+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manticores in Expert KB

Telaran

Default Manticores in Expert KB

Why....WHY must they be so damn ******ed to fight?

Warrior tank Way of the Mountain tank and spank in the middle. If you die over and over with that tactic time to find new healer and or new tank.
    WWW.RAVENLEGION.NET

Casual RL first guild but we still get sh*t done.

Shield of Telara

Stack in the notch in the tree stump. A strong chloro or chloro+bard can heal it easy even through the AE.

Ascendant

There's no way I would ever reserve a role slot for a build suited to tanking one 5-man encounter. Way of the Mountain requires 20 points in Paragon. Virtually useless for any other encounter. There are ways to manage twin manticores without having to rely on such a crutch build, but they're tricky. It's not a fun fight. It's an obnoxious fight. It's an irritating fight. In my personal opinion, it's poor encounter design. But if it's the daily and people need to do it for the plaques, I go in and tank it and we try to make the best of it.

Rift Disciple

Way of the mountain spec is useful many places, not just manticore.

For manticores, pull using a bow from the far left, have your group stand behind tree stump and los both manticores so they get close enough to aggro both. use ranged moves like shield throw and light's hammer on the caster manticore to build aggro while group dps' the other manticore from the side. You can get knocked back, its no big deal, dps just shouldn't run behind because of back cleave.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    There's no way I would ever reserve a role slot for a build suited to tanking one 5-man encounter. Way of the Mountain requires 20 points in Paragon. Virtually useless for any other encounter. There are ways to manage twin manticores without having to rely on such a crutch build, but they're tricky. It's not a fun fight. It's an obnoxious fight. It's an irritating fight. In my personal opinion, it's poor encounter design. But if it's the daily and people need to do it for the plaques, I go in and tank it and we try to make the best of it.
    Except KB #5, IT #6, DSM #3 and #5, RD #1 and #2 and RotF #3, of course then.
    While all are to varying degree easily doable without, they either trivializes the damage output (such as IT #6, who deals majority of damage through KB's) or makes positions that much more easier to hold.

To the matter at hand, there's a small hole on the left tree trunk where you can tank them with all standing inside without the need of KB immunity or anything. You can also, if you have the setup, split-tank them and slowly kill one at the time. There's plenty of strategies to go around.

Telaran

Oh I know the ways to kill them but, the group I was in with today, while we rolled all the other bosses pretty standard no matter what we did we always fell to the two *******s and their knockbacks, what really kept wiping us was I(the healer) kept getting charged and obliterated by the damn dot that puts on you, like that crap is even necessary with the aoes and knockbacks.

That fight is just really lame compared to everything else I've seen, hell I'd rather have another fight like the treant in RotF then deal with those 2 manticores. They are just supremely annoying.

Rift Disciple

I tank just about every boss encounter with my Way of the Mountain spec since... 20pts for WotM and with 1 more point you get Bend Like the Reed... Which is effing awesome against anything that hits you with melee.

For example...

A 3minute wipe against the 2nd last boss of RD Expert...
    Tanks damage taken: 98,000 damage

A 6 minute kill against the 2nd last boss of RD Expert with me tanking in WotM spec with BLtR...
    Tanks damage taken: 94,000 damage.

For those who did not realize, I took as much damage in 6 minutes as the other tank did in 3... all thanks to Bend Like the Reed <3

The Sprint is also very awesome for the last boss of RD Expert when he "bugs out" and casts Blinding Darkness right after you've killed the adds resulting in no time to gain distance during the cast for when he goes big... I just wait for just before he goes hulkmode and sprint away, taking virtually no damage at all. Though the Sprint is not needed when he does his normal Blinding Darkness followed by Hulkmode which enables you to just start running away when he's casting.

And yeah, this spec makes the Manticores easymode. When I see the group going low on HP I just pop Bend Like the Reed and give the healer some time to heal the group up.

The spec also owns when tanking the last boss of KB Expert ;)

Telaran

Bah the last boss isn't all THAT hard, dodge the spikes and toss some heals.
    Last edited by Vahnkiljoy; 04-13-2011 at 01:53 AM.

This is the first gear check you will get.

We use to have to do this fight with a tank and a cleric tank (Justicar) both on seperate mobs we died loads of times before we got it right and then it was more luck then judgement.

Now we are all better geared we canter through this with 1 tank and it is no brainer fight.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post

I have a Pally/Para/Warlord Way of the Mountain spec that at first I just used for these specific fights but because it actually can do some nice DPS....especially AE, I have started using it more and more in experts for clearing trash and easier bosses. Most of the time I don't even think the healers realize its not a full tank spec.

I went with a PuG and the tank just tanked them where they spawned and I was able to heal through it easy enough with a Bard offhealing.
    Thelen 50 Cleric
    GM of Dexteram Telara

Rift Disciple

The manticore fight is the first T1 fight that actually checks player knowledge imo. Do you have a rogue that can use misdirect to dump threat on the tank? No? Does your cleric or mage have a pet they can send to tank the caster manticore until your tank gets aggro? No? Can you send a bard in tank gear to absorb the initial charge so your tank isn't stunned so the manticore doesn't go **** your healers? No? Does your tank have way of the mountain to avoid KB? No? Can your tank LOS behind a tree to bring both manticores within melee range so he can pick up aggro on both? No? Can your healers heal your tank through eating fire and getting knocked back into the tree stump? No?

Guess what, there are 7 strategies your team can't use because nobody planned accordingly. There are at least 10 ways to deal with the manticores but if you fail to have options and flexibility they will roflstomp you.

huh? Tanked this thing on my justicar right next to them, just using ranged tuants on the caster and burning meele down, i pretty much let him Kb me a bit and just circle strafed so he would KB back to the other one, then back away, etc etc...not very hard, at all, that was with 2 bluegeared mages, 1 rouge with half epics half crafted blue, and and a mage healer rocking t1 gear. Yes i am full t1 tank geared, but its not very hard to do yall. If a single mage can keep the entire group topped off then its not that bad.

Maybe warrior tanks just suck O.o jk lol.

Rift Disciple

We routinely 1 shot the manticore twins with a cleric tank.

Whole group gets in the notch in the tree, justicar pulls, ducks into notch. When the manticore arrive, justicar pops AE taunt, and the group goes up onto the rear hill behind the mob.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast