lots of toughness is good, or 50 seems to be the max amount anyone would care about.

Please let me know your findings. Thanks guys!
    I just had it clarified myself.

T1 - Mobs have 100% crit bonus modifier.
    T2 - Mobs have a 200% crit bonus modifier.
    Raid - Mobs have a 300% crit bonus modifier.

What 50, 100, 150 toughness requirements do respectively is to negate all of the crit modifier.

As it stands, there is no reason to be above the minimum for the content you are in. So, once you get to 150, you're set.

The only people who can answer your question legitimately are The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Rift Disciple

I have 171 toughness w/o the toughness rune or essences. T1 crits still hit just as hard as non crits.

Going above toughness cap is as useless as going above the hit cap.

That being said, the next toughness cap will most likely be 200.

As explained to me:

Toughness: Used by tanking souls to reduce the likelihood of getting critically hit.
    Hit: Used by melee and ranged physical dps to reduce the chance of your abilities missing/parry/dodged.
    Focus: Used by magic users to reduce the chance of your spells being resisted.

T1 = min 50 toughness/ hit/ focus (depending on your calling)
    T2: min 100 toughness/ hit/ focus
    10 Man raids: min 150 toughness / hit/ focus
    20 man raids: min 200 toughness / hit /focus

There really is no bonus to being over the 20 man raid cap at this time. You can also be a bit under cap depending on your role but best to be at caps. For example a tank wants to be at or above cap up to the 200 toughness. Melee and ranged want to be at cap but being a little under wont completely make you ineffective. You will get more misses, dodges, parrys, resists but say if your at 180 in Greenscale you can still hit him but expect it to effect your over all dps.
    Last edited by Datku; 04-13-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Toughness does not reduce the chance to be crit, only the amount of damage from the crit, so you'll still be crit, it just won't hit any harder.

Also, 200 is not the cap for Raids, it's closer to 220. It is 44% to be exactly. Keep in mind, some talent trees add +hit, such as the Champion tree giving 5% to hit, requiring only 39% from hit rating for greenscale.

Plane Touched

You only need 150 toughness to tank raids, not 200.

From our tests and parse results, hit cap is only 200, not 220+.

Quote Originally Posted by Emoge View Post
    Toughness does not reduce the chance to be crit, only the amount of damage from the crit, so you'll still be crit, it just won't hit any harder.

Also, 200 is not the cap for Raids, it's closer to 220. It is 44% to be exactly. Keep in mind, some talent trees add +hit, such as the Champion tree giving 5% to hit, requiring only 39% from hit rating for greenscale.
    You don't need more than 40% (200) right now to clear through GreenScale. River of Souls is supposed to be easier than GreenScale as well. So 200 is the most you will need till they add something above GreenScale.

Thanks everyone for your insight! It definitely helps to better understand the stat.
    Spoiled like you wouldn't believe.
    Casual, badass gamer.
    Bored of WoW, not much time to play anyway.
    Deleted 6 level 80s before Cata. Good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    I just had it clarified myself.

T1 - Mobs have 100% crit bonus modifier.
    T2 - Mobs have a 200% crit bonus modifier.
    Raid - Mobs have a 300% crit bonus modifier.

What 50, 100, 150 toughness requirements do respectively is to negate all of the crit modifier.

As it stands, there is no reason to be above the minimum for the content you are in. So, once you get to 150, you're set.
    I really wish Trion would make a post explaining this to everyone. I get f-ing tired of explaining my gear to people.

People: Why don't you have a +20 toughness on your chest?
    Me: Because I already have 108 toughness.
    People: But more toughness is better.
    Me: No it isn't.
    People: Of course it is. That 20 toughness would really lower the damage your taking on melee bosses
    Me: *explains the +% to crit per tier*
    People: Yeah, but still, more toughness is better
    Me: ... *head bounces off keyboard*

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Carolius View Post
    I really wish Trion would make a post explaining this to everyone. I get f-ing tired of explaining my gear to people.

People: Why don't you have a +20 toughness on your chest?
    Me: Because I already have 108 toughness.
    People: But more toughness is better.
    Me: No it isn't.
    People: Of course it is. That 20 toughness would really lower the damage your taking on melee bosses
    Me: *explains the +% to crit per tier*
    People: Yeah, but still, more toughness is better
    Me: ... *head bounces off keyboard*
    Truth! I wish there was MUCH more official documentation from Trion.

Also worth noting...unless you're tanking, or in the line of fire, you really don't need those capped toughness scores.

Although other stats would be best buffed from tier to tier based on your role.

Champion

if your not tanking you should have no toughness as toughness tends to replace more needed stats for non tanks :P

I've also heard the rumour that greenscale requires 220 but arguments always start when its stated ><

Quote Originally Posted by Datku View Post
    You don't need more than 40% (200) right now to clear through GreenScale. River of Souls is supposed to be easier than GreenScale as well. So 200 is the most you will need till they add something above GreenScale.
    I actually noticed I was still getting dodged with 200. After I got 220 I haven't been dodged once in Greenscale so I personally think that the hit cap is 220, not 200, but 200 is close enough to only get dodged about 4-5 times on a boss so the last 20 hit is not game breaking to be missing out on.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ganrax View Post
    I actually noticed I was still getting dodged with 200. After I got 220 I haven't been dodged once in Greenscale so I personally think that the hit cap is 220, not 200, but 200 is close enough to only get dodged about 4-5 times on a boss so the last 20 hit is not game breaking to be missing out on.
    ^ I get dodged at 200, hasnt happened ever at 225 (my current hit)

It does seem an odd progression though, 50->100->220. Our guild requires 200 to raid.

Shield of Telara

I get the odd resist at ~100 focus in T2. I prefer to run with 130 focus to basically eliminate misses. So it's not really 0->100->220 for hit/focus. It's probably more like 25->125->225 or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast