+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is harder? Tanking, Healing, or DPSing?

Default Which is harder? Tanking, Healing, or DPSing?

My friend thinks DPS is the hardest job in an instance...am I the only one who finds this absurd to the point of laughable?
    Rockwald
    Defiant Cleric
    Seastone

Telaran

DPS is as hard as backseat driving. You feel like you have the hardest job in the world ;)

Shadowlander

I think it depends on the boss you're fighting. Some bosses require the tank to soak the aoe's, so dps has to run in and out, unless they go strictly range. Some bosses are easier to heal than others. So it really depends on which bosses he's been fighting. If he's been fighting all of them, then he's wrong. If its the handful of very melee unfriendly fights, then he would be right.

Telaran

I'm going to say healing (although that's my main spec, so I am biased).

Every mechanic that dps has to avoid a healer has to avoid. Also add in healing and cures and battle rezes. Not to mention staring at health bars in addition to needing to pay attention to the mechanics of the fight (to know when to move out of a spell, run away, los, etc.).

I can understand the debate between Tanking and Healing. IMO Tanking is the hardest. But I think without a doubt DPS (by average) is the easiest of the 3 roles.
    Rockwald
    Defiant Cleric
    Seastone

#1 Tanking\Healing
    #3 DPS

Tanking and Healing swap as far as which is most difficult and when imo. DPS...cake.

Shadowlander

Default Easy

#1 Rogue Tanking (healing said rogue tank in some situations)
    #2 Cleric Warrior Tanking/Healing
    #3 Waking up in the morning
    #4 Pouring Cereal
    #5 DPS

--Pharazon (lvl 50 rogue tank)
    Last edited by Pharra; 04-12-2011 at 08:24 AM.

God it feels so good to hear logical replies. I've been having the dumbest argument with him for the past half hour.

He has never tanked on his Rogue before, and when he hits 50 he's gonna roll a Riftstalker and start tanking. I said he probably would want to get some practice Riftstalker tanking before experts, but then he said, "Tanking is easy."

then later "DPS is the hardest".

What ensued was the dumbest argument ever.
    Rockwald
    Defiant Cleric
    Seastone

Depends on the fight and strat being used.

In a fight where everything stands still, everyone's job is easy. Otherwise, it just depends.

Depends on the fight. Otherwise healer + tank are way harder then dps.
    For example GSB second boss. He is more stresfull to dps then he is to the tank or healer.

I realize not all fights are the same. I'm more asking for the averages.
    Rockwald
    Defiant Cleric
    Seastone

Champion of Telara

Ive only played a Warrior tank and Warrior DPS so i would say.......

1) Healing is the hardest (there is a reason ive only played tank and dps)
    2) Tanking
    10) DPS

In terms of mechanics and reaction time, I think healing is the hardest job. Having to not die in a fire yourself, but keep a tank alive on top of it, all while watching your mana bar, worrying about cleanses/dispels, etc etc. It's hard, and a lot of healers have told me they have to think of their UI as another boss to fight (not just in Rift).

I don't think tanking is quite that hard in terms of game mechanics and reaction time, but one thing that makes tanking rough is that you are the de facto leader of the group in most cases. You have give instructions on boss strategies, crowd control assignments, kill order, pace of the instance clear, etc. That's not a big deal in static or guild groups, but in a pickup it can be very difficult.

DPS: it's not hard. Keep up your rotation as best as you can, and manage your cooldowns, while not taking unnecessary damage.
    Main: Avogadro, Defiant (Eth) Warrior
    Tanking it while you're spanking it
    Member of <Suspiria> on the Threesprings (NA PvE) server

Chloros and bards have it hardest
    we heal AND dps! ............

Shadowlander

Not sure why anyone says tanking is hard... Tanks have to avoid the least and have the easiest rotations, the only 'difficult' part about it is watching for stray mobs which is arguably the DPS's responsibility to not pull aggro.

DPS has to be sure to prioritize and in a lot of situations change up their rotation based on the fights movements/mob abilities aggro dumps and whatnot.
    A tank in a typical fight sits there and hits the mob till he has to MAYBE move it out of some aoe, MAYBE pick up another mob, MAYBE use a cd when they're low.

A good tank also isn't as obvious, meaning the ceiling is low, almost entirely based on gear. Good DPS have numbers to back them up (potentially 4x that of a bad dps) not to mention taking less avoidable damage and using CC.

People seem to only think DPS is easiest because a lot of people do it (as you only need 1 tank and 1 healer in a party) and the DPS seem to be less important to a runs success, purely because you don't have a visual of the DPS failing aside from the fight seeming to last a little longer, while if the tank dies you assume they or the healer are not good.

Anywho, my list would go:
    #1 Healing (purely because they pay attention to what the DPS are watching and on top of that have another set of things to pay attention to, mana/health bars and debuffs)
    #2 DPS (more to watch for, a more complicated (and important) rotation)
    #3 Tank (Insignificant rotation, less to watch for in most fights)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast