+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild perspective: open-world raid rifts

Telaran

Default Guild perspective: open-world raid rifts

I'm trying to give feedback on my guilds view on open-world raid rifts. Even though this post might sound like another whine, it isn't meant to be that.

My guild is an average sized guild, purpose to have just enough people to start on 20-man raiding soon. Yesterday we tried our first 2 raid rifts.

First rift we opened was a death rift. After doing the first stage successfully, we wiped two times on the second stage before we figured out what to do with the globes. We adjusted our tactics and the rift despawned on us. I do not know if this was a bug, or a timer, that was meant to be running in the background.

Anyway, the event seems fun to play, and Rift keeps amazing me how content-rich this game already is compared to many other games.

The second rift we tried was a life rift. During our first try it become quickly obvious how the event should be handled, and it seemed yet another nice mechanic. However, we had to face the open-world character of rifts and we feel our guild was hampered by people from outside trying to join in on our party. We feel they were the cause of several wipes after that.

The things that happened and why my guild would like to plee for closed-off versions on these rifts: Stage 1 of the life rift spawns a big boss that becomes immune to attacks, unless the little idols around him get destroyed. the idols themselves spawn elites when they are being attacked. So the idea seems to kill one idol at a time and move on to the next one. In an open-world environment we had people from outside our group attacking other idols which led to huge amounts of elites running around, which led to several wipes. We feel this shouldn't have happened in a closed-off environment.

Also during this rift, a zone event evolved, and people brought in an event boss while we were doing this rift. All in all these outside interventions made the whole event for us as a guild not much fun at all. My guild would like a choice to have these Rifts to be private. I believe it was being said in the released video that these rifts could be made private, and that Trion wanted to see community feedback on the open-world character of these rifts.

Well here is the feedback of my guild Fractal on Blightweald. We didn't like how others can break into our little guild events. Outsiders have the ability to severely disrupt events in ways I descibed above, and probably in many other ways. I will foresee much grieving in the future as well, when people will start to loose their cool, or if people will disrupt events on purpose.

I play on a PvP server and love doing open world PvP for rare spawn world bosses and what not. But when you have to use items that you farm to open a Rift, it should be something you can avoid having other people join in on.

Also, by making a Raid Rift instance, they can limit the number of people who can participate in the rift event. Right now, I have seen a couple of rift events and both times there were easily 30+ people doing it.

Rift Disciple

Not really sure how they could make them private but yeah not a big fan of the open world nature of them (and I'm on a PvE server). Only done life and water so far and as the OP says life has some quite good mechanics to it but with it open world you have no control over your raid tactics. We actually got lucky and the tag-alongs actually were more helpful than harmful (picking up loose adds etc.) but I can see how it could have easily gone the other way.

Rift Chaser

Their open world aspect is what makes them interesting IMO. If they're instanced, then they basically become just another dungeon and not an open world event that carries with it all the added unpredictability of an open world event.

way

Quote Originally Posted by Steejee View Post
    Their open world aspect is what makes them interesting IMO. If they're instanced, then they basically become just another dungeon and not an open world event that carries with it all the added unpredictability of an open world event.
    yes and no ...
    i mean yeah, you´re right its fun to make it open - but it just sucks when you run an encounter based for 10 man with 30-40 peepz...

Soulwalker

First off, i just want to add that i feel the same way about people ruining my raid rift. I would hate to use my lure and spawn our 10 man raid rift.. just to have ******es come by that don't understand what a raid rift means and simply ruin it for us. On a pvp server, griefers galore for this also.. Oh look guardians are doing a raid rift lets go wipe them for hours till they give up. I would need to have Wayne Brady to choke a *****!

With that said, on the other side of this i really do like this. If a guild is suffering and wants a little help and i can get some sort of reward from it. I would drop what i am doing to go help out because i am a raider and i love this. Would also be nice for recruiting. Look at this guy that's helping he/she is really doing well. Maybe we found a new off tank/healer/dps!

I would also like to add that if they removed this i wouldn't be to happy on it. I don't want a outdoor raid instance so to speak. Maybe i am old fashioned but i come from classic EQ where we had to fight over bosses. This made it very fun in a sort. Also could suck sometimes not getting the kill, but still fun.

My suggestion would be this. Make it like the private group. Private raid option, raid rifts are now closed off and no outside help. This would allow people the option to do both. Not dampering one sides fun. The fact people that maybe cant raid can get some sort of item or currency from it, would really appeal to most casuals. If you don't like other raiders or people helping just flip it over to private, solve your problem. This would also let people watch, i think this would be a interesting way to make it. Letting others watch a raid kind of like a e-sport type of thing is interesting to me at least :P

+ Reply to Thread