+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expert dungeons....

Rift Disciple

Default Expert dungeons....

Ive never played an mmo seriously before. So I made it to level 50 on my mage and wanted to see what expert dungeons were like since that seems to be the big payoff for everyone.

lol seriously.

Its the same thing I did before, but only much worse. Now instead of going at a reasonable pace and keeping things fresh. I am spending twice the amount of time on each monster rolling off mind-numbing keyboard rotations. I actually quit halfway through because I couldnt take it anymore. Are you kidding me? This is BORING and it feels like work. Am I missing something?

Shield of Telara

If you don't like keyboard rotations then you should probably avoid playing mmos.

Is this fkn guy 4 real? I'm pretty sure this is a joke but if it's not, I heard consoles are on sale. You may want to check them out.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zigz View Post
    Is this fkn guy 4 real? I'm pretty sure this is a joke but if it's not, I heard consoles are on sale. You may want to check them out.
    Im 4 real bro. I thought the normal dungeons were alright, but all you are doing in expert mode is increasing the time it takes to complete them. Its not necessarily even an increase challenge or a difficulty thing. Its just giving the mobs more hp and making you spam buttons for an increasingly boring amount of time. I dont get it. Why is it fun to do the same dungeon you did before only now it takes longer?

I think the baron krevac raid boss is fun content. It doesnt take an hour of keyboard mashing to get there, but it still requires teamwork and a little bit of strategy.

Champion

I must admit, I groan a little bit when I see a trash pull of mobs with 60k+ HP... all it does is increase the time it takes to kill, and isn't even hard at all.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by AestheticsBrah View Post
    Im 4 real bro. I thought the normal dungeons were alright, but all you are doing in expert mode is increasing the time it takes to complete them. Its not necessarily even an increase challenge or a difficulty thing. Its just giving the mobs more hp and making you spam buttons for an increasingly boring amount of time. I dont get it. Why is it fun to do the same dungeon you did before only now it takes longer?

I think the baron krevac raid boss is fun content. It doesnt take an hour of keyboard mashing to get there, but it still requires teamwork and a little bit of strategy.
    My friend, you are the finest sample of what we tanks call "that @#%@ dps back there with one hand touching himself", of cousr you dont hear it very often because we keep it to ourselves most of the time, but we do pass the list around so good news for you, your boring days for key pressing won't be long.

What may seem like just a longer version of hitting ur rotations, takes knowledge, skill, plan and above all patience. Every boss we must learn the tricks, the phases, and the positions. Every pull we get to watch for the pats, the group make up, the kill orders. Last be not least we have to watch out for people like you here, who is doing his rotation blindly on the wrong mob and will complain about the tank even the rest of the group if you OT.

So i'm sorry, my friend, but we don't share your pain.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMQ View Post
    My friend, you are the finest sample of what we tanks call "that @#%@ dps back there with one hand touching himself", of cousr you dont hear it very often because we keep it to ourselves most of the time, but we do pass the list around so good news for you, your boring days for key pressing won't be long.

What may seem like just a longer version of hitting ur rotations, takes knowledge, skill, plan and above all patience. Every boss we must learn the tricks, the phases, and the positions. Every pull we get to watch for the pats, the group make up, the kill orders. Last be not least we have to watch out for people like you here, who is doing his rotation blindly on the wrong mob and will complain about the tank even the rest of the group if you OT.

So i'm sorry, my friend, but we don't share your pain.
    Pass the list around bro. You're doing me a favor.

Stamina and patience are a large part of playing an mmo.
    If that bothers you then it may not be the genre for you.
    But you may find it's not just mmo's where this sort of thing occurs.
    Try learning to play an instrument without playing the same chord progressions over and over until you can jam a whole song out while not looking at the keys and having an angry crowd throw bottles at you.
    Or try being an athlete and doing the same exercises over and over again until your body is fine tuned.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zannah View Post
    Stamina and patience are a large part of playing an mmo.
    If that bothers you then it may not be the genre for you.
    But you may find it's not just mmo's where this sort of thing occurs.
    Try learning to play an instrument without playing the same chord progressions over and over until you can jam a whole song out while not looking at the keys and having an angry crowd throw bottles at you.
    Or try being an athlete and doing the same exercises over and over again until your body is fine tuned.
    I have stamina and patience. IMO, a game shouldn't ever be testing my stamina and patience. Its a game! Im not an athlete but I am casual bodybuilder (see username). I would much rather work out in the gym for over an hour than spend that time grinding an expert dungeon. Also, this is a game(feels like I said that already). That I am paying for. Why dont we just get real and cut the trash mobs hp in half or something? How would it really hurt the gameplay? They already have instance timers so people cant replay them over and over. We dont need to make it test people's patience to deter people, lol. Thats exactly what the timer is for.
    Last edited by AestheticsBrah; 03-28-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Soulwalker

What is the point of racing through content? If u could face-roll experts then raid bosses you would be left with a boring game for months while Trion make new content. Harder content is put in place to control the users pace in completing the all the content. Gives them a time frame for when they need to make new content available to us.

Time for you to find a new game imo

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dheimos View Post
    What is the point of racing through content? If u could face-roll experts then raid bosses you would be left with a boring game for months while Trion make new content. Harder content is put in place to control the users pace in completing the all the content. Gives them a time frame for when they need to make new content available to us.
    I dont think its the difficulty that is really controlling the completion. Its the dungeon timers. Or else what reason is there for timers?

And I always lol at the elitists on this board who think it takes some kind of skill or intelligence to PvE in this game. Its really not that hard. If you think it is, you arent as smart as you think you are. I could teach my dog to play this game. Ok maybe not but hopefully you get the point.

I think a game like Diablo has it about right. Clearing the trash becomes relatively painless, while the boss fight remains somewhat of a challenge. The dungeon is randomized to prevent some of the deja vu. The boss drops a large array of rare items at very rare rates. Its the best way to do it, IMO. Basically, its more about the boss and less about beating mindlessly on trash for an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco3 View Post
    Time for you to find a new game imo
    Its certainly starting to feel that way.

Plane Touched

Why dont we just get real and cut the trash mobs hp in half or something? How would it really hurt the gameplay? They already have instance timers so people cant replay them over and over. We dont need to make it test people's patience to deter people, lol. Thats exactly what the timer is for.
    I actually really agree with this. By doing this, you would not be "flying through content" because the timers would still be in place. All your doing is closing the gap between the boss fights. I like the expert boss fights, and the tank that replied in this forum, while totally full of himself, reminds me of how fun those fights are. But the trash mobs have no good drops, and we are all 50... so exp is meaningless. Why make it take so long? If there was any chance of a wipe on the trash, then your group shouldn't be there. all it does is make it take longer.

+1 to this, although.... this is the MMO standard, and haas always been... so i doubt Trion will change it.
    Last edited by Bartimus; 03-28-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Shield of Telara

I think a game like Diablo has it about right. Clearing the trash becomes relatively painless, while the boss fight remains somewhat of a challenge. The dungeon is randomized to prevent some of the deja vu. The boss drops a large array of rare items at very rare rates. Its the best way to do it, IMO. Basically, its more about the boss and less about beating mindlessly on trash for an hour.
    Maybe you should try D&D Online, it has somewhat random encounters and random mobs, decent collision detection, interesting puzzles, etc., but on epic difficulty the mobs are just the same mobs with 100x hit points. I think you'll find that in any mmo. I have yet to see one that includes "more advanced AI" or something on epic dungeons.

Soulwalker

I agree... the same instance with a few zeros added to trash mob HP is boring... it makes for a grind and its not fun... takes ZERO skill to grind through trash. been playing MMOs for 10 years it has never been fun.

Seems most mmo dev's cop out and take the easy route instead of throwing an added puzzle/gimic or something new to the same instance just the old increase the trash hp for a grind to the boss. I'ld love to see the day where mmo dev's get creative and throw something new into a repeatable instance.

Examples:

Timed events kill x trash before he locks the gate, then say the gate has UBER hp to grind past if it gets locked or a room filling with gas or water clear by X time or a wipe something a little different adds to tension not much to ask for beside ohhh there is the "boring doom guard of HP" for the 19th time on our way to boss so & so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast