+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KB Expert Manticores are tough. Tips?

Default KB Expert Manticores are tough. Tips?

Hi all.

I have died against those darned manticores about 50+ times now (Over the course of the past few days and about 4 KB runs.)

I am looking for tips on how to best take them on. Here is a basic run down on our tactics we have tried.

-Spread out: various tactics, usually die very fast 2-4 minutes.

-Stacked 1: 2 DPS 2 Heals. One we focus on melee get him to 10% then we wipe. In another situation we focus on the caster and get to about 10-20% then wipe.

-Stacked 2: 1 DPS, 2 Heals, 1 side heal. Same as above. We can get either of them down to 10% health then we start dropping.

-Stacked 3: 3 DPS 1 heal. This worked the best and we eventually win with this method... but it seems more like luck, cause we fail on each method about 4-6 times. So it seem random that we win with this method.

We can fight all the other bosses in KB and CC without issue. Even Konstatin is pretty darn easy for us.. so we have the organization and the skill... Have we just not tried the right tactic?

Only thing we have no tried is duel tanks.

Like I said we eventually beat them, but we need a method with better throughput.

Any Thoughts?

“Oh greatest of cats, I have need of you!”

1 Tank, 2 DPS, 1 Healer, 1 Support
    1 Tank, 2 Healer, 2 DPS
    1 Tank 1 Healer 3 DPS
    It just depends on your group composition at the time.

Burn down Autoch(the melee one) don't be afriad to burn all cooldowns to survive until he is dead.
    Once Autoch is dead for the most part you have won the fight.

Besides that, Heal people that get the DoT.
    Stay out of ground AoE.
    Tank needs to maintain aggro on both Manticores.

Rift Disciple

use the tree to their left to bring the ranged and the melee close to each other, pull the melee mob away and run through it whenever hes casting the knockback so you get thrown into the ranged one, smack a few times and move back, repeat until dead.

Oh and kill the melee one first, charge is the trouble maker.

i recommend bard + healer, 2dps.

We usually just 2 tank 2 heal 1 dps it.
    One tank and one healer take the Melee one (Autoch I believe) and brings behind the tree on the left not in los of the mage one. The other tank tanks the mage and the dps picks whichever one to kill depending on who if any need the achievement.

This method totally trivializes the fight but in all honesty it's one of the hardest t1 fights I think.

-csb
    Unleash the Beast

Shield of Telara

Tank it in the nook in the tree trunk, both manticores stacked on top of you. Eat the ae, it doesn't do that much damage. A strong chloro or chloro+bard will heal it no probs. Knockbacks don't matter at that point and it's just tank and spank.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolstorybro View Post
    We usually just 2 tank 2 heal 1 dps it.
    One tank and one healer take the Melee one (Autoch I believe) and brings behind the tree on the left not in los of the mage one. The other tank tanks the mage and the dps picks whichever one to kill depending on who if any need the achievement.

This method totally trivializes the fight but in all honesty it's one of the hardest t1 fights I think.

-csb
    I have not tried this yet,But I think i will try to assemble a group tonight.

In a sense I think once you have "trivialized" an encounter (By tactics, not gear.) it probably means you have found the tactic the encounter was designed for... not always, but I think it's a good rule of thumb.

Cleric/Chloro/Bard makes the fight pretty easy, you can stack everyone up together in a nook in one of the trees and the group heals will let you pretty much ignore any of the AOE that's going on.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Tank it in the nook in the tree trunk, both manticores stacked on top of you. Eat the ae, it doesn't do that much damage. A strong chloro or chloro+bard will heal it no probs. Knockbacks don't matter at that point and it's just tank and spank.
    That's the one that usually works for use, but only after 7 wipes LOL. Maybe it's just tough for the healers to get the rhythm down.

Telaran

What kind of tank are you using?

We did it last night with me as a rogue tank, a cleric healer, a t2-equipped dps warrior, and our two fairly poorly-equipped other rogues just went bard.

I don't like tanking them in the crook of the tree so I just tank them right around where they spawn and use teleports to get back in whenever they use a knockback.

I did the same thing a few nights ago with a well-equipped (T1/T2) chloro solo-healing.

So theoretically with a good rogue tank it shouldn't be too bad just due to the mobility. Sure, various party members will still be eating charges from Autoch, but the charge really doesn't do much damage.

Telaran

2 tank 2 heal it. If that doesn't work, run another dungeon. A T1 isn't worth spending more than 45 minutes to an hour on.

We've done it succesfully using Coolstorybro's method as well as sakkath's. Using the nook in the tree was the quickest of the two as no knockback to worry about. Make sure the tank is in the nook, and the rest of the party is at the tail end of the physical manticore. That way the manticore doesn't charge out of the tree and wander around making whoopee.
    Another very cool thing, watch that physical manticore's buff bar, it gets a 30 second buff that "significantly increases damage" have someone purge it and life gets very easy. It pops back up every little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    We've done it succesfully using Coolstorybro's method as well as sakkath's. Using the nook in the tree was the quickest of the two as no knockback to worry about. Make sure the tank is in the nook, and the rest of the party is at the tail end of the physical manticore. That way the manticore doesn't charge out of the tree and wander around making whoopee.
    If your tank happens to have a particular build with...I want to say Reaver? You don't even have to worry about the knockback because that particular soul is immune or something...sorry I haven't leveled my warrior yet so I'm sketchy on details. It can be done though we use it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    Another very cool thing, watch that physical manticore's buff bar, it gets a 30 second buff that "significantly increases damage" have someone purge it and life gets very easy. It pops back up every little bit.
    Thanks for that tip! Didn't know this and will definitely be looking out for this in the future.

Champion of Telara

My group just took out the Manticores for the first time last night. So far we have only been able to clear IT and FC so our gear is mix of drops from those zones and T1 Plaque gear.

Our group is 2 warriors, 2 clerics and 1 Rogue.

After trying a few different strats.....most posted on these forums what ended up working best for us was both Warriors used our Way of the Mountain 'tank' spec.......we tanked them pretty much where they are.....one on the melee the other on the caster keeping both facing away from rest of the group........I was on the caster and I just made sure I kept aggro on it (using a @focus macro) while helping to kill the melee one.

Both Clerics were heal speced and the Rogue I believe was speced into Bard some.

Probably not the fastest way to do the encounter but both Warriors not having to worry about any of the KB from either mob just made things much smoother for everyone.

I think with a little practice and better gear we can probably do the same strat but with a single Warrior tanking both. Two warriors allowed us to play with positioning of both to minimize the AE dmg on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri View Post
    If your tank happens to have a particular build with...I want to say Reaver? You don't even have to worry about the knockback because that particular soul is immune or something...sorry I haven't leveled my warrior yet so I'm sketchy on details. It can be done though we use it a lot.
    ah yes... the antiknockback tank? Way of the mountain? I think it's in the paragon tree? Paragon is a DPS soul, but I think that's the one that has it.....

I just checked. Paragon has an ability 20 point in called "Way of the Mountain" Makes him immovable.

Reaver might have something also. I do not know my builds very well yet.

I might have to try that. Something like this build, Just for that encounter.

If you have 2 dps capable of ranged, tank, healer and off healer then spreading out works very well. The charge+dot can be healed through and you can simply step out of the flames.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast