+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LFG tool vs LFD finder tool: Which one you like the most?

Default LFG tool vs LFD finder tool: Which one you like the most?

Definitions :

1. LFG tool. The classic flag up stick note in tool. So as someone searches for members they see your name on a list and note you added. This allows a Pug leader to send tells to those who "want" to group.

The pros with this to me are that you can meet some very good players and make some friends. Community builder in some sense also. Your ability to make friends and play well will get you in more groups as you mingle with the players on your server.

Cons: You may build a bad rep by just inexperience and find yourself stuck lfg longer. Your server population can be so stagnant that you end up waiting still.

2. LFD tool: Warcraft style. Those who have not played that game. This basically allowed you to select the role you will fill and press the button. From there you were paired up with people across several servers and ran a dungeon.

Pros; You probably will find groups much faster with this set up.

Cons: you will be randomly thrown in with people of unknown reputation and skill. At the same time you may find yourself in a great group with wonderful people..to only have to say good bye and may never see them again. Not a very good community builder for sure. At the same time if anyone who has done T1 and especially T2. The dungeons are much more challenging in my opinion ..so do you really want to take chances with a random joe finder in these? My experiences with lots of T1 and T2..is a no. Not so much T1 ...but surely T2..yah...thats a gamble that may end up being more painful than fun.

**MY vote**
    LFG classic tool server side.

Low pop server mergers and transfers a must to make this one flaw of the tool be squashed. "Low population servers won't benefit as much."
    Last edited by Warfangs; 04-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.

I'd take either, however I do agree that if TRION goes the Dungeon finder route that they make it NOT cross server so players can be held more accountable. Either that or they need to innovate and build something that allows cross server but seriously keeps players accountable (not sure how that might work). Group/Credit rating maybe...not sure.
    Last edited by swordfish; 04-08-2011 at 11:08 AM.

General of Telara

i would go with a LFD system like wow. In rift, sometime i wait up all night long to find a group and i go to bed dissapointed. At the same time that it break the "familly" of the server, it make you do more dungeon, wich is a good thing

so , do you prefer being in family and take 3hours to find an expert
    or just take 1hr and do it with stranger.

i think ill take the hour
    Last edited by darkchicken; 04-08-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Soulwalker

LFG tool. /10char

Soulwalker

I would like to see LFD as it will be much faster to get a group what would the point in having LFG if it takes you 3 hours to get a group in normal chat LFG is the same see where am comeing from

Lightbulb

yes we want

cdn
    Telaran

The one thing that will determine whether this game is to WoW what WoW was to EQ, or whether it's simply the latest (and greatest) in a long line of WoW clones (similar to games that were shameless EQ clones back in the day) is not how well it can clone WoW, but how well it can improve on things that Blizzard didn't do so well.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks LFD the way Blizzard did it is an ideal solution. It creates groups whose members have no sense of responsibility. It strongly discourages people in high-demand roles from using the system as they literally have the pick of the litter and there's little reason to deal with 4 random chumps when you can roll with people you know & can work with whenever you want. The anonymity ensures that content that requires tight teamwork will always be really challenging since the odds are much better than not that nobody in the group has met before, or will ever again.

I absolutely want a good LFD tool in this game just like everyone else, the advantages are obvious. But if they just clone WoW's LFD, they'll get a system that has all of LFD's problems. If they take their time and put together a solid, functional, and useful-for-everyone LFD tool, it's definitely one way they can distinguish themselves from all the other also-rans, and from the 400 lb gorilla.

I would take either one.

Yet, most of the population of the game would probably take the automatic LFD tool. Those people (the majority of casual players) would see the billboard tool as too much trouble to use.

Also, if Trion would implement a cross-server LFD tool into the game, they would need to have a system for keeping the players accountable for bad behavior in game while queueing cross-server. Free-range anonymity would tear the community of the entire game down.

It needs an option to automatically filter out those ill-mannered players found by other players in the game, even cross-server. Otherwise, it'll be just like that other game's system where the rudeness and abuse run rampant all over everyone's random queues.

Surely this is a tough pick for the Dev's. I wouldn't mind both at once. Temporary and most easy to code in fix would be the "billboard style" of LFG Windows.

LFD tool is more complex and will take time for them to figure out what to do and how to implement it.

As for other posters concerns of anonymity issues. That's the major con with cross server LFD tools.

I am just an older gamer who is stuck in his old ways I guess.

Anyway back on track. These two styles are what I am seeing suggested. So I provided definitions so people didn't confuse them with each other.

I believe we can keep this thread constructive if you stick to the original posts question in title. Dev's like threads like this. Feedback without the bickering.

Exclamation

TRION GAME does not care about us

LFG tool. PLEASE: no cross-server dungeons...
    Shout out to all our warfighters: veteran, active duty, reserve, and retired!

Quote Originally Posted by Warfangs View Post
    Definitions :

1. LFG tool. The classic flag up stick note in tool. So as someone searches for members they see your name on a list and note you added. This allows a Pug leader to send tells to those who "want" to group.

The pros with this to me are that you can meet some very good players and make some friends. Community builder in some sense also. Your ability to make friends and play well will get you in more groups as you mingle with the players on your server.

Cons: You may build a bad rep by just inexperience and find yourself stuck lfg longer. Your server population can be so stagnant that you end up waiting still.

2. LFD tool: Warcraft style. Those who have not played that game. This basically allowed you to select the role you will fill and press the button. From there you were paired up with people across several servers and ran a dungeon.

Pros; You probably will find groups much faster with this set up.

Cons: you will be randomly thrown in with people of unknown reputation and skill. At the same time you may find yourself in a great group with wonderful people..to only have to say good bye and may never see them again. Not a very good community builder for sure. At the same time if anyone who has done T1 and especially T2. The dungeons are much more challenging in my opinion ..so do you really want to take chances with a random joe finder in these? My experiences with lots of T1 and T2..is a no. Not so much T1 ...but surely T2..yah...thats a gamble that may end up being more painful than fun.

**MY vote**
    LFG classic tool server side.

Low pop server mergers and transfers a must to make this one flaw of the tool be squashed. "Low population servers won't benefit as much."
    I would quit if they did anything like WoW.

A simple flag system like CoH would make me very happy though.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by mRGogo View Post
    TRION GAME does not care about us
    And i do not care about TRION GAME.
    Cake anyone?
    Last edited by mrspliff; 04-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    I would quit if they did anything like WoW.

A simple flag system like CoH would make me very happy though.
    Yah I figured many would like that billboard style LFG window. It beats camping a channel or shouting through it I think. Though it'll be used, at the very least a pug leader will have a billboard to check first.

At the very least I think that LFG window should go in sooner than later honestly. As a bandaid fix to the issue of players needing a dungeon run.

I like the system installed in DDO. It's like the flagging system but you can see what dungeon the groups forming(or the person interested) will be doing. It's a very nice interface and will help over the current chat based(simply because you can see everyone who wants to do a dungeon). Granted, DDO is the only game where a system like that has really shined, perhaps because it's more of a group focused game.
    Last edited by BucMan; 04-13-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast