+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Gronik - effing impossible?

  1. #1
    Sword of Telara Hrimnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Posts
    838

    Default Gronik - effing impossible?

    I know i'm going to get flamed and called a n00b and blah blah blah.

    Here's my group. Me, pally/warlord tank. Chloro, assassin/bladedancer rogue, marksman rogue, and cleric (warden i think).

    We've read every strat, since the LOS thing was fixed in 1.1 it seems the only viable strat on this boss is a pure DPS race.

    Now, this is a group that can consitently down t1 dungeons like LH in ~1 hour with no deaths, no whipes etc.

    Every boss up to gronik we killed either on the first or second try (this is our first time in).

    Now, we're completely at a wall. We get him to somewhere between 22 and 26% and then he basically WTF pwns me, its like he hits a god damn "I WIN" switch.

    Now, i know its a DPS race, but im just not seeing how we're supposed to kill this guy 20% faster. Even if we were in full t2 already, i still just dont see it happening.

    Is there something i'm missing? I've watched every video, read every scrap i can on the web.
    Last edited by Hrimnir; 04-07-2011 at 03:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Shield of Telara Emek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Haters town
    Posts
    745

    Default

    the assassin\bd and marksman is your problem. Gronik is a dps race, so you can have stupid dps builds like that on him. I would say TWO ROGUES LAWL THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM but the two soul make ups of those rogues are more of a problem. Tell them to learn how to play and you'll kill him. zerg the boss and win. My guild had no problems on him before 1.1 and no problems with him after.

    Every fight in this game is a joke, but there are 2 fights in cc where there are dps races, gronik and jultharion, you can dps on the cliff for jultharion and avoid the beams but that's honestly not even needed. Have your rogues research their class and give it another shot, the fight is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR from impossible.
    Last edited by Emek; 04-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara Musufasa101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Take the 2 rogues out and get 2 wars, not even joking. Let us know what happens.

  4. #4
    Shield of Telara Emek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Haters town
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Musufasa101 View Post
    Take the 2 rogues out and get 2 wars, not even joking. Let us know what happens.
    He could run two rogues if they weren't stupid. Rogues aren't in a good place right now and it's not helping when they don't even try.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple skyrunner620's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Ran this with Chloro (me) / Riftstalker / Sab / melee rogue (i don't even know the souls) / Stormcaller.. we always DPS Xaeiel (I think that's how you spell it) first and then Gronik. He died about 5-10 seconds after he got four stacks. I'm not sure why you're running two healers for a DPS race, but that could be your problem.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Eraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    @ EU Servers
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Your thread title just invites trolling, really.

    It's a dps race, you wiped (prbly at like 4-5 stacks) so your dps wasn't high enough.

    ./problemsolved. Don't need no video/strategy for this.

  7. #7
    Champion Fyrestorme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post
    I know i'm going to get flamed and called a n00b and blah blah blah.

    Here's my group. Me, pally/warlord tank. Chloro, assassin/bladedancer rogue, marksman rogue, and cleric (warden i think).

    We've read every strat, since the LOS thing was fixed in 1.1 it seems the only viable strat on this boss is a pure DPS race.

    Now, this is a group that can consitently down t1 dungeons like LH in ~1 hour with no deaths, no whipes etc.

    Every boss up to gronik we killed either on the first or second try (this is our first time in).

    Now, we're completely at a wall. We get him to somewhere between 22 and 26% and then he basically WTF pwns me, its like he hits a god damn "I WIN" switch.

    Now, i know its a DPS race, but im just not seeing how we're supposed to kill this guy 20% faster. Even if we were in full t2 already, i still just dont see it happening.

    Is there something i'm missing? I've watched every video, read every scrap i can on the web.
    switch the 2 rogues for 2 pyros. you will win. the first try.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    182

    Default

    you using a warrior tank? go max mitigation build with an archon or a bard and you can sit him at 5 for ages, i don't think i've ever killed him at less than 5 only mages/clerics for dps not sure i've even run it since 1.1.

    and have your chloro go chloro/necro, or chloro/archon depending on how much utility he wants to provide or if he wants to do more dps.
    Last edited by Derath; 04-07-2011 at 06:57 AM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Every time I've done this fight since 1.1, it was with a warrior tank, cleric healer, chloro, bard, and myself DPSing as Saboteur. Every time, he dies shortly after the buff stack hits 5.

    Completely ignore the adds, they target people at random and if the tank is trying to hold aggro on all three he is hurting his single target DPS on Gronik, which is all that matters.

    If you're wiping at 26% with two DPS then it's a healing problem most likely. It seems counter-intuitive, but having one rogue switch to Bard will allow both other healers to spend more time healing the tank and less time healing the group. And honestly, if you have a Marksman there, he can switch to Bard without dropping his DPS that substantially.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Make your dps spec better and parse them on dummies to make sure they're not terrible. 500 dps is pretty trivial to put out for a rogue to put out if you are in t2s already. If they both do 500 then you'll be fine.

    Your cleric should be dpsing as well, preferably a melee justicar spec for added tank heals, but an inq will do. Clerics in T2 should have DPS specs by now since there are quite a few DPS checks and using a cleric as a healer on those is inefficient.

    If you can't win this dps race then you probably can't get the next boss who is even more of a dps check (but puts out way less damage so you definitely can get away with chloro solo healing). I solo chloro heal on gronik as well as my 350 dps is a hell of a lot better than the 0 a heal cleric puts out.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Puzzlebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    Run max mitigation build on Warrior. 24Reaver/20Paladin/20 Voidknight.

    I personally run a 35Reaver/8Paladin/23 Voidknight for this fight.

    You get Reaver's 5% extra damage aura (If you have a BM I'm pretty sure it stacks with their Pet's 5% extra damage as well. It doesn't get overwritten so it's a fair assumption). You get Purge for his Reflecting Torrent. You get a Crippling Infestation to reduce his damage. Wasting Away reduces his Str (I think, can't really tell). Weaving RD/RS and PfTM severely reduces damage.

    It makes healing me pretty manageable. I always run with 2-3 rogues, so their DPS isn't too crazy. At the end I'll still be eating 3.6k swings. But Crippling Infestation is back up at that point.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Make your dps spec better and parse them on dummies to make sure they're not terrible. 500 dps is pretty trivial to put out for a rogue to put out if you are in t2s already. If they both do 500 then you'll be fine.

    Your cleric should be dpsing as well, preferably a melee justicar spec for added tank heals, but an inq will do. Clerics in T2 should have DPS specs by now since there are quite a few DPS checks and using a cleric as a healer on those is inefficient.

    If you can't win this dps race then you probably can't get the next boss who is even more of a dps check (but puts out way less damage so you definitely can get away with chloro solo healing). I solo chloro heal on gronik as well as my 350 dps is a hell of a lot better than the 0 a heal cleric puts out.
    See, this strat is precisely the opposite of the one I use, but I know other people who do it as well and they both work. I think either stacking extreme heals or extreme DPS is the way to go on this fight, not going half and half.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    See, this strat is precisely the opposite of the one I use, but I know other people who do it as well and they both work. I think either stacking extreme heals or extreme DPS is the way to go on this fight, not going half and half.
    I think extreme heal stacking works because there is a limit to how high the bosses buff will stack, so once it gets there if you have enough heals to heal through it then it's no longer a dps race. However I think they shouldn't do this because they are going to be screwed on jultharin if their dps still don't know how to play.

    Heal stackingis not a strategy I like to employ if I can at all avoid it, I prefer extreme dps to win most boss fights. On many of them if you have enough dps you can kill them before half of their mechanics even do anything.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    I think extreme heal stacking works because there is a limit to how high the bosses buff will stack, so once it gets there if you have enough heals to heal through it then it's no longer a dps race. However I think they shouldn't do this because they are going to be screwed on jultharin if their dps still don't know how to play.

    Heal stackingis not a strategy I like to employ if I can at all avoid it, I prefer extreme dps to win most boss fights. On many of them if you have enough dps you can kill them before half of their mechanics even do anything.
    Yeah this is a good point. I see lots of groups cheesing Jultharin by getting on a ledge and dropping down after the laser beam passes by, hopefully they fix this so it's an actual DPS check.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  15. #15
    Ascendant Puzzlebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Yeah this is a good point. I see lots of groups cheesing Jultharin by getting on a ledge and dropping down after the laser beam passes by, hopefully they fix this so it's an actual DPS check.
    Shh.

    /10char

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts