+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expert Charmer's Caldera

Mok
    Telaran

Question Expert Charmer's Caldera

Recently, my expert group has started Tier 2 dungeons, after all of us have geared our main spec as much as we can through Tier 1s, while starting on our off spec. We normally run a set up with a Chloro, MageDPS, WarriorTank, Bard/RangerDPS(Switching to full bard on bosses), Rogue DPS

So we roll on into Expert CC, beating each boss by switching out our group make up, switching our tank with a Rogue tank when necessary.

The first four bosses we can handle, but the problem arises on the final boss in there, Caelia the Stormtouched. We all know the fight, and I consider all of us competent, it is just the lightning cone that she does which murders everyone affected by it if they have a few of the debuffs on them. We spent about 2 hours on this boss the first time we came in here, then we just gave up since we were slightly annoyed (understatement).

Last night, though, we finally killed her after our Bard had to leave, and we switched our group make-up: Chloro, Cleric, MageDPS, WarriorDPS, RogueTank.

This brings up some questions:
    1. Should we have an expert group where its 1 of each calling+1 more, so that we can have a cleric healer when necessary?
    2. Is there anyway to get rid of the air damage debuff (windburn?) that the adds put on targets?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mok View Post
    Recently, my expert group has started Tier 2 dungeons, after all of us have geared our main spec as much as we can through Tier 1s, while starting on our off spec. We normally run a set up with a Chloro, MageDPS, WarriorTank, Bard/RangerDPS(Switching to full bard on bosses), Rogue DPS

So we roll on into Expert CC, beating each boss by switching out our group make up, switching our tank with a Rogue tank when necessary.

The first four bosses we can handle, but the problem arises on the final boss in there, Caelia the Stormtouched. We all know the fight, and I consider all of us competent, it is just the lightning cone that she does which murders everyone affected by it if they have a few of the debuffs on them. We spent about 2 hours on this boss the first time we came in here, then we just gave up since we were slightly annoyed (understatement).

Last night, though, we finally killed her after our Bard had to leave, and we switched our group make-up: Chloro, Cleric, MageDPS, WarriorDPS, RogueTank.

This brings up some questions:
    1. Should we have an expert group where its 1 of each calling+1 more, so that we can have a cleric healer when necessary?
    2. Is there anyway to get rid of the air damage debuff (windburn?) that the adds put on targets?
    1) When the adds are out, group the adds up and have everyone pile directly on top of them. Make sure this includes pets. This reduces their charging around and stacking debuffs.

2) When the adds are about to die, if you don't know the pattern (its set -- she will face the same direction for each subsequent rotation every attempt -- ie first rotation she faces northeast.. second rotation I think northwest, and so on/so forth. Been a while since i've gotten more than 2) stand right on top of her and immediately move... with 2 healers (chloro/cleric), you shouldn't have a problem tossing out a group heal or two here just for extra padding.

3) Rinse, repeat. Honestly, the lightning should be the least of your worries. Even single healing it with no support really presents no huge issues unless people are slow/unfamiliar.

1) the 4+1 group make up is not required but certainly makes things easier AND you get to make sure the gear is picked up at least once....effing chain...

2) If you are using a rogue tank have him aoe taunt the adds into a nice little stack and have the grp stand on the stack...this does not have to be on top of caelia. If warrior tanking have the warrior dance around for a few secs gathering them into a nice compact pile and the group stands on the adds. With 0-2 debuffs you can take most of a WL wave w/o heals and can certainly take it long enough to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilrasis View Post
    2) When the adds are about to die, if you don't know the pattern (its set -- she will face the same direction for each subsequent rotation every attempt -- ie first rotation she faces northeast.. second rotation I think northwest, and so on/so forth. Been a while since i've gotten more than 2) stand right on top of her and immediately move... with 2 healers (chloro/cleric), you shouldn't have a problem tossing out a group heal or two here just for extra padding.
    Not true. She will randomly pick a direction every time for the first round then turns clockwise after for the remaining 3 rounds. Hell she uses the same direction for the entire encounter sometimes.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nefaruis View Post
    Not true. She will randomly pick a direction every time for the first round then turns clockwise after for the remaining 3 rounds. Hell she uses the same direction for the entire encounter sometimes.
    Go wipe to her a couple of times and see! We have run several groups through with the "not hit by lightning" achievement using just this, and it hasn't failed us yet.
    Last edited by Xilrasis; 04-11-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Mok
    Telaran

1) When the adds are out, group the adds up and have everyone pile directly on top of them. Make sure this includes pets. This reduces their charging around and stacking debuffs.

3) Rinse, repeat. Honestly, the lightning should be the least of your worries. Even single healing it with no support really presents no huge issues unless people are slow/unfamiliar.
    I think the pet might have been what was killing us, as I told the MageDPS to switch to the ranged pet so that the debuff wouldnt affect myself or our warrior if she used the melee pet, since it seems like they can get the debuff cast upon them as well.

1) the 4+1 group make up is not required but certainly makes things easier AND you get to make sure the gear is picked up at least once....effing chain...

2) If you are using a rogue tank have him aoe taunt the adds into a nice little stack and have the grp stand on the stack...this does not have to be on top of caelia. If warrior tanking have the warrior dance around for a few secs gathering them into a nice compact pile and the group stands on the adds. With 0-2 debuffs you can take most of a WL wave w/o heals and can certainly take it long enough to get out of it.
    Haven't thought about the riftstalker AoE pulling to stack all the mobs, normally I just do my AoE-shadow step then aoe threat builder and everyone stacks on the boss while AoE'ing all the adds down.

Definitely agree with you on the gear though, our MageDPS was saying in vent a few days ago "Man, I should roll melee with all this gear that is dropping.", then in the past few experts all I see are chain and focus items dropping.

Thanks for the suggestions, if I can convince my group to do CC one more time deffinitely going to try this way, although they may just want to call it quits after the fourth boss :S

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mok View Post
    I think the pet might have been what was killing us, as I told the MageDPS to switch to the ranged pet so that the debuff wouldnt affect myself or our warrior if she used the melee pet, since it seems like they can get the debuff cast upon them as well.

Haven't thought about the riftstalker AoE pulling to stack all the mobs, normally I just do my AoE-shadow step then aoe threat builder and everyone stacks on the boss while AoE'ing all the adds down.

Definitely agree with you on the gear though, our MageDPS was saying in vent a few days ago "Man, I should roll melee with all this gear that is dropping.", then in the past few experts all I see are chain and focus items dropping.

Thanks for the suggestions, if I can convince my group to do CC one more time deffinitely going to try this way, although they may just want to call it quits after the fourth boss :S
    Also, with pets -- keep in mind the whirling tempest CAN target pets, so have your chloro ideally pay attention to the boss's target and if it targets a pet with it get ready to target it and cleanse it. This can be especially deadly going into an add phase.

It's been a long time since we lost anyone to the lightning. To people not pointing their butts to the wall after that phase, sure. But we tend to run the zone asleep.

Anyway!

We haven't had too much of a problem with static discharge from the adds in a while- usually they drop pretty fast with shrapnel charge spam and our cleric in a senticar spec.
    Roxina - 50 Kelari Mage - Wolfsbane

Plane Touched

Can I get a few more people to confirm / disprove her using her lightning starting in the same spot each time? I started* to think that was the way it was working last night, but the rest of the group said starter was random, stack on the tank, follow him away from lightning (which got me killed... every time).

If I can confirm she will always start in *northeast* or such, then its simply stand southwest when last add is about to die. So, please, if you feel confident voice out Though I know this will get mixxed responses, but getting an ample sample might help

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daggerr le Vaurien View Post
    Can I get a few more people to confirm / disprove her using her lightning starting in the same spot each time? I started* to think that was the way it was working last night, but the rest of the group said starter was random, stack on the tank, follow him away from lightning (which got me killed... every time).

If I can confirm she will always start in *northeast* or such, then its simply stand southwest when last add is about to die. So, please, if you feel confident voice out Though I know this will get mixxed responses, but getting an ample sample might help
    I'm pretty sure it is random/was random the last time I was there.

Someone once told me that it was semi-random. If you turn your camera up as far as possible, you can see an arc of lights rotating around her quite quickly from the top. According to him, wherever that arc stops will be the lightning. Kind of like roulette and it always moved too fast for me to see it in time so I'd just react quickly and stand in her and run out quickly. The fight is no problem at all if you are no slowpoke.

Go wipe to her a couple of times and see! We have run several groups through with the "not hit by lightning" achievement using just this, and it hasn't failed us yet.
    Trust me I have wiped plenty to her...I tried to find a pattern I tried turning her to set her up to start in the same spot....all the tricks to having the prevision needed to completely dodge the lightning. It is random. The fact you are getting it that way everytime is an anomoly. On yesterday's kill she started towards the lava then went towards the left as seen from the bridge then back to the lava...that does not follow your pattern at all.

Rift Disciple

Trust me I have wiped plenty to her...I tried to find a pattern I tried turning her to set her up to start in the same spot....all the tricks to having the prevision needed to completely dodge the lightning. It is random. The fact you are getting it that way everytime is an anomoly. On yesterday's kill she started towards the lava then went towards the left as seen from the bridge then back to the lava...that does not follow your pattern at all.
    If you saw it go left (counterclockwise) then you are experiencing the display bug. The actual effect is still going clockwise.

If you saw it go left (counterclockwise) then you are experiencing the display bug. The actual effect is still going clockwise.
    Im speaking of the first wave of 4, the initial wave for A phase 3, not one of the following 3 waves in the same phase 3.

Plane Touched

Just wiped for over an hour on her. She's an easy boss, but ******* that ****ing visual bug. The lightning kills people much too often because on every single attempt it bugged, unlike when I first killed her and it only bugged every once in a while - maybe twice in a dozen attempts. But what really kills us is that while the rotation SHOULD be the same each time... it's not sometimes, and that again kills people.

So in the end we called it with our best attempt having ended with her at 4500 HP. Way to go to miss out on 22 plaques because of essentially a bug that should be easy as hell to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Thevryn View Post
    Just wiped for over an hour on her. She's an easy boss, but ******* that ****ing visual bug. The lightning kills people much too often because on every single attempt it bugged, unlike when I first killed her and it only bugged every once in a while - maybe twice in a dozen attempts. But what really kills us is that while the rotation SHOULD be the same each time... it's not sometimes, and that again kills people.

So in the end we called it with our best attempt having ended with her at 4500 HP. Way to go to miss out on 22 plaques because of essentially a bug that should be easy as hell to fix.
    Same thing for us and it really ticks me off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast