+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Guide] How to find and build Dungeon Groups

Rift Master

Default [Guide] How to find and build Dungeon Groups

Why write a guide about this?

Obviously many people here need it. I've already taught some friends how to find dungeon groups. They told me pretty much that they are happy to see me online because nobody ever wants to go to dungeons with them. Nobody seemed to look for dungeons they could join when I wasn't there. I just gave them the same tips I'll be giving you and guess what? They were able to find dungeon groups without too much of a hassle.
    I hope it helps you but like with everything else, either take it or leave it. If you don't want to have a small effort and just want to keep doing whatever you did before, don't bother reading on.
    Note that a lot of this is directed at running a dungeon successfully and leaving a good impression, not just finding a group. Making yourself known as being competent will net you more invites than shouting "LFG" for 2 hours ever could. You have to set yourself apart from the hundreds of DPS-only-guys.
    In the end this will pay out with you running dungeons constantly while they are sitting in Meridian and whining on the forums how nobody wants them in a group.

Who am I? I'm a warrior. I raid Greenscale's Blight several times a week as DPS warrior. While leveling I ran a lot of instances as tank, melee DPS and even ranged DPS. I still run T2 in groups that may have up to 3 randoms in them. Some of the advice I will be giving you will not just help you find dungeon groups but will also help you improve. To advance you have to keep improving your play, your ingame relations and your character. None of this can be done by just sitting there and waiting for an opportunity because those opportunities will be few and too many people are just waiting for those.

1. Preparation

It is never good to be unprepared. Prepare yourself for the dungeons.
    This means you should have enough knowledge of your class and different speccs but also game mechanics and . As a consequence you should be able to fill different roles. A warrior should be able to DPS or tank. A mage will want a DPS and a chloro specc and a cleric might even have roles for healing, DPS and tanking. The first extra-role you purchase is very cheap. Fill those 2 roles with 2 different speccs that let you fill different roles. Of course you should also

Also spend some time reading up on them and trying them out.
    If you have never been to a dungeon before, read up on it and watch a video for the trickier bosses. Having seen what you have to look out for in a battle ("OMG I didn't expect I'd have to step out of some strange red circles!") helps a lot when fighting new enemies.

Of course entering the instance with at least one stack of water, a few healing and/or mana pot and a fully healed soul fall under this category as well.
    Not using any water makes healers grumpy, especially when you are a mage and keep tapping yourself down for mana and a chloromancer healer for example might not even be able to fill you up outside of battle without waiting for cooldowns. Also nothing sucks more than wiping on a boss at 20% because someone didn't want to use a pot. Tank is getting in a damage-spike? Healpot. DPS is trapped in some AoE effect and nearly dead? Healpot! Running out of mana? Manapot. As for the soul vitality... nobody likes to wait for someone to port home and heal just because they entered the dungeon with 20% soul vitality. It is a big no-no. Never enter a dungeon when below 100% soul vitality!

This also means that you have to bring some time. If you don't have enough time prepared, you might have to leave a group early and all your effort is wasted.
    Sure, many instances can take less than an hour but the group might need 30 minutes or so to complete and then you might wipe a few times.

2. Communication

Visiting a dungeon should never be solely about the loot, the XP or whatever other pixels you want from there. Those are just secondary goals. The primary goal should be spending time with some other people.
    This means that proper communication is a key component of finding and building dungeon groups.

When looking for group members, don't just write "Rogue LFG RD". What does it tell people and what doesn't it tell them?
    First of all it tells them you are a "Rogue". In this game, the rogue calling has many different souls. People will just assume you want a melee DPS spot, which are by far the easiest to fill and compared to ranged DPS much easier to fail in. It also doesn't tell people if you are willing to switch to something else if needed.
    LFG? What does it even mean? It doesn't tell people anything about if you are interested in forming your own group or just want to be taken along for a nearly complete group. Also it doesn't tell people whether you are able to form complete sentences or are one of those +/- guys.
    RD? What does that mean? A new player might not know that you want to kill some dwarves in their lovely gardens and that the instance is for lvl 38-42.

"Rogue (melee/bard) is looking for a group or members to form a group for Runic Descent (lvl 38-42)" is MUCH better.

Don't take people along with me into my dungeons if you can't be sure that they can form a somewhat comprehensible sentence.
    If I look for a DPS to fill up the group, I won't take the guys sending me a "+". I've had some people with me that only ever communicated in +/-. You can play as well as you want, as long as your means of communication are that limited, you're going nowhere in a multiplayer game.

Another part of proper communication is looking for members in the proper channels. Let's say that rogue looking for a group is lvl 39. How does he find 40+ people?
    /join "Level 40-49"
    I hope this is what the channel is called on English shards, on German shards the channel is called "Stufe 40-49". Also don't forget the " because otherwise you will form a new channel called Level 40 with noone in it. This works for all level channels except the lvl 50 one, which is somehow blocked from joining it manually.
    The rogue from our example can now easily look for 40+ people for Runic Descent.

While in the instance, keep communicating. Teamspeak and Vent help a lot with this but they are not necessary. Talk to that other rogue about how he is specced. Ask the people how they like Rift. Ask for advice when you don't know the instance. Maybe ask the people what other games they play/played. The time in a group should be enjoyed and you should make some friends.

3. Building and leading a group

When building a group you will want a tank (warrior, cleric, rogue), a healer (cleric, chloro), someone who can switch between offhealer and DD (Bard, most chloros, some clerics) and 2 DDs (pretty much anything). Building a group is probably the easy part when you are flexible and invite people with the right mindset. If you are a melee DPS and fill up with 2 ranged DDs before having tank, healer or support... good luck next time, try again.
    Building a group is really easy. If you take the initiative. There are countless people doing other stuff and listening to the level range channels, just waiting for an opportunity to join a group. But somehow not many people actually start their own groups. Profit from this. If done right, you won't need long to fill the group.

The harder part is to lead a group. It sounds hard and many people think it is hard and are thus deterred from forming groups themselves.
    But it is easy. There really isn't that much to do. Just remind people to heal their soul and stock up on water. Be the one to teleport everyone into the instance. Mark targets and tell people how bosses work.
    Most of the time people will assume that the tank is the leader of the party. This doesn't have to be the case. You can go just as well lead as a DPS or healer. You don't need an experienced tank to lead you. An inexperienced tank works just as well when you tell him what to do (in a nice tone).
    It is important to be considerate and flexible in this role. Nagging on people won't help anyone.

But the good part about being a successful dungeon leader? People will see you are competent and will want to group with you more often.

4. Friends and Guilds
    Being members of a guild or having a lot of friends helps a lot.
    Add the people from dungeon runs to your friendlist. If someone has been to a dungeon before with you, they are much more likely to group with you again than with some random DPS guy.
    Also, join a guild. People prefer to take guild mates with them over random dude #2578.
    Don't just join any guild. There are countless "guilds" out there that just soak up people and offer nothing to them. If you join such a guild, at least choose the biggest one.

Keep yourself a nice friendlist and you will always find dungeon groups.

5. Final Stuff
    Your attitude is important. Sitting there in Meridian won't help you the least bit.
    While looking for or building a group, do something! There are so many ways to improve your character, not just by dungeons.
    Also, if it doesn't work at first don't give up. It will work. It might need time. But it will work.
    You want that dungeon group. You have to be active. Not just waiting there, listening. Be active and build a group yourself!

Ultimately, you are not doing this for loots but for progression. You won't progress without effort. Getting a pool of people to group with will be work. Getting ready for T1/T2 will be work. Learning some of the T1/T2 encounters will be work. Raiding will be work.
    But you will be rewarded with a lot more fun in this game than you could ever have standing around in Meridian and you will meet many more interesting people than just those guys kicking training dummies all day.
    Last edited by rofltehcat; 04-08-2011 at 04:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread