+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I really don't see why this was changed.

Champion

Default I really don't see why this was changed.

Right, I guess this belongs here.
    For some reason the contribution bar was removed from rifts and invasions.

The contribution system is still in full swing, but the bar has been removed.
    Not sure what problems it was causing or how this solves them but why was this removed?

I quite enjoyed knowing if my loot was going to be crap or not.

Plane Touched

Well, since they changed it so that your contribution is no longer compared to that of other players, the bar in the form it was in would've been meaningless. Still, some sort of indicator wouldn't hurt.

Shadowlander

Not a dungeon. Not a raid.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Untouch View Post
    Right, I guess this belongs here.
    For some reason the contribution bar was removed from rifts and invasions.

The contribution system is still in full swing, but the bar has been removed.
    Not sure what problems it was causing or how this solves them but why was this removed?

I quite enjoyed knowing if my loot was going to be crap or not.
    The contribution system that was in place was so horribly exploitable that people gaming the system or playing a few select builds were getting great items while people who were legitimately healing/DPSing were, in relative terms, getting shafted. All you had to do to get gold contribution was cast spells/abilities at every GCD for a while at the end. To get top contribution, rogues would reapply poisons, clerics would spam cast a cheap HOT, etc.

Trion removed this system and implemented a new one based on physical presence: everyone healing or DPSing in a stage gets the same amount of credit if they are there when it ends. At the moment, I think everyone gets a silver reward for every stage.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kassa View Post
    The contribution system that was in place was so horribly exploitable that people gaming the system or playing a few select builds were getting great items while people who were legitimately healing/DPSing were, in relative terms, getting shafted. All you had to do to get gold contribution was cast spells/abilities at every GCD for a while at the end. To get top contribution, rogues would reapply poisons, clerics would spam cast a cheap HOT, etc.
    My understanding is that contribution is no longer weighted against other players. From what I've been seeing though, you can still game the system. In a scenario where I wouldn't get golds solo on a minor rift before, I will still be short on rewards. Some builds/roles still get contribution faster (a tank that does some DPS, a healer that is healing a group of people, very easy for them to get top rewards compared to a pure dps spec, especially a single target one). It's just that my own contribution doesn't get negatively affected by what other people are doing.

Removing the bar makes it hard to exploit... but you can still see it, during the invasion me and two friends went up against one of the colossi in an invasion, one a healer, one a tank, and me as DPS. Despite doing top DPS (only dps really), both the healer and tank got a blue shard for killing it, and I just got planarite (it wasn't the final boss of an invasion, just one of the several colossi in a major invasion). So the weighting for roles is still there.
    Last edited by Doddler; 03-30-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Soulwalker

So now all you have to do is show up and hang out to get good loot? What a terrible system. I liked the fact that you had to compete with other players to get the best loot. This just smacks of "boohoo I don't know how to make a decent build" incompetance. Best fix: Count the total amount of damage dealt and healing done, assign loot according to the numbers.

Rift Chaser

No, you still have to participate. Standing around letting everyone else do stuff will get you a very minimal reward. Im assuming a handful of planarite, but then again, I never just stand around in rift events.

Drunk

Rift Disciple

I thought the new system is now a APM system, where only your activity is important. Only difference to before, you have now not to win against all the other APM player, you hae only to beat yourself...

Stupid change, cast time will loose, ever

Personally, I miss the leaderboard and contribution bar. And I'm surprised more people aren't disappointed to see them go as well.

I used them extensively - regardless of whether I was playing healer, tank, or DPS - to gauge how well I was doing and whether I had to try harder. I feel sort of disconnected from the proceedings now :/

+ Reply to Thread