+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RD the easiest T2? Really?

Unhappy RD the easiest T2? Really?

I kept hearing that RD was the easiest of the T2s to start with but last night my group was unable to clear even the first boss. Researching tips I did notice that most people make no mention of the puddle he drops, so this must be some new mechanic. I can say that I don't think gear was a major issue, we were all wearing a combination of T1 and dropped purple gear. We had previously managed to run CC on expert with the only hard part being that last boss.

So, any tips for this first boss with this new puddle mechanic? Please tell me he's the hardest of them.

They mispelled AP.

RD used to be the second easiest t2. I still think it is, but Rictus kind of sucks for a melee heavy group now.

Soulwalker

"RD is the easiest T2" is something that's been around since shortly after launch and, as the person above me points out, before people realized how much easier AP was.

The player targetted AOE is a new mechanic is new (1.1 iirc) and has a graphic that looks just like an Inquisitors Circle of Oblivion - if you can see it at all since it will often not appear for people.

A few tips if you can't see the graphic:

When you see Rictus casting Rotting Flesh be ready to move where no one is standing.
    Have Ranged stack so that you'll have more safe space to stand after Rotting Flesh is dropped.
    Move Rictus. He can be kited far from his initial location so don't worry about resetting him.

Pretty sure DD is the easiest t2 now considering scarn is basically a t1 boss...

Quote Originally Posted by McRask View Post
    "RD is the easiest T2" is something that's been around since shortly after launch and, as the person above me points out, before people realized how much easier AP was.

The player targetted AOE is a new mechanic is new (1.1 iirc) and has a graphic that looks just like an Inquisitors Circle of Oblivion - if you can see it at all since it will often not appear for people.

A few tips if you can't see the graphic:

When you see Rictus casting Rotting Flesh be ready to move where no one is standing.
    Have Ranged stack so that you'll have more safe space to stand after Rotting Flesh is dropped.
    Move Rictus. He can be kited far from his initial location so don't worry about resetting him.
    We did at one point try stacking (those of us that were ranged anyway) but it ended up with us all getting hit with it every few seconds, which made it difficult for the two of us healing.

I'm glad to know this is not what is considered easy at least...we're still only just starting the T2s so I suppose I'll hit up AP and DD as suggested.

Champion

The first boss was really hard when we tried him the other day. Basically, he does a very simple rotation.

A couple seconds of regular melee hits
    Single Target Pull
    Cast Rotting Flesh (2 second cast)
    AoE appears at random party member
    Single Target Pull
    Pull everyone
    Angry stomping for a bit
    Kicks the tank
    Repeat

A couple things to know:

1) Tank can take the pounding/stomping, tank shouldn't be moving unless he's standing in the AoE. Attempting to kite will only screw your block/parry and make it hard on the healers.
    2) When he pulls you in, if you are pulled over the AoE you'll take damage from it. Make sure there's no AoE between you and him.
    3) His pulls can be LoS'd. This isn't useful for the individual pulls, but everyone who's ranged should LoS the big pull. It occurs the instant he finishes casting rotting flesh the second time. It doesn't look like it at first, but the Gazebo thing he spawns in has a billion things that you can either LoS on or will block you from being pulled all the way. We found it easiest to just tank him where he's at against the rock, if the tank gets moved he can just drag it back.
    4) He pulls everyone almost immediately after dropping the second AoE. If the AoE lands on or near the boss and he pulls people into it, people will die. If the AoE lands near the boss, the tank has to make a quick move in a pre-determined direction. Tank will probably just shift back and forth between two spots as necessary.
    5) You can see him throw the AoE, it looks like a greenish ball he tosses out. Even if you can't see the AoE easily, watch for him tossing it at a party member and move accordingly. They're bigger than they look. Only 2 AoE's will be active at once, the oldest one will disappear a couple seconds before a new one is thrown. You can use that to help you out if you're feeling cornered.

tl;dr Players LoS his big pull, make sure the AoE isn't between them and the boss, tank stays put unless he needs to move out of the AoE.
    Last edited by Doddler; 04-10-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Rift Chaser

Rictus is much easier if you pull him all the way back up the stairs and into the huge circular courtyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddler View Post
    The first boss was really hard when we tried him the other day. Basically, he does a very simple rotation.

