+ Reply to Thread

Thread: expert dungeon lock outs.

Telaran

Default expert dungeon lock outs.

Why do they exist?

It has become the hugest road block lately to getting a group together. No longer about finding the the right classes, but finding the right classes that share a common dungeon that everyone is not locked out on.

What's this suppose to help stop? Plaque farming? Well you can just make it so that you can only loot the 1 or 2 plaques once each day. Might still stop some people from joining a group if they wont get rewards, but at least I can join a pug and do one in the morning and not screw over a guild group in the evening who also wanted to do it.
    And even then, the people who are just farming plaques like crazy are still just taking an extra 10 minutes each day to run to a different expert. You're really not making anything easier for them if you give them the ability to sit in one spot all day.
    No ones gonna abuse it to farm loot, if you can breeze through a T1 or T2 in half an hour you dont need the loot from there. If a group wants to carry and gear up a poorly geared friend by doing the same dungeon over and over what's it matter? What's the difference between them doing it in one dungeon over and over and them having an extra minute long downtime while someone runs to a different dungeon? other than they just get more and more useless stuff if they do the same one repeatedly?

Is it because some dungeons are quicker than others? Well why dont you retune them? Nerf the last boss in LH somehow so you cant skip all the trash that spawns. Remove all the excess trash mobs in Fae, balance them out so that it wouldnt be unbalanced for someone to do LH 5 times cause in that time you could only do IT twice.

It's just redonkulous atm. All a group is for the first few minutes is talk of who is not locked out on what or "oh, that'll take too long and we got raid night so i dont want to leave half way through then not be able to get a group to pick back up" and "oh, that's something i'm doing later already."

You can't argue your level 50 content is lacking, so why this limit to put even more of a block on it?

Rift Master

Lets see... Completely redo their dungeons to try and make them all alike and still have people find and run the easiest one over and over....

OR

Use a lockout which keeps people cycling dungeons which is easier and will keep your player base with the illusion of more content...

I think Trion will go with your idea...

General of Telara

I agree with above poster. Its not THAT hard to find a group out of what? 10 dungeons? that everyone can do, once a day.

Sword of Telara

I think a limit on the amount of Plaques a day and remove the lockout. if you can get two from each instance make it so that you can only get two a day from each instance but you can run it as may times as you want.

Maybe you want to help a guild mate or just enjoy that instance, no reason to have a daily lockout on really when there are other solutions that could work better.

Telaran

Completely redo? what the heck you barking at foo?

They been bragging for a year how dynamic the content woudl be and how easy it is to remove and add stuff. Even without that it shouldnt take them more than 5 minutes to retune the 3 or 4 dungeons that need literally 1 thing done to each to fix their time lengths.
    I sure as hell dont want them redone to be the same, not sure where you're getting that from.

The problem is right now the lockouts are having the opposite effect of what the intentions may have been. It's absolutely not keeping people cycling through different dungeons. It's locking people out of being able to do dungeons because it's near impossible these days to find groups of people who all share a similiar non-locked out dungeon.

It only works the way they intended if you have a group of 5 people who have 8 hours to go through 5 or 6 dungeons together. Unfortunetly that makes up a very slim minority of people. In the meantime the rest of the player base is getting screwed over by juggling groups where they are not locked on stuff with trying to save ones for guild groups later on in the day, or trying to find something after already doing a few guild group runs, or just people who are not guilded and like doing pugs.

Instance lockouts were originally incorporated to help fight gold farmers. It failed miserably, but hey, blizzard's blind. Dungeon lockouts for raids and end-game content were put in place to slow the progression of hardcore guilds, as once everyone was in top-tier gear, they'd get bored and start leaving the game in droves.

Whereas I can understand the thought process behind that, I still think it's a dumb idea. I know a lot of people (mostly in WoW, but a growing number in Rift) who log in, do their raids once/twice a week, then log out for the day. No alt leveling, no crafting, no dailies, nothing. Log in, do a raid, log out. Yeah, that sounds like a whole lot of fun, let me tell you.

If they removed the lockout, sure, as a whole people would be getting to those top-tier sets of armor a hell of a lot faster. However, as has been commented already, if they only allowed the instance to drop plaques for you once per day (plaque lockout?) it wouldn't be all that different. It'd still take you the same amount of time to farm the plaques, but in the mean time, we'd be able to run the dungeons more, which to me, would be a lot more enjoyable than doing once, then sitting in town QQ'ing about being bored. (I don't do this, but Sanctum sure is getting DAMNED full of level 50s doing this.)

I think putting the lockouts in place was taking the easy way out of the situation. Sure, this game is a clone of WoW; anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy, or just dense. But being a clone of WoW doesn't mean you can't make CHANGES.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Itseotle View Post
    I agree with above poster. Its not THAT hard to find a group out of what? 10 dungeons? that everyone can do, once a day.
    that only applies to people capable of T1 and 2 and dont mind doing T1s for fewer plaques. Further limiting the options.

I think it's also a lot to do with dwindling numbers. Obviously we are past the first month and have lost that large chunk of people who just wanted to give it a shot through first free month and dont want to continue playing.

Maybe when they start merging servers things could change. But for right now for the last 2 days i've spent more time trying to work groups out then actually doing a dungeon.
    It's even causing stress in guild cause someone is logging in at 7 and wants to do the daily dungeon but everyone else is locked out. Can't tell the people who were on earlier "you can't do those dungeons in the day!!! save for night time guild groups!" because that's the same as telling them "you cant play at all during the day cause the only pugs going are ones that want to do dailies as well"
    And raid nights are getting to be stressful cause if we start at 7 that means you have to cut off any groups by 5:30/6 so they dont get screwed over and have to leave with bosses still left up then forced to try and find a way to finish them after the raid when 3 of the other people in group had to go to bed.

It's just completely non-sensical the way lockouts are set up.

Plane Touched

I hate the lockouts as well they should be kept to raids or at least be able to run a dungeon twice a day. However what a lot of you miss is that it isn't totally about plaques. In all honesty plaque gear is garbage. I fail to see why everyone is so concerned with plaques. The drop gear is far better then plaque gear. Even the blue drops are equal to or very close to plaque gear in most cases. With the ability to constantly farm dungeons people would still get the drop gear far far quicker then intended. Plaques would become completely pointless at that point save raid gear.

Quote Originally Posted by xanon View Post
    And raid nights are getting to be stressful cause if we start at 7 that means you have to cut off any groups by 5:30/6 so they dont get screwed over and have to leave with bosses still left up then forced to try and find a way to finish them after the raid when 3 of the other people in group had to go to bed.

It's just completely non-sensical the way lockouts are set up.
    Its really not anyones fault but that players for running a dungeon group that close to raid time. I have absolutely no problem with how the lockouts are setup, it would just be nice if there wasn't a gap between doing half of them. If all 10 dungeons had the same requirements gear wise this would be less of a headache than it currently is.

+ Reply to Thread