Single Target Pull
    Single Target Pull
    Pull everyone
    Angry stomping for a bit
    Kicks the tank
    Repeat

A couple things to know:

1) Tank can take the pounding/stomping, tank shouldn't be moving unless he's standing in the AoE. Attempting to kite will only screw your block/parry and make it hard on the healers.
    2) When he pulls you in, if you are pulled over the AoE you'll take damage from it. Make sure there's no AoE between you and him.
    3) His pulls can be LoS'd. This isn't useful for the individual pulls, but everyone who's ranged should LoS the big pull. It occurs the instant he finishes casting rotting flesh the second time. It doesn't look like it at first, but the Gazebo thing he spawns in has a billion things that you can either LoS on or will block you from being pulled all the way. We found it easiest to just tank him where he's at against the rock, if the tank gets moved he can just drag it back.
    4) He pulls everyone almost immediately after dropping the second AoE. If the AoE lands on or near the boss and he pulls people into it, people will die. If the AoE lands near the boss, the tank has to make a quick move in a pre-determined direction. Tank will probably just shift back and forth between two spots as necessary.
    5) You can see him throw the AoE, it looks like a greenish ball he tosses out. Even if you can't see the AoE easily, watch for him tossing it at a party member and move accordingly. They're bigger than they look. Only 2 AoE's will be active at once, the oldest one will disappear a couple seconds before a new one is thrown. You can use that to help you out if you're feeling cornered.

tl;dr Players LoS his big pull, make sure the AoE isn't between them and the boss, tank stays put unless he needs to move out of the AoE.
    Wow excellent info. Thanks alot!

Shield of Telara TheGreatGoogly's Avatar

Just have the tank kite Rictus all around and its much simpler.

Champion

Rictus is a joke with an offhealer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGoogly View Post
    Just have the tank kite Rictus all around and its much simpler.

Tried that also. Was a LOS nightmare both in and out of the gazebo.
    Last edited by Kerri; 04-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.

He AoE pulls every other Rotten Flesh.
    When he is casting Rotten Flesh he is stationary.
    Melee is safe to go in AFTER he knocksback the tank.

Have tank call out rotting flesh and who it targets. Have the tank be ready to immediately run the boss back after every AoE pull, because he will immediately will start stomping the ground for pretty high AoE damage. Melee is safe to DPS most of the time (he doesn't even cleave). They just need to back off after the AoE pull and go in after knockback.

I have melee dps stand right next to me and have all ranged stack on each other to minimize where the Rotten Fleshes will be. When he's casting, I always run away so if he decides to drop it on me it won't hit melee DPS. I treat it a bit like Scarn. When he's casting I tell my ranged to start running forward and I start running back. It'll minimize time spent in AoE if it's dropped under you if you're already moving.

I kite him around in a circle. From where the old LoS fence is, up the stairs into arena, down the other stairs, then around the pathway where the two shades are. Always let your healers know when you're transitioning up and down the stairs so they can step up so there aren't any LoS issues.

And it's not the worst thing in the world to just turn around and run to pull back the boss after he AoE pulls and starts Donkey Konging. I've never seen the Tectonic Strike or wahtever it's called be missed/dodged/parried/blocked, so I'm thinking it's magic damage anyway. There's no downside to turning around and exposing your back.

It's a really easy fight.

Oh, and a tip for the third boss:

Glacial Shield can be purged.
    Cursed Wave is ALWAYS IMMEDIATELY AFTER he roots the tank.

So what I do is strafe left and right constantly while I tank. The moment I suddenly cannot move anymore, I call it out so people can get ready to LoS. Also, VK tanks can toss Disrupt on the boss which lengthens cast time. It should make it easier for people to react to Cursed Wave (has a pretty fast cast time).

Shadowlander

ok, we just spent about an hour on this, and failed.

The best we could come up with was to try to gauge when he would do the pull, and try to LOS Rictus at that moment, and then come back into LOS until the next pull. Other than that, we haven't had any really good ideas. None of the ones listed so far have been that helpful

Rift Disciple

Way of the Mountain

/thread

Anyways, it's not that hard without it either.

Just clear the trashpack thats just after Rictus on the big plaza-like space and tank him there.

Tank tanks him near the stairs and the DPS/Healers spread out nicely in the circular space.
    If he casts the AoE on the tank he just has to move a bit away form the stairs into the open, then move back when the old AoE dissapears.

Long story short, if your tank knows how to position it well it's an easy boss.

If you think this boss is hard wait till you get to the 2nd last one. Your tank is gonna get absolutely ***** unless he's specced into some kind of defensive cooldown.
    Pro-tip for him, though... The other add he summons is a bard and does close to no damage and doesnt need tanking so just have your DPS kill him first while the tank tanks the meleee add and the boss.

If you managed expert CC, you should be able to faceroll every T2 except for maybe DSM.
    Last edited by Mohko; 04-10-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Untouch View Post
    Rictus is a joke with an basic movement skills.
    Pretty sure that's what he wanted to say.

I play a Warrior - DPS most of the time and tank when needed - and never ran into any problems.

ps: Recently did DD after the patch and while I think Scarn is more in line with the other bosses now, the fix might have nerfed him a bit too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast